Using a Toyota 4-runner as a Toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb and Alex

We'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses a Toyota 4-runner as a Toad.  We know it requires a conversion to be towable but are interested to know if anyone has done that and if there have been any issues or lessons learned.

Thanks,
Barb and Alex
www.adventures-unlimited.net

We had a 2000 4Runner, 2WD, that we thought about towing, but the extra weight, the trans pump, etc. seemed a little overwhelming and expensive.

Instead, we are towing our 2006 Honda Accord, 6-spd manual, somewhat lighter, and which will require no mods. We will use the Air Force One braking system off the coach air brakes.

I miss the space and utility we had in the 4Runner, but we had the Honda fitted with a receiver hitch so the bikes could still rack up on the hitch style Saris rack and we could transport our bikes out somewhere that we wanted to ride.

Now, I think we need a Jeep for out West.  ;)

So, most everything is a compromise. Good luck and welcome to the Forum!  ;D

The newer 4-runners have some sort of a "creeper" function which allows them to climb rocks as very slow speeds.  That's the main reason we're trying to make that vehicle work for us.  My husband wants to do some bouldering in AZ.

Do you hall your bikes on your receiver hitch of your tow vehicle while in route?  I hadn't thought about using one of those for bicycles.  Great idea. 

You've hit the nail on the head with "compromising"  Right now my husbands list of toys he wants to bring along is very long....we need to see how weight will factor in.  We might have to leave some toys at home with friends and rotate them in and out of use.   

Barb and Alex said:
Do you hall your bikes on your receiver hitch of your tow vehicle while in route?  I hadn't thought about using one of those for bicycles.  Great idea. 

Yes, the bikes are light, as is the bike rack.

As far as "stuff" goes, start out slow and light, get your bearings, and then you will have a better feel for what you "need" which is sometimes in conflict with what you "want".

It'll be fun whichever way you choose! there's no "right" or "wrong" way!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom