Question about Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
codgerbill said:
...when he drinks he puts his whole face in the dish and then comes out dripping water all over :eek: 

That's a Lab for you. Our chocolate was also a bottom-drinker. And all of our labs liked to turn their heads while drinking to maximize water spread. We put the water bowl in a dish pan which helps some.

Wendy

Hey....prissy standard poodles do the same thing as those wonderful labs.  Charlie has water dripping everywhere around his water dish and on down the hall for several feet after he's had a good refreshing drink.  ;D

I fostered a Border Collie (for a few weeks) for the NC-BC Rescue a few years ago, that was like that.  He would actually lay down in front of the water dish, or food dish, with his chin inside the bowl to prevent Reddog from getting his share.  There was always water and food scattered about.

Here are a couple of pics on our Pet 'Bed' in our F350.  It sits on the rear seats after folding down the seat backs, then is supported by 3x 2x4 legs along the front, right behind the front seats.  Make sure you locate your front seats before measuring for the deck board.

In the 4th pic, it shows a hinged addition (cover removed) that folds down on the center console at the height of the bed.  It's there to fill in the gap between the console and the bed (since it sits about 4" higher) to make sure they don't step in the hole when entering or exiting, and serves as a nice perch for the one laying down the center.  Our Chow/Sharpei/Rottweiler is the best rider (as long as she can navigate, you can drive), and lays right up the center onto this console.  The others lay on either side and look out the rear or side windows.

You can tether shoulder harnesses to the rear wall on the 'child seat hooks' that you can see on the back wall.

The side view picture shows the 2" foam mat and the washable blanket we use to cover it all.

The longest trip we made was about 4 years ago, when we made a 4 day round trip from Illinois to the LA area (~1000 mi/day with 2 drivers), and back with our flatbed, to pick up an antique truck.  Two dogs (at that time) made the trip with us using this bed, and loved every bit of it. Had to say in hotels on that trip though.

And don't forget to take your dogs' records with you.

4 R PETS !

Attachments

• F350 Dog Bed 002 (Small).jpg
    F350 Dog Bed 002 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 46
  • F350 Dog Bed 015 (Small).jpg
    F350 Dog Bed 015 (Small).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 38
  • F350 Dog Bed 001 (Small).jpg
    F350 Dog Bed 001 (Small).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 37
  • F350 Dog Bed 004 (Small).jpg
    F350 Dog Bed 004 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 38
  • F350 Dog Bed 008 (Small).jpg
    F350 Dog Bed 008 (Small).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 45
As my signature suggest Duncan spends the entiredriving portion of the trip (when not sleeping or laying next to my wife) looking for the window with the best view.  While he is a pretty good dog, we don't trust him in the rig by himself.  He is crated if for some reason he doesn't get to go along that day!  The nice thing about the RV is we can set the climate control so that he is comfortable no matter what!

Our trip to the Grand Canyon next month (like the one last year) Duncan will go with us on all but one day.  That day we will ride the buses, but the rest of the time we will walk!

Jeff

Jeff~ Have fun at the Grand Canyon!!!!

PDGX~ Thank you SO MUCH fore the pictures!!! That's a lot like what we were thinking, but didn't know how to go about it!!! You're a wonderful help!!!  ;)

You said in your post OR travel nurse.  Of course take your dogs.  Our dog now has all kinds of smells at every rest area.  By the way it takes 8 hours from Seattle to Central Point OR.  But our dogs truly enjoy every stop. 
If you go south check with your vet about heart worms treatment.  We are sort of lucky not to have them here in our wet climate.

Path~ Where are you located? We're in MD right now...and pretty much don't want to see winter again for a good long time! Are you an OR nurse? I'm actually a surgical assistant, but it's easier to just say travel nurse, as sometimes people don't understand "scrub tech". hahhahahaaa I had traveled before....when I moved back to the east coast after living in Alaska. Then I married my husband and got a permanent job. Now, we're hitting the road again....and I know it'll be even BETTER with him along for the ride! Not to mention the pups! After everyone's responses in here, I am definitely convinced that we aren't hurting them by bringing them on the road!!!

path said:
If you go south check with your vet about heart worms treatment.  We are sort of lucky not to have them here in our wet climate.

Our Gordon gets heartworm treatment all-year, 12/12. It's easy and you never know where you might end up that has a heartworm problem that you didn't know about.

Wendy

path said:

I'm a bit confused why you think you don't have a heart worm danger just because you live in a wet climate.  Heart worm, in dogs, is caused by a mosquito byte and can occur any where in the world.

Like Wendy said, my dog(s) are protected year around.  The prevention is much less expensive than the cure, and much more pleasant and safe for the dog.

We treat Brandy all year long also. My son is a vet and before we get ready to go to Fla. in the fall he stocks us up on everything and gets her papers in order just in case we need them. They are worse in warm wet areas. We make a trip to Disney each year and leave her in the kennel at Fort Wildnerness and they insist on everything being up to date. It's a very clean place with facilities to give them a bath if you want. Last year the 2 girls working there were playing with her when we got back. They even provided a report card on how she got along that day.

BTW We leave our car parked there and take the bus to wherever we are going then we don't have to drive in that traffic.

Back
Top Bottom