Eye Doctor Recommendation in Algodonnes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IIRC I went to Algadones Optical; They're half way along the second block on the left after your cross the border, in a small shopping arcade. Not as comprehensive an eye test as you get here in the US, but the price is right. The purple pharmacy we use is the last building in the first block on the left.

We have had decent glasses from Best Optical.  They're on the SE corner of B street and the main N/S street.  The eye test is sufficient for the lens prescription, but the glaucoma test can be skipped, it's next to useless.

I believe all the lenses are made at the same lab, regardless of where you order them.

If you're looking for an ophthalmologist, I have no recommendations.  We've only seen opticians.

Ned's right about the single lab. However, if you need polycarbonate lenses, they send them to a lab in San Diego. It takes 10 days (instead of an hour for simple plastic lenses), but they will mail them to you.

Jolene got poly c lens when we were in Los Algodonnes.  Took a little longer, but still same day.  They did a real nice job.  No line bifocals, nice frames.  With exam just over $200. 

She went to Algodonnes Optical.

Thanks Bill. Maybe there was something different, or maybe something has changed (I'm hoping the latter). Algadones Optical sent my frames to San Diego and they arrived in the mail 10 days later. I went to 5 or 6 opticians in Algadones the same day, and they all said the same thing, i.e. that the local lab couldn't do polycarbonate, and it would take 1-2 weeks.

One data point - a couple of years ago I bought two pairs of glasses from Algadones Optical and specifically asked for polycarbonate. Picked them up 2 hours later. Next time in Algadones, I visited the same store and, when the optician looked at my glasses, he very clearly said "These are not polycarbonate; If you want polycarbonate for the replacement lenses, they have to be sent to San Diego". They turned up 10 days later.

I'm hoping something changed, and that the local lab can now do polycarbonate; I don't feel comfortable about not being able to check out the prescription before leaving the store.

Hmmm, if not polyC wonder what it was?  Next time at Sam's I'll have them check Jolenes lens to see if they are truly PC.

Bill,

I'd be interested to know the answer.

FWIW I'm holding two pairs of eyeglasses with identical frames purchased at the same time from AO. One of them has replacement poly carbonate lenses and the other has the original non-pc 'plastic' lenses. Both are no-line bifocals and photochromatic (aka photo brown/gray).

Prior to this discussion, I'd have said I can't easily tell the difference, except that I dropped the pc ones and chipped one of the lenses. However, if I look close, the pc lenses are slightly thicker, and here indoors away from windows they have a slight hint of a brown color, whereas the non-pc ones are "clear" (untinted) plastic.

Just walked outdoors with both pairs, and the pc ones go dark brown, while the other pair goes dark gray.

Algadones Optical sent my frames to San Diego and they arrived in the mail 10 days later.

I keep saying San Diego, but FWIW the return address on their priority mail box says "Algadones Optical, Yuma, AZ". It's possible I was confusing the optician with a dentist in Algadones that has a San Diego office  :-[  Either way, the polycarbonate lenses still took 10 days.

Meanwhile, I need to dig out the various prescriptions and bills to see what I ordered vs what I paid for.

Back
Top Bottom