Turbo on 2011 Itasca Meridian gone bad....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to let you guys/gals know that I got a call from my Service Rep and they got it resolved and everything is covered.  A new turbo has been ordered and should be installed and done first of the week.  This has been a rather strange situation...we bought this rig from Camping World in Portland.  Somehow, from the time it was built at the factory and while it was on the lot it was worked on for this valve (or whatever) on the turbo.  Winnebago had record of this, shouldn't someone have told us?  When you buy a used vehicle you can get "car facts" is there such an animal for RV's?  If not, shouldn't there be?  Someone earlier said that since it had been worked on that we had purchased a "USED" mh.  I'm just wondering what any of you would do in our situation?  It is being fixed and completely covered, but is that enough?  Just putting that out there.  Thanks for listening...

Not often, but more than you might think, a new unit being driven to the dealer, something happens and has to be taken care of.  It is on the MFG at that point, not even the dealer, because the dealer hasn't taken possession yet. 

Your warranty i staking care of it.  Just keep all the paperwork in case there is an issue down the road, in the meantime, get it back and enjoy it. 

Thanks Pancake Bill.  This has been a rough day all around.. when you purchase something of this magnitude and something like this happens so quickly you start to rethink your choice.  We thought we did our research and felt that Winnebago/Itasca as and is a good reliable product.  Hoping this isn't one of those "lemons" you hear about because we really do love the rig!

One of the 'joys' of buying new.  You get to discover and shake out the bugs.  One of the jokes in the service bays, 'cust'  I want it fixed like new!  'svc guys' well I guess we just going to have to break a dozen items!

We had several items that needed fixing in our brand new Bounder when we bought it last year, including a screen door that was installed wrong at the factory, and an airconditioner controller that went bad after a short time. They eventually got this stuff fixed at no cost to us, except that it was a 30 minute drive to the dealer, so it was a hassle. Apparently this is "normal" for a new coach. So you're not alone in that frustration.

Thanks, misery does loves company!  We have to drive 1 1/2 hours to the nearest Freightliner shop.  Right now it's a pain, because we are both still working full time!  After we retire, I'm thinking we can plan service and necessary repairs around outings. ;D  We bought a demo last time and thought that since the owner of the dealership had personally used it the bugs would be worked out...surprise!!  We still had plenty of issues.  The were different with that unit because they tended to be more with the quality of the way the things were built.  We had slide trouble most of the time because our slides were built with cables and the main  slide was just too heavy and the cables kept breaking!  We had warranty coverage so money wasn't the issue, but it still was a pain in the backside that's for sure!  I am hoping that once we get this one fixed, we will be trouble free for a while anyway!  This issue seems to be a huge part of some of the things that we thought we were having trouble and they seem to be connected.  We had a small list going, Check Engine light, exhaust brake, and an strange air noise right before we started up.  They all seem to be related and the rep said he thinks that the replacement of the turbo will take care of all of it.  So, let's keep our fingers crossed!!

My last coach was a HR B+ Augusta. Having had a HR TT years ago, I was expecting HR quality. Right out of the box we started having problems, the privacy curtain was screwed into the headliner with nothing behind it, first trip the power panel caught on fire with the A/C on. Returned unit to Monacao where they found out the slides were leaking really bad. The unit sat at Monacao for 2 1/2 months. Finally got it back, had cabinet issues called Monacao only to find they were bankrupt. Fixed cabinets myself. Last trip, the electrical problems returned even worse...traded unit.....

Yikes!  Like I said...misery does love company!!  I'm sure hoping we are not going down your path!!!LOL  Good luck with your new unit, hope things are going okay!

I think Winnebago/Itasca is in it for the long term now that the economy seems to have stabilized. All new units go through a period where they have their problems. So far the Fleetwood seems to being doing real good in comparsion to the HR. We will really find out starting next Friday when we set out for a month long trip. I have had a couple light bulbs out but so far everything else seems ok.

I do hope you get your problems worked out and get out camping. All manufacturers produce a lemon once in a while and hopefully you don't get one. What ever you do, keep all your receipts and records so if it should come down to that you have it documented.

Thanks for the advice.  We chose Itasca because our other mh manufacturer went out of business along with the dealer where we had purchased it!  TG we had the extended warranty, it really saved our butts.  In just 2 years we had over 4K in repair bills that we would have had to pay ourselves!!  Learned from that lesson for sure.  We do keep good records and all in a nice case in the MH, which is why when fellow forumers asked questions earlier, I couldn't give specific numbers!! LOL

We hope to have it back the middle of next week and then we do have some nice short trips planned.  I envy you on your upcoming trip!  Enjoy!!

Hopefully you will be happy with the repairs and all will be well. Spring is almost here so away we go. Right now it is too crowded her in Fl so we don't do any local camping here this time of year.

utahclaimjumper said:
That model does not use the Holset turbo.>>>Dan (Its the Cummins VGT)

Really?  Somebody shoulda told Cummins that! ;D

Attachments

• 0301011320 s.jpg
    0301011320 s.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 0301011320a s.jpg
    0301011320a s.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 26
Sarge,, how are you getting a picture of someone else's engine?? ( VGT= variable GEOMITRY TECHNOLIGY) can be Holset or Cummins>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
Sarge,, how are you getting a picture of someone else's engine?? ( VGT= variable GEOMITRY TECHNOLIGY) can be Holset or Cummins>>>Dan

Not somebody else's, that's mine!  VGT and all! VGT has been around since my last rig in 06' and that was a Holset too! I don't build em' I just use em.............

Just wanted to give an update.  Picked up the motorhome yesterday and all is well!  Thank Goodness.  They ended up replacing the entire turbo.  It was the actuator box (whatever that is!!) They were told by Cummins that they had to order the entire turbo and when it arrived it was missing the Actuator box, so they ended up having to order it anyway.  Every thing seems to be working fine now and we are now looking forward to our next outing...

Good luck on your shake down...ours obviously had some hiccups, but we are good to go now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom