Repair Snow loading damage to Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treclark

I have a Aerolite Cub 23T Hybrid TT, 2000 model.  I bought it used in the South and brought it to New Jersey last winter.  As soon as we got here we got socked with a big storm and put 8-12" of  snow on the roof. The roof now has a very slight bow in it from the center (front side of AC unit) forward on the roof.  When we started camping I noticed that it collected water the roof.  It DOES NOT LEAK yet, but I am afaid it will start to.  I leave it stored with an RV cover and at a slight downward angle on the front so water runs off, but when we are camping and level, I dip it after rains to get rid of the water.  It even collects water from the AC condensation runoff during humid summer weather.  It does not hold more than 2 or 3 gallons, but bothers me none-the-less. I had considered putting a jack on the floor with a pole and a thin piece of thin plywood on top to distribute the load and jacking slowly to see if I can straighten it back out.  Does anyhone have any suggestions short of a repair facility and big $$? Is my Jack idea viable?  I am assuming that since my TT is an ultra light (3600 lbs dry) that it is probably framed in aluminum rather than wood?

treclark

Sounds to me as though your trailer got "lite" by leaving out some of the roof trusses. 8-12 inches of snow in one storm isn't all that much of a load - the roof should be strong enough for you to walk up there, which is probably in the same weight per sq ft range.

I would be very leery of jacking - you risk tearing the roof structure away from the sidewalls.  That wasn't a problem going down, but with the direction of the pressure reversed, who knows what will give first.

2-3 gallons of water sounds like a substantial dip in the roof, but if it is a broad and shallow area I wonder if maybe you could just fill it with a rubber roofing coat compound to bring it up level enough so that water does not pool there? Liquid, paint-on rubber roof repair materials are available through Rv shops and also fro hardware stores in areas where there are lots of mobile homes and also available online.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom