insulation under driver seat in Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbpine

we are removing carpet in our MH class A and found silver insulation under driver seats, where can we get more of this? I assume its for heat reduction from engine compartment?

Any hardware store will have some version of that stuff, you DEFINITELY want to keep or replace it.  Cuts down on a lot of heat and noise from the engine compartment.  I insulated the underside of our doghouse cover, and used this product or something very similar from JCWhitney.  Actually what I bought was a kit that included a couple sheets of insulation and a can of super-sticky spray adhesive.  I plan to use the same stuff under the cab carpet (as you described already having) when we replace it in the next year or two.

If you are putting more carpet back down, I'd be interested to hear/see how that project goes! :)

The silver stuff is a radiant barrier, and often has a "bubble" type cell structure as well. You can get radiant barrier material in any home or hardware store. You can get heavy duty heat resistant insulation at auto parts stores too.

I have used the bubble stuff from the local suppliers but have found that when it is stepped on, the bubbles break.  I have found some new stuff, haven't tried it yet, called "EZ Cool Insulation", http://www.lobucrod.com/, that did not break down when I stepped on the sample they sent me.  The sample was just about the size of my foot so I think it was a fair, but not scientfic, test.  I intend to get a fairly large roll, at least 4'X50' to put on the firewall, the side panel beside the driver and possibly on the floor of the bays below my slideout trays.

We need all the help we can get when we leave MT in November, December or January.  Because of the weather and travel plans, it will be summer before I can do anything.

I just bought the EZ Cool insulation for use under the engine dog box and I'm very pleased with it. Wish I had found this before I installed the new carpet in the drivers area, I would have used it there as well.. I just used standard carpet underlayment in that area.

Back
Top Bottom