Winnebago cabinetry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

After replacing the front TV, I need to fill in around it with wood trim parts. Having a lot of trouble matching the wood. Pretty sure its oak and have tried 5 different stains and can't seem to get anything to match.

Anyone know what it should be for a 2000 Journey.

When I replaced our glass monster, I had quite a bit of new cabinetry to match with the old sun darkened cherry.  You can try mixing stains - that's what I did and after about five tries, I got an excellent match.  Make a test plank of the same wood and stain an area of about 5" x 5" (or larger) and let it dry.  If you need it darker, leave the stain on longer or use a gel stain.

Birch is an excellent wood choice to stain to match existing, you could try staining birch and see how close you can get.

Color matching is a woodworking skill, or maybe I should say "art".The name of the color, e.g. oak, means nothing. An "oak" from two different stain manufacturers will be different colors. The very same oak stain on different types of lumber, e.g. oak vs birch, will color differently. And the very same stain applied with different techniques will color darker or lighter. You will just have to experiment with technique and brands/colors, and very likely have to blend them as John suggests.

Oak is generally a light colored stain, but also comes in different colored varieties such as "golden" (more yellow) and "red" (closer to mahogany) or "plantation" (more brown).

Since we're on the subject of "Winnebago cabinetry" I thought I'd ask a question.  Can I order a door replacement from Winnebago for my coach?  The receiver from Dishnetwork is in a cabinet above the TV and with the door closed it doesn't work.  We want to put glass in the door panel but we're afraid if we ruin the door, we will be stuck with a ruined door...so, can we order a replacement?  Thanks and good luck on the staining! 

You can order replacement doors and drawers from Winnebago. We got extra drawers for our bathroom (big empty area with one drawer where 3 fit) from Lichtsinn, great people to work with.

Wendy

You can have stains computer matched at Sherwin Williams paint stores as well as some others like Home Depot ( they would be my last choice). Take a finished trim piece with you and a raw piece of oak and the coputer reads the finish and gives a matching formula. You will have to apply the top coat which I would assume is laquer. Good luck!

From the, "For what it's worth section". You can buy doors, drawer fronts, door boxes, etc. on line. After removing the bedroom TV, I decided to find a cabinet front that would fit, so I can mount a flat panel on it and have several cubic feet of new found storage. I Google-d cabinet doors and could have a custom for $ 65.00.  I got one from a local cabinet place for $ 20.00. With piano hinge, the new door ---- I should be in great shape. A before and after pix,when I'm finished.
Then the same for the front TV.

Don't know about yours but our MH has stickers on the inside of the doors etc that list the part number etc. which can then be traced for the color. I tried to match a door on ours as we were putting extra doors on the booth( can't figure out why there weren't doors to access the storage??) the color is Vienna Maple Coffee Glaze, even a local shop specializing in matching could not get it.....ended up ordering doors from Winnebago and they are very $$$...

4ducksrus said:
Since we're on the subject of "Winnebago cabinetry" I thought I'd ask a question.  Can I order a door replacement from Winnebago for my coach?  The receiver from Dishnetwork is in a cabinet above the TV and with the door closed it doesn't work.  We want to put glass in the door panel but we're afraid if we ruin the door, we will be stuck with a ruined door...so, can we order a replacement?  Thanks and good luck on the staining!

I don't know about Dish but Direct TV has an RF remote that works through wood. You might check with Dish to see if they have one.

I have glass in my doors and Lichtsinn might be able to cross yous to one with glass. Winne makes a lot of parts the same size, model to model and year to year.

Even with glass I keep the cabinet doors open because it gets real hot in there when the receiver and other electronics is operating.

Here's another idea. When we installed the new TV, I couldn't swing the doors open all the way to access the Direct TV receiver and leave them open so the remote would work, so we removed the doors, and bought a nice picture frame and the DW made a crewel work eagle and put it in the frame which was mounted over the opening with Velcro fastenings. The glass was left out of the frame, and it serves as a way to cool the cabinet with my receiver and disk players as well.

Lee

Director said:
From the, "For what it's worth section". You can buy doors, drawer fronts, door boxes, etc. on line. After removing the bedroom TV, I decided to find a cabinet front that would fit, so I can mount a flat panel on it and have several cubic feet of new found storage. I Google-d cabinet doors and could have a custom for $ 65.00.  I got one from a local cabinet place for $ 20.00. With piano hinge, the new door ---- I should be in great shape. A before and after pix,when I'm finished.
Then the same for the front TV.

I'd really like to see your before and after pic when you finish.  I also have a 2005 Adventurer and would like to see how you did this with the bedroom TV...sounds like a great idea! 

Margaret

Margret,
I will take pix of before and after. My wife has claimed the bedroom TV space and naturally is trying for some of mine where the front TV frees up space. Hope it all works as the vision in my head.

Thanks Max...I'll watch for pics.  I did a slide out for the bedroom TV using drawer slides and that gives room for DVD storage behind it and player below it, but I really like your idea of using a cabinet door to mount the TV with a piano hinge...would give much more room behind TV and easy to get to.  It would also make it possible to move up to a 32" TV.  :)   

I had the same problem when I replaced my TV.  The reason you cannot match the stain is Winne mixes the stain and sealer and sprays it on raw wood.  I solved the problem by ordering drawer fronts from Lichtsinn Mts and made my trim out of them.  If you layout your work you can minimize the number of cut edges you have to stain. I think there are some pictures of my installation in the system somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom