Question about Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XJXtian

Hi! My husband and I are here. We're purchasing a Cedar Creek 36RD5S and traveling around the country on my job (OR travel nurse). We have 2 medium/large dogs (one's 60lbs and the other, about 70) and we're going back and forth on whether to try bringing them or not. It's heartbreaking to think of leaving them, but I also don't want to see them in such small quarters (not that the CC is that small, but they will cease to have a yard and a 3 bedroom house).

Has anyone here brought with them dogs this size and had it work just fine? I have researched RV parks in most of the areas we want to visit and dogs do not seem to be a problem (restrictions on certain breeds here and there). I worry about the change being bad for them. We adopted them a little over a year ago from the shelter when they were 8 and 10 years old.

Any advice would be great.
Thank you and God bless! :)

We have trailered with dogs for some 15 years. 

Dogs are pack animals, they regard  "home" as where their pack is.  You folks constitute part of their pack and, moreover, the leaders of the pack.  The RV becomes the pack's den, full of familiar smells and associations.  Our critters moved between trailer and house seamlessly.    The close association of the RV and the required walks first thing in the AM, last thing in the PM and at odd times between are almost a joy to them -- new smells, new trees, rocks, and bushes to take a whiz on, and the Boss to accompany them the whole time.

What is not for a dog to like?  ;D

Definately take them!

They will adapt and be fine.  At their age, they probably don't need a lot of exercise so a couple of walks a day and some quality couch time might be all the activity they require.

Make sure to read the rules as they apply to pets and follow them.  You will no doubt need a supply of bags for clean up.  ;)

I absolutely agree with Carl & Karen. We are just getting back into Rv'ing and we have had two rescues for app 2 yrs now. One is a 78lb Lab and the other is a 6lb Yorkie. The lab has issues with noise so she is nervous when we are driving but eventually settles down. She has only had about 4 trips so far and gets better every time. This was the same with driving in a car and now she is fine with that.
Once we arrive they both love it and I actually think they get more "close" time in the MH than at home. We started with them by just spending a couple nights here and there with the MH parked in the driveway. After they eat and sleep in it a couple times they are fine. Have fun!

;D ;D ;D

Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOO much! It really helped ease the nuttiness I am feeling right now. I read your responses though tears. These guys are troupers and I know they'll be fine. I just worry. Another PLUS, is that my husband will be 'home' with them @ the RV/park while I'm @ work at my various assignments. I told him he wasn't going to get away with being a 41 year old "retiree" just quite yet, so we're hoping he'll be able to do some volunteer work some of the time. But for the most part, he'll be around for them. And yes, they're pretty laid back...sleeping, walking, eating, sleeping.

I also hope that in close proximity to other RVs, they don't end up with the habit of barking at noises. They do not bark now unless someone comes to the door and as soon as I open the door, they're quiet again. They never bark at outside noises now....so I pray it stays that way. I guess worst case scenario, we try it and they hate it.

It's all a bit nerve-racking, but I'm so excited to be doing this. Thank you for your help!!! I'm sure I'll be using your search/library for other questions answered. This is our first fifth-wheel and first time ever doing more than a camping trip. From having a full house to full-timing....it's been an adventure already...and we haven't even started yet!!!

Welcome to the forum!  All of the advice so far is spot on.  Unitl two weeks ago, we had spent the last 2 years full time with 3 dogs.  None of them weighs over 25lbs so they're much smaller but it doesn't matter.  We met a fellow in Texas traveling in his Prevost with an 11 year old St Bernard!!!  Anyone who knows giant breeds knows that's incredible on many levels.

Our dogs have loved the travel and the description of pack behavior above is on the money.  They don't care where they are so long as they are with you.  We usually try to walk the dogs around any new CG we pull in to so they get a sense of their surroundings.  Do take the time to MAKE SURE that you know how they behave when you're gone.  You don't want bad habits (barking) to develop so nip it in the bud if you have an issue there.  Our biggest concern with the dogs has been the fear of power going out during the summer while we're away and the coach over heating.  There are auto start devices for your generator which will fire up if the power fails so the AC continues to run and addind one is on my list.

Have fun traveling with your big guys.

Rick

I agree with everything said. We travel with a Scotty that just loves to travel and ride in our truck. I really believe she thinks the truck is hers. We go to the same place in Fla. each winter. When we arrived this year before we even got parked I thought she'd wag her tail off she got so excited.

BTW my son is a vet with a couple Labs. They are very loyal & friendly dogs. One got to barking when it got excited so he got a bark collar. I didn't like the idea at first, but they learn fast and he became a very good citizen.

As per my signature we travel with 2 large dogs.  Jackson is close to 90 pounds and Maggie is around 65 or 70.  Like AMX, we wouldn't leave home without them...

Wow. I am so happy I asked. I feel silly for having doubted it would be okay....but I guess I panicked.

We have a cat too, and he's an indoor cat and we are afraid he'd get out of the RV and get hurt. But we can't think of him going anywhere BUT with us.

RuthandKen, how do you transport your cat with the 2 big dogs? We'll be towing with a Ford F350 SuperDuty Dually Diesel with a crew cab. The dogs will be in the back seats. I'm worried about where to put the cat. It's illegal for any living thing to be in the RV while in tow, correct?? So it's not like we could put his cage in the RV. Don't know about putting it at my feet. He loves the dog while roaming free, but I am not positive about while he's confined...if he'd be a little upset about being in the back with the dogs.

Also, someone @ work mentioned "doggie valium" for traveling. I don't know about giving them drugs...but I have never been in the car with them longer than a half hour drive. They're a bit nutty for that short of a time, wanting to come up front with us. I'm sure they would tire eventually and just lay down. Any advice?

Thanks again for your help!! ;)

Most dogs of that age only require a walk every day to keep them happy. It's more important to keep the pack together for them to be comfy.

I'd take them along, but I'm a dog person and we don't go anywhere without ours.

Attachments

• O and M Reduced.JPG
    O and M Reduced.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 29
I don't disagree with any of the things said by others thus far but I do have a caution. I have been motor homing since 1972 and much of that time traveling mainly with two Old English Sheepdog rescues (OES) who usually average 70 +lbs {we are part of an OES rescue group that places 80-100 OES dogs per year and we adopt the harder to place dogs because of age, medical (deaf, etc), behavior and occasionally some other breed added in i.e. three dogs total. My greatest concern over the years was/is the potential for loss of AC power to Air Conditioners in hot weather due to CG and/or breaker overload. I solved that problem in recent years by using a house temperature control start system on the gen-set.  This system is not to be confused with many gen-set starter systems which measure only battery temperature and not house temperature.  Still can fail but I feel better.

Also, it appears to me that more cities are passing laws to prevent leaving pets alone in vehicles. Here in Hilton Head, SC they strongly enforce the restriction at the main mall and across town. In fact, someone reported to the police a dog in a car in our community parking lot and my wife's golf cart was next to it. She was inside a nearby building. Someone grabbed her putter and broke out car window and bent the putter badly and shoved it back into her bag and did not leave a message. She came out ,drove to golf course and when she pulled out her putter and saw the bend assumed I had somehow driven over it and called me at work to give me H which I denied vehemently. I couldn't figure out what really happened until next day when the story was printed in local newsletter and breaking window with golf club was described. 

Dick

That picture made me think of Mut & Jeff for some reason. What a pair!!!! ;D

Attachments

• 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 34
blueblood: I have heard others mention if the AC goes out, it'd get hot inside the RV. Ours is a 39.6 foot fifth-wheel...and for the most part, my husband will be home with them during the day while I'm at work. (I will be doing 13 week assignments in different areas) We won't be leaving them alone in the tow-rig...even while on the road. We plan to park and eat together, etc.  How did you do the house temperature control start system on the gen-set??? We're having a generator installed.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone!!! I now can feel confident that I am not short-sticking my "fur kids" by moving them around like this.

I loved the picture of Ollie and Emma!!! They're so cute!!! I'd love to see more pics of all your pets if you want to post them!!!

Here's a few pictures of our brood. (I haven't yet mentioned my 15 year old chihuahua because I never worried about him traveling...he's lived all over with me, back when I was single!)

Chris and I are blessed to have 4 furry creatures.

First picture should be Gunther and Roxy.
Second one, is my husband and Paco, my chihuahua
Third, my angel kitty, Jeeper. He's the best cat!

Attachments

• PICT0016-3.jpg
    PICT0016-3.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 37
  • b376d323.jpg
    b376d323.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_1573.jpg
    100_1573.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27
We have a Class A so it's easier to transport the 'kids'.  We put Arthur in a cat carrier and he seems to be more comfortable in there.  He kind of panics with the bumps etc. of the rig while driving down the road.  If he crys to get out, then I let him out and he usually finds a quiet spot somewhere in the rig.  He's good buddies with the dogs so they don't bother him at all.  I don't know about your truck though, where you could put the cat.  Don't suppose there is room in the backseat for 2 dogs AND a cat carrier.  Maybe one of those soft sided cat carriers they take up less space.

Awwwww, rbell!!! What a cute Scottie! I hadn't noticed the picture before! What a doll!!!

Thanks RuthandKen...We'll have to 'trial' a few things. I'm just happy I get to keep my family together!

XJXtian said:
How did you do the house temperature control start system on the gen-set??? We're having a generator installed.

Assuming that you are having the Onan genset installed and it doesn't already have this feature?;
http://www.cumminsonan.com/autostart/

Last random price we received from Onan at a rally was $500 installed so you may be able to find a better deal? Nice looking brood you have there by the way!

Take Care, Dar

We've got two 80 plus pound labs that go EVERYWHERE with us and they love it.  Like what was said above, they'll be happy just being with you.

Hi ... we took our 2 large dogs with us over our Christmas holiday, 2+ weeks, 3 campgrounds.  Although I love my dogs and would in theory love traveling with them, honestly I would not have taken them on this trip had I been able (practically) to avoid it.  My DH is not a fan (of our dogs, or traveling with dogs), it was our longest trip to date, we were visiting not-dog-friendly family part of the time (not staying at their place but in a nearby campground, but of course visiting their home), and we also had our preschooler in our group.  On a positive note, we didn't (because of the season) need to worry about the a/c failing  :) .

You know what?  It was fine.  Parts were great.  I'm not aware of any laws prohibiting putting dogs in a TT (I also have a horse ... he didn't come with us this trip  ??? ... whom I routinely throw in a horse trailer, after all), and that's where ours did the ~5 hour drive to our first campground.  They weren't happy (new setting, confusing, mobile), but they coped (more on this idea below).  After that, we kept them in the back of the truck (with a camper cover of course), but we have a TT not a 5er, so that wouldn't work for you.  My DH doesn't allow the dogs in the TT (claims allergies  :eek:), but honestly even if he did, it wouldn't be tremendously practical (28 ft. rig, no slides, 2 adults, energetic preschooler, you do the math!).  Our dogs are very shaggy so I wasn't the least worried about the chill.  We either tied them out or kept them in the back of the pickup (with regular walks, obviously). 

I used cheap fabric dog "crates" for the dogs on the first part of the trip but those (literally) didn't contain them.  Oh well.  If I had it to do over again, though, and wanted the dogs to travel in the TT, I'd probably use the sturdy plastic crates, secure those in the TT, and put the dogs inside.  I'd assume you could do the same for your cat, with an appropriate sized crate and presumably other stuff (blankets, etc.) that the cat would find familiar and "safe."  And we didn't use the plastic crates at all this time (I only brought the shoddy fabric ones), but past summer when we took one dog with us, I crated him some outside the TT in the shade and did fine with that. 

Honestly, our dogs adapted very well to the trip and got better, not worse, about stuff like people walking by with other dogs as the trip went along (basically, beginning to learn this was normal).  I will say the one noticeable problem we had was 2/3 of the campgrounds we stayed in (all state parks in SC) had large feral cat populations, and my dogs are not at all cat friendly.  Of course a healthy adult cat is at no risk from the average dog and certainly not mine, but seeing the cats produced much excitement for my dogs.  It sounds like yours are probably better socialized than are mine in this regard, though, so not so much a problem.

Happy travels!

Hi XJXtian,

We have two kitties who will be traveling in our Class A with us.  Our vet recommended "Feliway", which is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone.  It comes in a diffuser that you could plug in or in a spray form.  It is a natural way to help keep them calm.  I found a website http://www.dogappeasingpheromone.com/ which seems to offer the canine version of Feliway.  The first page of the website will explain what it is much better than I can.  We haven't tried it yet, but plan to on our next car trip.  "Valium" was the last thing she offered, although she did say that we could give them Benadryl....a specific amount based on their weight, not a whole pill.

We absolutely love and trust our vet.  She helped us so much last year when we were treating our previous cat for feline cancer.  I would definitely recommend talking to your vet as he/she will probably have some natural remedies to recommend.

Good luck...I hope you bring them all!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom