Coleman Pop Up crank parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondguy

I am helping a friend find parts for their 1995 Coleman Utah pop up. The piece that the handle connects to crank up the unit is broken. they have been using a big screwdriver to crank it up, but it's not that easy. Anyone have a parts breakdown, source for parts, for the crank assembly?

Thanks

You say they are using a big screwdriver.. Describe the crank.. If the end is a flat "Blade" like on a straight end screwdriver... Then you can go to a metal shop and get a piece of rod stock bent into a crank

I did that for my Apache.

On the Apache I needed a slotted end in the crank (So I cut a slot) but if you need a flat blade you cn grind that on too.. You simply grind the "Business" end

To slot, use a standard circular saw (Like a carpenter does) and put a grinding blade in it.

To make a flat end... You use a standard grinder

For other shapes... Depends on the shape needed.

If you need a "Socket" end then you grind either a 1/4 or 3/8" square, and epoxy on the proper wrench socket. 

Actually in the case of needing a socket end (Fits over a nut) you use 1/4 or 3/8" bar stock instead of rod stock to make the crank,, Slip a piece of pipe over the handle end.

Their crank has pins coming out of each side, it fit into a sleeve connected to the crank with slots. They are able to do it with a screwdriver now because there is a slot in the broken sleeve, but it is tough to raise/lower it.

try this site.
http://www.pop-up-campers-trailer.com/pop-up-camper-parts.html
J

If the link 34foter posted does not help, then again rod stock, bent into a crank, drill it and a roll pin in the hole, and instant crank.

or drill, tap and a Grade 8 bolt, cut the head off after screwing it in.

John From Detroit said:
If the link 34foter posted does not help, then again rod stock, bent into a crank, drill it and a roll pin in the hole, and instant crank.

or drill, tap and a Grade 8 bolt, cut the head off after screwing it in.

problem, isn't the crank handle, but what it goes into. If I can find a parts breakdown, I'm sure I can find the part for my friends. The above link didn't help much though.

I actually found a lift system repair manual! No part numbers, but at least I know what's in there.

Part 12 is broken, it is the tube the crank handle goes into. But now I know what's in there, I might be able to get it apart, maybe even make one for them. It's hard finding parts when you don't have a part #, or the correct manufacturer's description for the part!

Attachments

• lift.gif
    lift.gif
    56.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the drawing, however I can't see how to get to the mechanism on my 1994 Coleman Avalon. Do you have to remove the plastic piece on the outside or is there a panel on the inside to access the mechanism. Crank won't lift, there is something broken between crank and drive shaft under camper. Does anyone have an owners or repair manual for this RV? Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom