Rip in fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyefighter

I noticed a 6 to 8 inch rip (tree branch?) on the side about 6" below the roof of my motorhome after a month of owing it.  The siding look like it has pulled away from the metal frame and insulation about the same 6 to 8 inches to about 4 feet below the rip.  I've thought of using some fiberglass resin and poring it down the rip so it will go to the bottom and placing some lumber along the side to hold it in place while it cures.  Then I thought about the heat that the resin might create and if that happens will it affect the insulation and melt it.  Anyone out there care to help.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Resin and catalyst, mixed in the recommended proportions, will not create excessive heat. Getting it to flow evenly along the separation area is another story. I don't see how that can be done easily - maybe a brush would work if you have room to use one. In any event, do't use a fast curing epoxy as it may set before you've had time to apply it evenly, and you may end up with raised spots beneath the surface. My suggetion would be to let a professional do the job. 

I had thought of the fast curing being a little too quick and letting a pro do the work.

Thanks,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom