EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Explorer RV insurance quote  (Read 3811 times)

bluefire1914

• ---
Explorer RV insurance quote
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are taking delivery of our Jayco 5th wheel Pinnacle May 1.  We are trying to get insurance quotes.  One of the ones I heard about was Explorer RV, and I submitted a request for a quote online.  It came back at $410 per year.

The only thing that concerns me is that there was no question about use of the RV.  In my request for a quote, it never asked if we're using it for luxury, or if we are going to be full-timing.

If I accept this quote and something happens, are we going to be screwed?  We will be full-timing and will be parked at a mobile home park for now.

falconhunter

• ---
Re: Explorer RV insurance quote
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
I would suggest that you get several quotes(at least 3) and compare the cost and coverage before you purchase.
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 4 wheel drive,410 with Aisin (Gus)
2011 Carriage Carri-Lite 36 MAX1 With Mor/ride IS System and disc brakes(Clara)

Full timing and loving it!

Enjoy life now.
It has an expiration date.

falconhunter

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
To answer your original question. I would make sure it covered you full time. We were asked about full time whenever we received quotes and the price and coverage was a little different when full timing.

Enjoy life now.

bluefire1914

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
Ok, thanks! I think I'll call instead of rely on the online quote.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
My National Interstate policy (through Explorer RV) comes with a statement that I sign and return indicating whether use is fulltime or not. Fulltime is anything over 150 nights/year on that policy. The cost difference isn't that great, though.  We were paying about $60/yr more when we were in fulltime mode.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

bluefire1914

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
Okay, I was able to get a quote I can live with.  $516 a year.  Not great, but not terrible.  I took the roadside assistance off since I get that already through the extended warranty.  I went through RV America / Triumphe.  Which I think is the same as Explorer as well.

The cool thing is that they lower the premium by 25% each year if you remain claim-free, which we certainly hope to be able to do.

All in all, it's not complete robbery.

falconhunter

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
Okay, I was able to get a quote I can live with.  $516 a year.  Not great, but not terrible.  I took the roadside assistance off since I get that already through the extended warranty.  I went through RV America / Triumphe.  Which I think is the same as Explorer as well.

The cool thing is that they lower the premium by 25% each year if you remain claim-free, which we certainly hope to be able to do.

All in all, it's not complete robbery.

Are you sure about the 25% off of the premium each year? I know some places have Diminishing Deductibles. That sounds too good to be true.

Enjoy life now.

bluefire1914

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
Falconhunter, after I did some calculations, it does sound too good to be true. . .It means that next year I'll be paying less than $400, and the year after that it goes down by another $90 something dollars.

She did say 25%, but it doesn't make sense.  I'll have to double check on that and let you guys know.

falconhunter

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
I would call them back and have them explain that to you. My Progressive has diminishing deductibles at 25% a year.

Enjoy life now.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
Yes, it would be the deductible that decreases 25% each year until in year 5 it's 0 as long as you keep renewing the policy.  Premiums, on the other hand, rarely go down unless you change the coverages.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

FrankNSharon

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
I tried to apply for Insurance with them online, got to the third or fourth page and it said my coach was too old - they do not insure older than 1984 and we have an  '83...

Frank

Hosted by Over The Network