Planning a trip to CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's also Malibu Creek State Park. No hookups but doesn't feel like it's in LA and is very quiet because it's up the canyon above Malibu. If you get the state disability card, it would be half price.

Wendy

Thanks for all the suggestions...made some reservations and applying for the California disability card-thx Wendy.
Some of you mentioned  more than likely there is no overnight camping on city streets in the Hollywood area, Santa Monica, etc....  A fellow RVer told my hubby that you could park the RV on the "coast" streets and pay $5.00 for over night camping.
Does anyone  know if this is true? 

He said he traveled up and down the coast this way and pulling his 5th wheel.

Wendy said:
There's also Malibu Creek State Park. No hookups but doesn't feel like it's in LA and is very quiet because it's up the canyon above Malibu. If you get the state disability card, it would be half price.

Wendy

I just figured out how to put  the "quote" in my reply.  This State park (and others) looks great but I'm running into maximum length problems.  My husband corrected me...we have a 36 1/2 foot motorhome. Thanks again for the state disability card info.
Terry

atinmo said:
Some of you mentioned  more than likely there is no overnight camping on city streets in the Hollywood area, Santa Monica, etc....  A fellow RVer told my hubby that you could park the RV on the "coast" streets and pay $5.00 for over night camping.
Does anyone  know if this is true? 

He said he traveled up and down the coast this way and pulling his 5th wheel.

Never heard of it.  Quite the contrary, a lot of California towns and cities prohibit over night camping on the streets.

Ask your friend exactly who he paid that money to.

atinmo said:
We would like to camp at Corps, Forestry and/or  Nat'l parks because we get discounts.
Thx  to everyone for all the info...

We live in No. California and have found that all the state parks we have stayed in within CA so far have honored the 1/2 off National "America the Beutiful" Senior Pass

Water Dog said:
We live in No. California and have found that all the state parks we have stayed in within CA so far have honored the 1/2 off National "America the Beutiful" Senior Pass

Please tell me which ones honored the Nationa Senior Pass. We've been from Silver Strand in San Diego up to several state parks in Santa Cruz and not a single one honored the America the Beautiful passes, neither the senior nor the access. Of course, northern California is a completely different creature from southern California :)

Wendy
Pueblo el Mirage, Phoenix AZ for 7 days unless the heat continues to climb  :eek:

atinmo said:
Thanks for all the suggestions...made some reservations and applying for the California disability card-thx Wendy.

If you have reservations with ReserveAmerica and you receive your disability card in time you can call and get the discount applied. 

Carl,

I'll split that $5 fee with you. We could make a bundle, but the punters would end up in a bunch of trouble  ;D

I can see it now.  Tom and Carl's Camping Permits.  Set up shop on the CA border.  I bet we could get $10 for Santa Monica and Hollywood. -- $15 for Beverly Hills even.  Won't work for Anaheim tho -- I understand Disney has sewn that one up.  8)

Wendy said:
Pueblo el Mirage, Phoenix AZ for 7 days unless the heat continues to climb  :eek:

Wendy

Today is supposed to be the hottest, slight cool down the rest of the week and 80? over the weekend. Give us a holler, the Reiters are in town also at Cotton Lane.

What time of year are you planning this trip? If it is in the summertime then the beach is your only real option. Southern California is a desert and it gets very hot there in the summertime if you go inland.

Carl L said:
Never heard of it.  Quite the contrary, a lot of California towns and cities prohibit over night camping on the streets.

Ask your friend exactly who he paid that money to.

Okay, I found out more info...He parked overnight  in the parking lots designated for those who go to the beach.

seilerbird said:
What time of year are you planning this trip? If it is in the summertime then the beach is your only real option. Southern California is a desert and it gets very hot there in the summertime if you go inland.

We are wintering in Dallas, TX and plan to be in CA for June.  I'm born and raised in Galveston and miss the beach...never been to a desert tho.

BOI, eh.

Well if you go to CA in an RV you will not miss the desert which will start at about the Pecos River in Texas and finally end at Banning Pass in CA.  It will be warm and more importantly, dry, utterly dry with humidities in the teens and twenties.  As long as you have lots of water and airconditioning handy it is ok.

Wendy said:
Please tell me which ones honored the Nationa Senior Pass. We've been from Silver Strand in San Diego up to several state parks in Santa Cruz and not a single one honored the America the Beautiful passes, neither the senior nor the access. Of course, northern California is a completely different creature from southern California :)
Wendy

Sorry for the mis-information Wendy, my DW informs me that I'm wrong in that the three I was thinking of were U.S. parks not state parks. Stampede Reservoir, Little Grass Vally Reservoir, and Ice House.

Water Dog said:
Sorry for the mis-information Wendy, my DW informs me that I'm wrong in that the three I was thinking of were U.S. parks not state parks. Stampede Reservoir, Little Grass Vally Reservoir, and Ice House.

Dang, I was hoping to find some state parks where I could use my Access card. Pooh.

Wendy

Terier said:
If you have reservations with ReserveAmerica and you receive your disability card in time you can call and get the discount applied.

I've applied.  Any idea how long it will take to get this state  card...weeks or months?

I also don't remember but think it was a couple of weeks. Of course, that was in the early 1980s when California was a bit more organized and had money :)

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom