Things to take along and not take along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we are so new to RVing, I have a question for you "seasoned" travelers.  What have you taken on a trip that you wished you hadn't (or really did not need) and what did you kick yourself for NOT taking?
Thanks so much for your words of wisdom!

Congratulations on the new rig Marilyn and welcome to The RV Forum.

You folks are in for a great time, but I think that you have already figured that out.  When you have questions for which the answers are not found in either our library or previous discussions just post here and we will get back to you.  We love to help other RVers.

Participation in our discussions will result in many new friendships, join in.

Leave the long dresses and high heals at home.  Bring comfortable clothing, a crock pot, tool box, an air card for internet access, a few games, reading material, flash light & batteries, camera, a smile and a laid back attitude.  RV roadside assistance such as Coach Net or Good Sam's is always a good idea too.  Microsoft Streets & Trips is a great tool for planning and a GPS is a great help too.  A stack of DVD movies can't hurt.

I'm sure others will chime in here too.

Welcome aboard. 

Bicycles, mosquito spray or wipes, matches or lighter, spare fuses & bulbs, broom and maybe small vacuum cleaner, outdoor carpet, portable grill, binoculars, sunscreen, paper shop towels or rags, hand cleaner, duck tape, zip ties, ext. cord, lawn chairs.  Oh heck!  Ran out of room. :)

If you don't use it at home, you probably won't use it in the RV.  That's what I learned this trip.  I brought a  crockpot.  I don't use a crockpot at home unless it's for a big pot of soup for a potluck gathering.  Don't know why I thought I needed it in the RV.  But that's just me.  Lots of people swear by a crockpot.  A friend of mine chuckled because I brought my ironing board and iron.  Again, I iron at home, and I'm glad I brought it.  lol

Have a great time.

Sheila

2 months in to a 4 month 'Meander' we shipped home 73# of 'What the &%$ were we thinking'.  Just stuff we got before we left because we thought it was 'Cool' for the MH.  Found we only need about 1/2 of clothes we took ~ if that. 

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun  ~~  Kate

I learned that I don't need to bring along as many groceries as I do.  There are markets most everywhere you go.  Do  stock up however on a favorite in case local market does not have the item and you won't accept a substitute.  I  bring lots of paper towels. Depends how long you will be gone.  One year we needed our last year's income tax  information while on road, didn't have it or the Turbo tax disc. Long drive to go get it.

Bring layers of clothing as days can be warm with cool evenings. 
Betty

don't forget to take extra meds just in case you don't get home when you planned... it's usually a large hassle to get a script filled in Alabama when your doctor lives in Oregon.

We did not need the following items that were originally on the coach:

HP Laserjet Printer
Paper shredder
14" pipe wrench
large suitcases
3 cans of windshield de-icer
Electrolux vacuum cleaner
extra dinner plates and glasses
six pairs of dress shoes

We did need:

the crockpot (we use it a lot)
light jackets (even though when we left it was 105 degrees)
winter clothes packed separately
good lawn chairs (2X)
a small ice chest (for road trips away from the coach)
our bikes
Croc's

Now, we were leaving to go full time, and not coming back, although we had never spent two nights in a motorhome.

We are currently 5000#'s under gross according to Florida DOT - and there's more to get jettisoned!!!

You will figure it out pretty quickly, believe me! We dumped 300# the first weekend after we left!

Have fun! It's not a job, it's an adventure!!

Kim

p.s. God bless Walmart....

Put in the MH what you think that you need and go to a Wally World and spend the night.  If you need anything then go in and get it.  When you get home take out everything that you didn't need.  A first Aid kit is mandatory, lawn chairs, small grill, a kindle e reader and beer.  Welcome to the community and many happy trips. 8)

Leave the long dresses and high heals at home.

