City water fill fitting replacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoundrel

All my questions will begin to taper off now that most of the larger projects are done. However,

I have a small question. My city water fitting is corroded from exposure (was Chrome) I started to remove it by removing the screws that hold it in place and lightly pulled. It came out about 1" and then stopped. I have just enough room to see that there is a pipe fitting attached to the water fitting and looks like some Teflon tape on the threads. My problem is if I turn the fitting and it detaches from the hose the hose will fall back into thew coach and I'm afraid I will not be able to access it again. Is there a way to get to the hose? or maybe a better method of removing the fitting that what I doing?   

Hi---
Only thing I can recommend is take some measurements related to something (window, etc) that you can transfer to inside so you know where to start. Betchya you'll end up under the sink. The woodwork/shelving should be removable and reveal the hose and fitting. Mine came loose on a Winnie, remounted it using "T-nuts" and suitable screws instead of the wood screws originally used.
Regards from Memphis

Hi Don,

As you have found out companies don't like to use more hose than necessary. As mentioned before, check inside to see if you can access the fitting from there. I've gone through it several times on different rigs and it's always the same problem. Just take your time so you don't lose the hose in an unrecoverable place! You might also try to gently pull it out a little further. Probably won't work but sometimes the clamp catches on the inside.

Another thought .. while you have it pulled out, get one of those screw type hose clamps at an auto part store like is used on radiator hoses. Unscrew the clamp so you can put it around the hose, put it back together and tighten it around the hose. The part band that sticks out beyond the screw should be enough to catch on the side of the hole and prevent the hose from going back in. Replace the water connector, take the hose clamp off, and you should be back in business.

Larry

Hey Tweedy .. what part of Memphis? I'm in Frasier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom