Split CPVC Pipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bellanca_Pilot

When we bought or Bounder two weeks ago, I specifically asked if it was winterzed! I was told it was done by Camper World. Either he lied to me (that is what I think) or they are not very good at it. I have spent 12 hours today fixing split CPVC. Every time I get one fixed, I find another leak. I am at the end of my rope. Does anyone have experience usint the newer red and blue colored flex tubing? I have seen it in new units. I am at the point where I am going to rip it "all" out and do "something'!

Dewey

What a pain in the butt. Did you buy from a dealer? If so make a lot of noise. If a private sale, it is going to be an issue.
Replace what you can get at without disassembling the whole coach with Pex pipe. It will be a lot of work.

I'm surprised there is any CPVC in a Bounder - or any other RV.  Pex tubing, or one of its flexible pipe predecessors, is what most manufacturers use. Doesn't make much difference what it is if it froze, though.

1999. And yes it was a private sale but I am going to make a lot of "NOISE"!  :-\

Looks like I am going to redo the intire RV in PEX this week. I know I can do a better job (eliminate traps) that was done with the CPVC.

Dewey

Eliminate traps?  Where did your pipes crack?  In or out?  Waste pipes would be cvpc type, supply should be pex. 

My drains are ABS and the hot and cold water is CPVC. It is a very poor instalation. It split just about everywhere. I spent the day replacing split sections just to find others. Mine is a 1999. I know the new ones are PEX! This 99 will be after tomorrow!

Bellanca_Pilot said:
My drains are ABS and the hot and cold water is CPVC. It is a very poor instalation. It split just about everywhere. I spent the day replacing split sections just to find others. Mine is a 1999. I know the new ones are PEX! This 99 will be after tomorrow!

My '97 Bounder is PEX, and I suspect your '99 was also originally PEX.  The PO probably had a problem once before and used PVC in his attempted repair.  Evidently he didn't learn much the first time around.

Pex will take more cold than CPVC. Pex can expand a bit. CPVC cannot. The only freeze problems one is likely to  encounter with pex is at the fittings or valves. It will be danged hard to rupture a 1/2" or even a 3/4" pex tube itself because of a freeze. I've had my pex system freeze between the fresh tank and pump (there must be a cold spot under the floor because my tank is heated and pump is in the warm) more than once. It's caused no damage once it thaws.

It looks to me like CPVC was used when they built it! I had to get to places that have not been gotten to since it was made. It would seem that PEX would be the best option here. If not for temp but for the ability to flex!

I will make one more suggestion here...

Questions: Who told you it was winterized, and why was it done by campging world.  Oh, and was it in writing?

Take the answers to those questions to a lawyer.    Even if the last answer is NO.

By the way, Since I'm not a lawyer,, I do not need to know the answers.

I appreciate the Attorney comment but I tend to try to give people the opportunity to get it resolved before an attorney gets involved! But, I do have that covered if it gets to that!

Dewey

My 99 Bounder has cpvc in it. I removed the washer and it's behind it and on the water hearer I see it, I even have a cracked valve on the water heated that has to be replaced. And it's on the water pump. If I'm seeing it in all those places I thinking it's in all the RV

Back
Top Bottom