Well, George, usually.  I carried dressy clothes on three or four different trips and laughed about carrying both camping clothes and cocktail dresses.  The exceptions are if you plan to take a cruise at some point in the RVing journey and want to have nice clothes for Captain's Night, if you'll be attending class reunions and will be attending cocktail parties, or if you'll be going to a wedding.  All require clothing that is better than what we normally wear.  Oh yes, when we had several aged family members in poor health, I also carried an appropriate black dress and shoes so I could get on an airplane at the nearest airport.  That paid off on one occasion.  It's not fun to contemplate such negative events, but better to be prepared if you know it's a possiblity.

We like the crock pot for driving days.  I put it on in the morning (fits in the sink for safety) and by the time we arrive at our evening stop we have a nice dinner.  And, boy, does the motorhome smell good!

What you take really depends a lot on the kind of RV you have, how big it is which dictates how much you can carry, and what you think you'll be doing along the way.  For example, we both always take our laptops.  On longer trips you need to be prepapred for a variety of weather.  If we leave in April we can encounter snow in the mountains and beautiful sunshine in other places.  Betty's advice to do layering is good.  We often start out wearing winter clothes and return in the heat of summer, so I always take more clothes than I need, much to Jerry's dismay!  I usually wear most things at least once, but sometimes plans change along the way and maybe the weather is quite different from what I expected so my clothing needs changed.

Tools, GPS, special foods, maps, special books for flower or bird identification, campground guides, FRS radios if you're with a group, binoculars, DVDs, umbrellas and rain jackets, maybe rain boots or something in case you get into mud, tools, tire pressure monitoring system if you have a toad, reading materials, laptop, small printer, scanner, camera, address book, stamps for postcards and mailing labels, special medical things like a heating pad or a blood pressure monitor, ad infinitum.  I have a list that takes two columns on one page.  I don't take everything on every trip, but my list reminds me to at least consider an item.  Hmmm, my list does not have cocktail dresses....  ;)

ArdraF

Oh my gosh!  You were all so helpful, thoughtful, wise and fun!  I am taking one dress for the Kentucky Derby, however.  :)  and lots of layers and probably more clothes than needed so will double check my needs.  We do leave in April so was pleased to read about the changing weather and possible snow.  What you do at home being a guide seemed to be great advice.  And yes, there is an option of sending things home - good to think about.  Thank you all so much for helping us out.  I do feel a great deal more prepared and secure.  Grabbing my rain boots as I type and out with the different colored cutsy sandals!  Thank you for all the good wishes also.

I took waaaay too many clothes on our 4-month trip last year....and too much of a variety in coloring....i.e., the three pink tops that only looked good with the navy shorts, the two green tops that only looked good with the tan shorts...well, you get the picture.  And of course, that involved not being able to throw the new pink top in with the light laundry load....or the dark load....or the towels...or the sheets.  When you check into a campground that has two washers and dryers for the whole place and you're fourth in line to use them, you want to make every load count.  This year, we're going out for six months and it's going to be nothing but jeans, khaki shorts, navy shorts, and white tops.  Everything will go with anything in the closet.  Also, the ironing board is staying home this time.  If I'm wrinkled, I'm wrinkled.  At least my clothes will match my face.  I don't even want to discuss how many pairs of shoes I took and how few I actually wore.  One dressy outfit will go (with several elderly close relatives, there may have to be a quick funeral trip somewhere or my invitation to Will and Kate's wedding might still come....lol)  I took too many pans and dishes, too.  This year, four place settings go (if we have company, we'll all eat off paper plates).  Similar reductions in baking pans and pots will occur.  I don't know why I took three serving bowls.....we ladle everything from the pot to the plate and who has extra room on their tiny table?  If I keep this up, I just might get it right in a few years...

Since I live in southern Ca I have to ask how does a can of windshield de-icer work?  Does it replace pouring water on the windshield to get the ice off?

What to bring?

Tools - I found I needed a set of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers.  I have already carried screwdrivers but I got tired of going to the storage bay when I needed one inside.  Seemed like everything I brought was attached to the box with tiny screws.  Also it was the little things I missed or needed like tweeters or nail clipper.

One thing I was glad I brought was some 7up in case I become ill which I needed and used on my second outing.  I keep a small notebook in the trailer and will write down what I need to restock or get for the next trip. 

Like someone else said I found I use less food than I bring along. 

What I didn't have but needed is a tool for cutting - brought those pliers I needed at Wal-Mart but couldn't get the package open at the campsite.  Thank goodness for nice neighbors.

I still believe  if you  take half the stuff and twice the cash, it all works out fine.  ;D

I live in mine fulltime, so I've got it all with me, but my "all"  isn't much.

Being that I love to cook from scratch, I find a great selection of herbs, spices and condiments  to be imperative.

You really don't need a ton of clothes, but the ability to do layering is nice.  Laundry facilities are in most all parks and campgrounds.

Even though I live in my motorhome fulltime, if I had to pack up ALL my winter and summer clothes, they would fit in a duffle bag, with room for the shoes too. 

Since I don't tow a car, and  I enjoy walking, I find a backpack comes in really handy.  Sometimes there's a store in walking distance, it can all fit in the backpack, or  the heavy items can go in the backpack so the arms only carry the lighter stuff.  If hiking in nature, the backpack carries the water bottle, camera, snack, keys, hand towel  and a water bowl for my canine buddy.  ;)

Great thread!  Hmmm, tools I have I don't need, tools I left I wish I had.  Pop rivet tool.  Cheap enough to replace, and once you use it you won't need it for another year.  Iron, leave home.  For us, extra winter clothing, but not for everyone.  Crock pot yes.  Cookbooks, not really needed, but scan and save favorite recipes.  AllRecipes.com and supplement any cookbook.  Special ingredients yes, stuff you don't normally find, or just use lots of. 

I carry 2 printers, yes.  One will handle 13x19" paper, and the other is an all in one.  Need both.  Well, probably not, but I want both.

Back to cooking.  Bread machine. 

jamarynn1 said:
  Also, the ironing board is staying home this time. 
Believe it or not, if you mist you clothes with warm water from a spray bottle at night you clothes will be fine in the a.m. There are even some products that you can buy that will knock out the wrinkles. I pass on them, water has been working fine for me since about '92.
J

34footer ~ Thanks ~ Will try the water trick ~ Have been using the 'WrinkleReleaser' ~BUT~ Cheaper is better.    K

One thing we would never be without when snowbirding in our MH:  an electric blanket or electric mattress pad.  Winter nights can get downright cold, even in warm climes, and nothing feels better than hopping in a warm bed when it gets a little chilly.  (Well, almost nothing. :p )  We shut the electric blanket off when we get to bed, and we have enough blankets on to keep us warm all night without using the furnace (usually).

We've found that we like an electric blanket better than an electric mattress pad, and we've tried both.  Not only does an electric blanket use less energy than an electric mattress pad, but we can't feel the wires while lying UNDER the electric blanket which we CAN feel when lying ON the electric mattress pad.  It works best for us.     

Something we determined after our first trip - three flashlights.  We bought the small, LED ones.  The batteries last practically forever.  One is always at the driver's station - I keep ours in the large cupholder by the driver window.  The second is in the "tool drawer" in the kitchen.  Also in the tool drawer is a pair of regular pliers, a screwdriver that takes multiple tips, and a pair of cutting pliers, one roll of electrical tape, about a dozen 8" long plastic tie-wraps, spare automotive fuses, a tire guage, an air chuck, and a couple of other "essentials" that I can't remember right now.  A full set of tools is in the first storage bay aft of the entry door.  The third flashlight is in the rear bedroom in one of the nightstands.  (actually we have one in each nightstand now, for a total of four).  The rear ones are very handy if one has to get up in the night to meet physiological needs.

Under the bathroom sink is an assortment of bungee cords (along with a few other things) - you can get these for about five bucks at Wal-mart.  We use the cords for many things - one of which is to keep the shower door from slamming back and forth while underway.

We also have about a half dozen wood working clamps - these are the small, spring loaded kind.  We use these when we're boondocking at Wal-mart or Flying J to hold a bath towel to the valence over the windows in the bedroom.  Makes the bedroom dark, if you're camping in a brightly lit area.  Very low tech, but works well.

Back
Top Bottom