Moab 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We stayed at OK last August....not too many people there at that time of year. It's run by a little old lady who I believe is the owner. It's on the south side of town, off the beaten path. If you've noticed the fairgrounds on the east side of the highway, it's right by there. It's probably closer to town than Portal is. The spaces weren't overly wide but then, neither are Portals. One area that has longer sites is right next to the stables so it could get a little fragrant. There are good places to walk dogs just outside the park. The restroom was old but clean. I don't remember much more except that I know the electric worked great....we ran the A/C all day and up until 10 pm. Of course, there were only 3 other units in the place. I'd stay there again.

The lady running it did comment that things are busy in the spring when the jeeps arrive.

Richard, it's Outdoor Resorts of America. They operate motorcoach resorts in places such as Las Vegas, Indio, Port St. Lucie, FL and Newport, OR. We haven't stayed at Indio or Port St. Lucie, but the other two are really nice parks. The lots are either owned or for sale and, when the owners aren't using them, can be put into a rental pool.

Barb said:
Here's a http://www.okrvpark.com/park, I think might be worth checking out.  It's a PA and CCU park.  If offers unlimited says.  Has 50A, allows all types of rv's, and is in the right price range.  I'm not sure how close it is to town, but we might have to give that up to stay in Moab.

Lucy could get George to bring his horse(s) and put on a rodeo show for the forum.

For the benefit of our newer Forumites, when we feel it's time for a change of venue, everyone throws their ideas into the ring and we take a vote.  We were in Estes Park for several years (summer), got bored with it, and moved to Moab (spring) where there's always been a lot to do and with good restaurants.

I don't hold a lot of hope for Portal this year.  When Jerry spoke with them yesterday mention was made of having some problems with the city.  We know the Moab city management tends to change its mind in the middle of projects (remember that tram to a hilltop restaurant that got started and never finished because the Moab powers that be changed course mid-stream?).  If Moab truly is the problem and holding things up and Portal can't get its utililites in as planned, it will be the pits for our rally. IMHO.  Portal could wind up in court just like the tram people.

Also, I took a good look at the site plan.  The first row doesn't appear to be pull-throughs if the map is at all accurate.  Maybe whoever drew it was doing an artist's perception, but there's apparently a tree behind each of those sites so all would be back-in.  While we're in town it might be a good idea to drive around and look at other places.  The old management was accomodating, but the new one appears to have different attitudes and different goals which, at this point, don't seem to be in keeping with those of the Forum.  For me, the attraction of the old Portal was a more rustic setting in keeping with its surroundings.  I don't think I'll find the new Portal as attractive if what I'm hearing is any indication.

Finally, does anyone know if they'll still have a pavilion in which we can meet?  The site plan has a structure where the old one was, but it's not marked.

Wendy, if you can make it down to Moab, that might be a good idea.  Nothing like a first hand report to either quell or raise concerns!  ;D

ArdraF

ALL,

It's Friday (3/23) at 1:15pm and I just talked to the Portal RV Park again.  The news is GOOD!

We ALL will have sewer, electric and water, even in the NEW sites, because on Tuesday  (3/27)
the City of Moab will sign off on their permits.

They said everything is done regarding the electrical, water, and sewer installation so they can
turn it all on when they have the permits in hand. 

They too are very happy because now they will have the same for Jeep week which is one week
before our rally.

JerryF

Jackliz said:
We will not be attending this Rally and $35/night is a lot of money. So our "Premium" site will open. Anybody want it?  Please let me know and then I will call Portal to cancel.

Liz,

My friends Mike and Ann Shedivy are supposedly on a waiting list with Portal. They attended the rally last year.  They have not heard anything yet.  If you have not yet cancelled you may tell them that Mike and Ann want to come to Moab this year.  I've let Mike and Ann know to mention your  name and site when they call.  Thanks for letting us know.  Could you let me know when you call Portal so I can call Ann and Mike.

Betty Brewer

ALL,

It's Thursday 3/29 and I again talked to the Portal RV Resort.  Yesterday they DID get their signed-off permits from the City of Maob.  The good news is that we ALL, even the new sites, will have sewer, water and electric hook ups for the RV Forum rally.

JerryF

We had to go to Moab yesterday to do some jobs. While we were there, we took a look at Portal. People were working like crazy and it looks they're getting it all done. The "premium" sites are gravel. The two rows closest to the highway are done.  They moved the cabins over next to the ponds. There's a lot of "stuff" stored in the pavilion....do we have that to use while we're there?

Here are some pics to give you an idea what's going on.

portal 1 - row with sites M13 through M24
portal 2 - row with M26 through M34
portal 3 - pedestal is for site R53
portal 4 - looking through the construction area toward The Portal

Attachments

• portal-1.jpg
    portal-1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 70
  • portal-2.jpg
    portal-2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 61
  • portal-3.jpg
    portal-3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 61
  • portal-4.jpg
    portal-4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the update and the photos Wendy. I guess Smoky will have to dry camp by the river 'cos the field is no longer.

BTW, they're widening the road between Monticello and Moab. Where they're blasting and removing rock, the road is one-lane for about 10 miles, led by pilot car. We sat for 15 minutes going to Moab and another 15 minutes going home. Don't know what their timetable is, but be ready if you're approaching Moab from the south.

Wendy,

Thanks so much for the first hand report and photos.  Appreciate your effort.  Wow, it looks like they still have a lot to do.  I'll bet they've been in a panic trying to get it all finished.  Guess we won't have to worry about trees getting in the way of satellite dishes.  OTOH we'll have unobstructed views of The Portal.  ;)

ArdraF

Wendy and Betty,
I just got off of the phone with Portal and have updated all of the information on the site that Wendy had (#26 I believe) so it now reflects data for Linda and Dean Stock.  Thanks to all for the effort to get us into Portal, I can now cancel the other reservation that I had at Sliprock.  We are looking forward to seeing all of you and Moab. 

Dean and Linda

We are not going to be able to make Moab this year -- relatives coming to town.  I am getting ready to cancel my reservation.  Should I do so in a way to pass it on to some one attending the rally?  If so let me know how.

Carl:

If your site is in the regular section 1-38 and is a FHU please have them put my name on it. (I already have a reservation in the new area.)

Thanks

Jeff Cousins said:
Carl:

If your site is in the regular section 1-38 and is a FHU please have them put my name on it. (I already have a reservation in the new area.)

Thanks

It was not in that section, sorry.  It was in the new section.  They will be going to their waiting list.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom