Moab 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you told Portal that you just want a regular FHU site?

And you're right, $35 is a lot of money....and, NO, just because you pay attention to price doesn't mean you shouldn't be RVing.

Sounds like the Keystone cops routine we played out last year. At the risk of again being dumped on for suggesting a change of venue, maybe it's time to choose a different park for next year ???  I really liked the cooperation and flexibility of the prior management and, despite Annie's cryptic notes, she went out of her way to accommodate us.

Inviting folks to the rally, encouraging them to make reservations and then finding they're double booked with someone else doesn't fill me with confidence.

But, maybe we should give the new owners & management a chance to complete their remodeling and their reservations switcharoo before contemplating a change.

Since Portal is doing this major change with the RV pads for sale, we may be forced to find a new venue. And they seem to be pricing many of our forumites out of attending. If we want to stay in Moab, there are plenty of other RV parks. If we want to stay in Utah, Torrey and Kanab come to mind. Buellton, California, has been suggested. I believe that past rallys were held in Estes Park.

I'm not saying we SHOULD move somewhere else for a spring rally but I am saying that maybe we should consider alternate places.

Wendy
ducking

When the new Portal is completed, it will be all owned lots and we won't be able to go there any longer, unless the plans have changed.  It's certainly going to be a topic of much discussion this year.

Torrey is nice, but early May is a bit early for there.  Estes Park rallies were in the summer, you'd need chains to get there at the end of April.  St. George is another possibility.

Wendy,

If you are price conscious forget about Buellton CA. Last year rates $31-$40.
Another suggestion would be Ruby's Inn at Bryce canyon. End of April maybe a little to early. We plan to stop there on our way to Moab.

chris

Ron

You show Dobrin, Griefer, Woods and Jones in spaces lettered Rxx. No such space numbers are listed on the site map. Could those be Mxx ???

The assigned numbers are what was provided by Portal so I have no reason to suspect they are in error.  According to the list they gave us the new sights nbrs are Mxx and Rxx.

Bernie, R56 was also given to me on the phone by Portal yesterday. They said the site isn't yet complete, so I assume they haven't updated the map on the web site.

Ned said:
When the new Portal is completed, it will be all owned lots and we won't be able to go there any longer...

Ned, it's also possible that the owned lots would go into a rental pool with the park acting as rental managers. Haven't seen or heard any confirmation of this, but it would be an added attraction for potential lot buyers; They'd get income when their lot isn't being rented, just the way owners at Outdoor Resorts, TGO and other places do.

OTOH since it appears the lots will developed, I assume that rental prices will be significantly higher.

As I recall, the park will be for class A motorhomes only, like ORA, so that would eliminate some of our group.  And I expect the rental fees, if any, will be higher than we're used to paying.

Didn't realize there would be a restriction on RV types. That would sure rule it out as a rally site for Framily members.

Anyone traveling south after the Moab rally, Monticello is having their second "Blue Mountain Festival of the Old West" May 10-12. There's info here. Sounds like fun.

I just got off the phone with Portal, they confirmed that they have Penn and Moeller listed for full hook up sites in the section yet to be completed(which will be gravel).  He wouldn't give site numbers, saying that they don't guarantee specific sites. He also said that The list Ron posted was limited to the names Ron gave him, others such as myself who told them we were with the RV Forum were not included in the data he gave Ron.

Ron, would you inclued Robert & Mary Penn, Sue and James Moeller and Jim and Ruby Laney in your list please?

Robert,

I assume Laney is the other neighbor who's name I couldn't recall. Are they reserved at Moab?

Barb,

I really like the campground you suggested.  I get the feeling we need to make other arrangements for next year for sure.  Perhaps we can reserve the entire campground, then release the sites that aren't taken at a specific date right before our rally without penality. 

I love Portal, but don't like the "shuffling" uncertainity stuff.

Marsha~

Perhaps we can reserve the entire campground

Marsha,

I really don't know how that would work.  If they would give us a group discount.  Or if it would be better to make our own resv. for the PA, or CCU price.  I'm hoping some of the staff members will check out the park while we're in Moab.  I don't know who's the decider as to where we will go.  I know in the past members have been very happy with Portal.  And they went above and beyond with our incident last year.  Which was not their fault.  I hope there's no repeat.  But is sounds like Portal is moving on to bigger and better things, so I guess it time for old traditions to end, and new ones to begin.  I enjoyed the rally last year, and I hope we will be able to continue it some where.  I hope the OK Park will be turn out to be a good choice.

Barb said:
I'm hoping some of the staff members will check out the park while we're in Moab.

Barb,

Forum staff aren't necessarily rally organizers or deciders, it's really a group decision where rallies are held or, in some cases, an individual picks a place and invites the Framily. It might make sense for a small subgroup representative of all attendees at Moab to visit other RV park(s) in the area and report back at one of the happy hour sessions (before libations). Of course, this shouldn't inhibit anyone who wants to go check out other parks and provide their input to the discussion.

Edit: For clarification, forum staff manage the online presence of the RV Forum and help folks with such things as providing advice and answering questions. Some of the staff happen to actively participate in organizing rallies and related activities, but they do that because they're natural organizers who also enjoy the company of other forumites, not specifically because they're staffers. (Hope I didn't confuse it further.)

Back
Top Bottom