Sunseeker 2450 with slideout 24 foot class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aniagara

Hi!  We're new and clueless - headed out for 2 wks to see family far away with our little ones. We've borrowed every RV book from the library and will have an orientation from the rental company the day we rent - but I thought I'd ask-

Does anyone have any tips for this model - happen to have an electronic copy of the owner's manual?

We are getting an understanding of what runs off of the propane, what runs off the generator, etc but don't know exactly how things are with this model.

Thank you!

Welcome to The RV Forum, folks!

Basically anything that runs on 120v electric will run on the generator. In a self-contained RV, that means the wall outlets, the tv, the roof air conditioner, and the fridge and water heater if you elect not to use them on propane.

Water heater &  fridge will run on either propane or electric (shore power or generator), and the furnace is propane only.

Thank you!!  The clarifications really help.  This is probably too many basic questions but here goes:

1. Do most people drive with a certain level of fresh water available for using bathroom/sink?  (I've read that it's so heavy so driving empty is best for mileage)

2. Would TVs work while driving or for some reason do they only work by generator/shore power?

3. What are the basics about driving with propane on vs. off - basically, if you need heat, you have to have it on?  But you have to  stop and turn it off before going into a tunnel?

I think we're so used to heat, a/c, electrical running while driving from battery and alternator recharging and feeling muddled about what runs off battery and what (if anything) doesn't

4. RANDOM question -our first long leg of trip is to Bethesda, MD - only decent hookup I'm seeing nearby is really expensive - college park.  We're hoping not to have to use a campground/park but may have to for at least a couple nights (due to not feeling safe anywhere else) as we head up from Bethesda to the Philly area, where we're all set.

anyone happen to have tips for that area?

Thanks!  Thank you so much for helping really green folks - we know we made the right choice to rent RV, and we're going to have some time hopefully to test drive around town here before heading out - but we have two little little ones so my usual over-the-top extensive research ability is way hampered -

Andrea

aniagara said:
1. Do most people drive with a certain level of fresh water available for using bathroom/sink?  (I've read that it's so heavy so driving empty is best for mileage)

The amount of water you would carry won't affect your fuel mileage that much. We usually travel with about 1/3 to 1/2 tank, but if there is more when we are ready to hit the road, we don't sweat it.

2. Would TVs work while driving or for some reason do they only work by generator/shore power?

RVs are wired so any TVs that the driver can possibly see are disconnected while the engine is running. Most TVs in RVs today also are 110v so would need either the generator or shore power.

3. What are the basics about driving with propane on vs. off - basically, if you need heat, you have to have it on?  But you have to  stop and turn it off before going into a tunnel?

The only time you have to turn off the propane (at the tank) is when going thru a tunnel posted for that. Going down the road with an occasional tunnel usually doesn't require any action on your part. A lot of us drive with the propane on since the refrigerator requires it when you aren't on 110v electric.

4. RANDOM question -our first long leg of trip is to Bethesda, MD - only decent hookup I'm seeing nearby is really expensive - college park.  We're hoping not to have to use a campground/park but may have to for at least a couple nights (due to not feeling safe anywhere else) as we head up from Bethesda to the Philly area, where we're all set.
anyone happen to have tips for that area?

Every time we've been in the Bethesda area, we've stayed at the Cherry Hill RV Resort. Unfortunately, it is expensive but it well located, has superb facilities and easy access. Don't know of any others in the area.

Have a great trip and enjoy yourself. Don't get too hung up on the nigglies, they add to the experience :)

THANK YOU all!!!  Yes, it was Cherry Hill we saw and it was pricey - do you know if the baltimore harbor tunnels (on way up to deleware) require the propane tanks to be off?

thank you thank you thank you!

Don't want to obsess - but also want as few "should have known better" distractions as possible so I can keep my focus on the kids and their needs/helping them adjust (and keeping my cool - little one can barely do 20 minutes in the car and she's whining/crying)  :)

Thanks again.

OK another dumb question-

When winterized, basically anything related to water doesn't work, right?

So we could still "dry camp" by turning on the furnace and just not have any water.

Our first stop will be near Syracuse and it will be a good, safe place to try out sleeping in the RV overnight - with a house right there for bathroom facilities.  Do people ever find that the RV doesn't stay warm enough?  We have a ceramic heater we could bring to supplement.

And - how do I get over my fear that we are going to blow up?

:)  Thank you, again!

I'm new too, but I can tell you that you need to know where the circuit breakers are and to have extra fuses with you.

Hi!  Just wanted to update - it was a GREAT experience!

The only messup was that the back battery seemed to die - we ended up parking the RV because it got too cold and we stayed an extra week with family.  The orientation to DH was to just keep the fridge on because it uses so little propane that it wouldn't be a problem.  We thought the RV rental place realized we were parking the RV and not using it when we called about renting for an extra week but I guess it got lost in communication (their English is good but not great).

So we had a fun time figuring that out and finally learned how to turn everything off, etc.  I had an inkling that I had read something about the fridge and the small amount of electric it draws for a fan or something but DH was insistent!

Anyway, overall it was a fantastic experience and not too hard to figure out all the systems.  I really wanted and would have preferred a comprehensive owner's manual to be in the vehicle but oh well.  Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom