Question about Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
XJX, if you are worried about stressing the pets during the drive use a pheromone collar. They are good for like 30 days but we only use it when needed then put it back in the box. It's all natural and costs around $10 (google for options). Works real well with our Lab.
I would purchase a small wire carrier for the cat as they are cool in summer and using a blanket, warm in winter. We put the Yorkie into one every night and she loves it, feels safe but can still see everything. Got it at Petco for app. $40. Might fit real well on front seat between you and hubby when traveling, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to let her sleep in it in the trailer?
If they start barking because of noises (other than someone at your door) use a radio when you leave just loud enough to be a distraction to them. I got ours used to knowing when I turn on the radio on the counter they know we are leaving and it drowns out outside noises.
One other note, the dogs will not of course be familiar with their surroundings so easily lost. If something does happen and they end up outside you will want to make sure they are well tagged with your cell # and/or microchipped. Take care.

Bogart~ Thanks for your story! I can learn from ALL advice. Also, I never thought of the horse in a trailer thing. I just was under the impression (or someone had mentioned it in passing) that you couldn't have your animals in the 5th while in motion. But I can see where being in crates and secured, they'd be okay. How awesome for your toddler to be able to go all over! Some kids don't ever see much more than their city parks.

Irlndrover~ I am sorry you had to go through the cancer and loss of your cat. I grew up with cats my whole life (my brother was afraid of dogs, and every time we tried to get one, there were issues) and love them dearly. It's amazing the different personalities. My first cat, Flake, my parents adopted when I was a year old. He lived until the summer of my 23rd birthday. Healthy, except for being diabetic the last 6 years of his life. Thanks for the information. I think Jeeper will be alright. He's like a 4th dog!

Mavarick~ I can't believe I had forgotten the radio thing!!! THANK YOU! I used to do it for one of my past dogs (he was an "only child") while I was at work. Heck, I even used to run a continuous CD of birdsongs for my parakeets when I was gone too. I'll have to remember the music, the dogs will do fine, especially with that. Also, they are microchipped...the Humane Society did it before they released them to us.

Thank you all for your time and stories/opinions, etc. I'm sitting here taking a much needed mental break from the sorting out of our house and what stays with us and goes in the 5th, what goes to family for storage and what goes to our yard sale. It's very strange to try to pack 40 years of life down into a couple bins that you can bring with you on the road. I have cried more than a few times. I have laughed maniacally even more. But most of all, when all is said and done...we have reduced our 'mess', we will be together roaming the great USofA, doing what we should do now because we're able and having a BLAST!!!

OH!!! I forgot, and I know there's a thread about this somewhere here (the last post in it being in 2007) BUT>>>>>
I hear (although I wouldn't ever personally do it) that there are people who stay in their TT or 5th while in tow. I actually found HERE: http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=2377513 that in most states, it's legal! But who would do it?!?!?! I've worn my seatbelt (even before it was a law) ever since I bubbled a windshield out with my head during an accident when I was 19. I could not imagine wandering around unrestrained in my 5th ESPECIALLY while my husband sat alone in the cab of the truck. This entire change of life thing is SO we'll be together!

How many people here do it? Against it?

XJXtian said:
OH!!! I forgot, and I know there's a thread about this somewhere here (the last post in it being in 2007) BUT>>>>>I hear (although I wouldn't ever personally do it) that there are people who stay in their TT or 5th while in tow. I actually found HERE: http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=2377513 that in most states, it's legal! But who would do it?!?!?! I've worn my seatbelt (even before it was a law) ever since I bubbled a windshield out with my head during an accident when I was 19. I could not imagine wandering around unrestrained in my 5th ESPECIALLY while my husband sat alone in the cab of the truck. This entire change of life thing is SO we'll be together!

For the most part, seatbelts can be installed in a TT or 5ver and RV's are a bit less likely to be involved in an accident simply because the driver is usually more alert.  However, I still would not recommend moving around in a trailer while rolling.  You are nearly totally blind of the upcoming road conditions and can easily be surprised by a sudden movement.  To make things worse, if one is tossed around and injured, who would know until the next stop - which could be hours away.

As many have said, we found that our dogs love the RV.  As pack animals they love to be with you so much  They will be with you many more hours per day when compared to  regular house with both people working and being gone for 10-12 hours per day.

One other thing to consider:  Get "mats" to cover the metal steps going into the camper.  Many of these steps have small holes that can catch and rip off a dogs'  toenail.  Don't ask me how I know.

Molaker~ Good point on the "not knowing for a long time" if someone's hurt. I can't imagine WANTING to be back there. I do wonder if with the dogs in secured crates would be okay. We're considering maybe doing that...but I'm worried they may freak out. We also thought if we do that, it'd be good to have a baby monitor in case one of them gets a little crazy. Plenty of blankets inside the crate for cusion, etc.

Dog Folks~ OMG! I just went and read some of your blog (will be back for more later). My husband and I had decided to start one once we got rolling. I'm intrigued by the stories of "full-time" people, as that's what we'll be doing. We had seen those stair covers at the RV show last weekend and decided they were a MUST! There's also this small (but very awesome) little ramp that helps when one of the trailer tires goes flat. Seemed like it'd work great. Hope to have it and never find out! hahaha

A baby monitor is a good idea - if it transmits well enough.  Some of those cheaper ones are, well... pretty cheap.  Another thing you might consider is a wireless backup camera system.  I haven't investigated myself, but there may be some available with more than one channel so you could have a camera in the trailer and another outside at the rear of the trailer.  The only problem with that is no audio so you couldn't hear the dogs barking.

Riding in the trailer for some short distances with the dogs in their cages could help acclimate the dogs to the trailer.  It might be scary for them at first and your presence could offset that.  But, as already discussed, not something you would want to do much.

Great idea with the cameras. The Ford has one...but I never thought about one at the back of the 5th. Hmmmm, gonna look into that.

Absolutely and 110% against it!

A passenger in a trailer can be sent flying by even a normal fast stop.  They have no way to anticipate the deceleration and the trailer interior is full of hard, angular surfaces to be thrown against.  The practice is patently hazardous.

If you must carry critters in a trailer, confine them to air transport approved carriers, and brace the carriers against forward motion.

Our two dogs go with us.  They are not as big but are still our kids.  Our favorite campground, Daddy Joe's in Tabor City NC, has a large pen set up with obstacles for the dogs to play in.  We take ours a couple times a day so they can release some energy.

Carl L said:
Absolutely and 110% against it!

A passenger in a trailer can be sent flying by even a normal fast stop.  They have no way to anticipate the deceleration and the trailer interior is full of hard, angular surfaces to be thrown against.  The practice is patently hazardous.

If you must carry critters in a trailer, confine them to air transport approved carriers, and brace the carriers against forward motion.

Carl~ YES! It seems wicked dangerous! I just cannot believe how many states let it be legal. As for the dog carriers, thank you for that advice....I'll remember that if we decide to go that way.

Boatbuilder~ Thanks for the tip! It'd be fun to find places like that and NC is on our list. Our dogs are great with other dogs and that'd be a fun thing for them to do....like a doggie amusement park!

Sorry for going off topic but since we have a lot of dog lovers on this thread I wanted to share a special destination for dog lovers if you ever find yourself wanting to spend a little time in the quiet hills of North Carolina.  We spent the month of May last year at Four Paws Kingdom http://www.google.com/search?q=four+paws+kingdom&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADRA_en and loved it.  It's Disneyland for the pooches and kids under 16 aren't allowed!

Rick

I don't know which part is most exciting....amusement for my pups or that there's no kids under 16!!! hahahaaaa!!!

Have to check it out! Thank yoU!

We take our two dogs and cat with us when we go.  The dogs love to go and get excited when they know we are packing the 5th wheel. 

Be sure to keep their vaccinations current and copies of the documents handy in the RV just in case, you may go to some places that require you to prove vaccinations.  Also, (if you haven't already) I'd suggest microchips for the animals and a dog tag with you cell phone number on it.  Both would be helpful to get them back to you if you got separated somehow.

;)

My Cat (Amber) was amply amused today by my Cat TV (or as I call it "The Feline entainerment System" or FES)

I hang a bird feeder on the driver's rear view mirror.. the main slide has a window (end of couch) which looks directly on that mirror and thus the bird feeder.. Amber lies on top of the couch and .. Watches the birdies as they stuff themselves with my seeds.

Current block is Cardnal food, since we have a bunch of 'em here

We adopted Gordon 3 and a half years ago. He's spent 2 and a half years in the motorhome. He thinks the house is the strange place. When we adopted him, the Humane Society questioned our spending most of our time in an RV and worried that he wouldn't have a yard to play in. We convinced them that he has the whole big outdoors to play in, he goes for more walks than most dogs who live in a stick house, and he has smelled more wonderful smells than most other dogs. I can't imagine leaving him behind when we get in the RV. Come to think of it, he seems to feel the same way because as soon as we start loading up, he's out there on the dashboard, ready to travel to new and exciting places.

Wendy
Yuma, Gypsy Journal Rally

Honest John~ You better be telling the truth!  ;D

John from Detroit~ nice idea! We'll be parked for 13 weeks at a time....and I love bird feeders/birds! I don't know if it'd be more for my entertainment or my cats!!!!

Wendy~ Love love love your description of a dog's life on the road!!! Sights, smells, more walks than most dogs. It's all true and makes me so happy that we'll have our pups with us!!!

XJXtian if/when you get to NC, drop me a note.  We live more or less in the middle of the state.  Happy travels!

we have 2 labs,90# and 84#.they are great rvers! Would NEVER board them.have had them 11 years.tthey have swam in rivers in Colorado,Ark.,Okla> and everywhere in between,plus every lake we can get to. They are a joy and even though very large,they are very comfy on their memory foam dog beds in backseat...we have never been apart more than a few hours and could not imagine going without them,especitly since they are getting old and slower..this will be their last summer rving and I want to make it special so we are going to Colorado again.thats were they said they wanted to go ,soooooo,thats where we are taking them.... ;D    Take your babes with you!

Back
Top Bottom