Turbo on 2011 Itasca Meridian gone bad....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

We took our 2011 Itasca Meridian into a Cummins dealer for a check engine light that had come on during our drive back from picking it up!  It seems it's from a faulty repair that was done back in Iowa.  What I was told is that there was a repair done by a Cummins dealer in Iowa and it wasn't done properly and now the part that they replaced is no longer available and now they will have to replace the entire turbo.  While I know nothing about engines, I'm just telling you what he said so please excuse any incorrect terminology.  He also said that Cummins is saying that they won't cover it.  I'm not sure how they can even try and say that since we've only owned the MH since Dec. 31st.  The Service Repairman that I'm working with said that he'll get it taken care of but that it's going to take a few days.  I'm just wondering if there is something else I should be doing?  Should I contact Winnebago, Camping World (where I purchased the rig)?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of freaking out right now!!
Thanks in advance

He said it was done by Cummins back in Iowa.  He is an authorized Cummins distributor here in California.  Thanks, I'm trying to be patient.  It's just a little frustrating!!

[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]..... the part that they replaced is no longer available[/font]

[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]What?  A part on a 2011 Cummins engine is no longer available?  I think I would require an explanation for how that could happen![/font]

It's the new 2011 380hp motor.  I'm not sure who to ask for a more detailed answers.  That was what the service rep told me and without calling him a liar...I think I have to take what he says as factual, don't you?

If you bought it in Dec. 2010 and the coach was built before that at somepoint in 2010, then its build date is 2010 but first sold  as a 2011 model ::)>>>Dan ( I'll bet if you look up the engine serial number you will find it a 2010)

You're probably correct.  What we were told is that they built 360 first and then the second half of the year went to the 380's.  We have the 380, so it's the last size built for our model.

Even if you bought it used ( it looks like you did hence being repaired in Iowa) you should have the Cummins "Operation and maintenance manual", study it and fill out the front pages for future reference, you need to be as knowledgeable as possible about the drivetrain, the most expensive part of the coach.>>>Dan  (Not to make fun of you because I'm not, but as a 30 year aviation mechanic I'm reminded of an incident I had once with a young female pilot that had just landed for fuel, 30 min. later tried to start the aircraft, no way,, after she had ground the starter to death I walked out to help. She stated " I turn the key and it won't go"!! After showing her how to properly start the thing, and starting it, she slammed the canopy and took off with out a word)

That's simply ridiculous.  My husband is a retired Cummins Toolmaker.  He said they have to make parts for several years for those engines.  On top of that, if it's a really old engine, the toolroom would make parts, if needed.

I'm sure this will be resolved for you.

Sheila

We did not buy it USED.  It was a brand new coach that we bought from Winnebago.  We got the paperwork direct from the factory!  We bought it from Camping World in Portland, so it did have to drive out from Iowa.  We have gone through the maintenance manuals, that is why it is now in the shop because we had a "check engine" code. 

Sheila,  I'm sure it will work out.  There is no way that this isn't covered under our warranty.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so gruff.  It's just been a tough day dealing with the Service tech and such.  I just want to get it fixed and get on with it!  I did call and speak with Owner Relations at Winnebago and he said that he can see where it was worked on during the trek out to California.  He said for me not to worry that it would definitely be fixed and a NO cost to us!  Thank goodness I was starting to think lawsuit....and I hate to think that way but this is ridiculous.

When you get the unit back,,you should get all the service and repair paperwork with it. Transcribe the engine serial number, fuel pump model and serial number, and turbo model and serial number into the front section of your Cummins manual,, you will be glad you did. ( also all filter numbers, air, oil, fuel)>>>D

I would contact the Cummins Factory.  I had a problem with an auto years back that a dealer wouldn't honor warrentee.  I talked to the factory and the dealer got a stinging phone call from the factory telling them how to treat their customers.  Maybe the dealer will come around, but it's the factory that backs the warranty, not the dealer.

I actually have all of that in the canvas bag that came with the mh.  It's just that it's with the MH!  I just got off the phone with Winnebago and they said not to worry, that it will be taken care of, whew!  And, I just spoke with my service rep and what he said is it's not that the part is obsolete, but that the part is not sold separately!  They have to purchase the entire turbo and not just this part but because the original repair was done at Cummins, they were able to somehow get this part.  He is just having an issue because he says that what Cummins is saying is that the first fix since it was done improperly should have to pay and my guy would have to go after them for payment and not Cummins directly.  He isn't saying that I'll have to pay, in fact he is saying that I definitely won't have to pay, but that it just slows up his process.  He can't even order the turbo parts until he has it approved.  I think this is a paperwork nightmare!!!  Good thing seems to be that they've identified what my problem is and that it's also the reason that my exhaust brake didn't seem to be working properly.  I don't understand it, but I'm sure you engine techy's will!  Thanks for letting me vent!!! 

And yes to Dan's question.  We do have the Urea system.

By LAW, all manufacturers are required to make parts available for 10 model years.  I find it hard to believe that they would not have that part even though there has been some cases where a part has been modified after initial production to cure a problem and there could be a shortage of the part. Cummins has a good reputation that they must maintain.  I would be asking questions.

Most of the turbos used on the Cummins engines come from Holset. The individual parts for it are not usually sold. Usually if a turbo fails, a rebuilt (or new) one is swapped in. Most folks don't have the skills necessary to take apart a turbo (which sounds like the problem you encountered).  It's Holset, not Cummins that would manufacture the parts for it.

Back
Top Bottom