Help with Toilet flange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

FrankNSharon

I am replacing the toilet in our coach and have run into a slight (hopefully) problem. The new toilet needs to have holes in the flange at 45 degrees from where the old one mounted so the new one faces the right direction. Thetford said this is a direct upgrade from the one we had (we have a Thetford Starlite and are replacing it with a Thedford Aqua Magic Style 2). The instructions show a difference flange to mount the toilet to, the flange in the instructions has holes at various locations around the edge, The one in my coach does not. (See photo below).

So, my question is do I have to replace the flange? It won't turn (easily) and so I assume it is screwed or glued into the black holding tank. I could use some good advice on how to proceed here before I force something and do more damage than good.

TIA,

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 83
When I replaced the original toilet with a Style Plus in our Coachmen, I was able to turn the flange by tapping on the edge slots with a wooden dowel and a hammer. It didn't turn easily, but it didn't take any real hard whacks either.

How would I tell if the flange is glued in or screwed in? I would hate to try and unscrew it and break something - :(

Mine in an '02 brave was really hard to get it to turn but once I broke it loose, then it turned freely, was not glued but was really tight.

It's a toss up if the flange is glued or not.  From your pic it looks like the words "ring must be fastened to floor" are stamped on the surface. However, I don't see any screws holding it down.  That is generally what those other four holes are for in the ring. And I don't see any evidence of screws ever being in the holes, unless you took them out already.  If it was screwed down, there would be no need for glue.

If you get a strong flashlight you can look into the pipe. If it is glued you may see drips of dried glue on the inside of the pipe. Most likely it is just pressed onto the pipe. ABS fits pretty tightly.  Get a sturdy scraper and gently pry up on the edges of the flange all the way around.  Note I said "GENTLY". If it starts to lift you will be able to rotate it to where you need it. 

Gary,  That's an idea, I could drill two a large and a small so they would work like the slot.

Sarge, I should have mentioned that I had taken out the screws.

Thanks,

Frank

Well, I got a wood dowel and hammer and smacked the crap out of it, and it slowly turned around to where I needed it. Thanks to everyone. Now to see if I have created a leak - lol

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom