Things to take along and not take along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't forget Duct tape. ;D.

We are not full timers so our got to haves may be different than a full time couple. We have lounging type lawn chairs (2)and a couple lawn chairs that are good for the beach  and fold up real small. We also use the Corel plates & bowls. We carry enough clothes for two weeks and if we are out longer use the Laundromat.  We will have a couple of sorta dressy outfits for when, if ever, needed. We are from Michigan so we will always bring some cold weather stuff (Jackets sweat shirts, rain gear,umbrella,etc). We have a Weber BabyQ (with 5 gallon propane tank), $20 electric griddle, toaster, coffee maker, and a blender. We carry a couple extra sets of bed linens and blankets (stored under the bed). We have maby 8-10 bath towels (I use mine at least for 3 showers....wife doesn't agree with that :eek:) and maby 3 beach towels. I bring my lap top and a all in one printer and wife has her Ipad. We have a first aid kit for the coach and one for the toad. We usually stock the fridge at home and will buy groceries away when the need arises. The "puppy" has his own drawer where we keep stuff for him (towels, toys, food, collars,leashes,poo bags ;D. brush, etc). Don't forget the cell phones and cameras and the chargers for them too ::).

I do agree with the thought tha the longer you go Rving the more you will find you really dont need....but its the wants that get us ;D

Sheila1947 said:
If you don't use it at home, you probably won't use it in the RV.  That's what I learned this trip.  I brought a  crockpot.  I don't use a crockpot at home unless it's for a big pot of soup for a potluck gathering.  Don't know why I thought I needed it in the RV.  But that's just me.  Lots of people swear by a crockpot.  A friend of mine chuckled because I brought my ironing board and iron.  Again, I iron at home, and I'm glad I brought it.  lol

Have a great time.

Sheila

Sheila:

I'm a HUGE fan of crock pot cooking but can see that not everyone would be.  For me, there's nothing quite like coming "home" from fishing or hiking all day, being cold, wet, tired, and hungry to the smell of a nice pot roast dinner emanating from the crock pot.  No muss, no fuss... just clean up a bit, sit down, and dig in.  Mmmmmm, good!  :)

SteelHeadR said:
I'm a HUGE fan of crock pot cooking but can see that not everyone would be.  For me, there's nothing quite like coming "home" from fishing or hiking all day, being cold, wet, tired, and hungry to the smell of a nice pot roast dinner emanating from the crock pot.

Or travelling all day with the crock pot "cooking." In the middle of the afternoon when the smell of stew or roast beef starts emanating from the crock pot, we just can't wait for dinner time. A great way to end a day of travelling.

Linda

Crock pot - yes, we did take one on our "maiden voyage."  We used the liners and they worked great.  (buy in the "baggie section)  No cleaning up after a spaghetti dinner.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Marilyn Richards said:
  We used the liners and they worked great.  (buy in the "baggie section)  No cleaning up after a spaghetti dinner.

Well, there you go, teaching US something! We crockpot constantly, but had never heard of the liners.  :eek:  And it's a bear getting that pot in the sink to clean without getting water all over the whole coach!

We also use a Sunbeam Rocket grill which prepares the meats, frozen or not, with pinching grills in a parchment bag. Again, no cleanup of fried meats or veggies....  ;D

The grill is very important! For me, half of the rv-ing experience is grilling. I like to do the vegetables. If you like to grill vegetables, make sure to bring oil, basil, a ;small brush (for the oil), aluminum foil, and a shallow pan. With these few items you can do a nice grill of squash, zucchini, and onions just to start!

About the electric mattress warmer, I can't live without mine. I am spoiled rotten, feeling like a well fed kitten cuddled up to mama cat.  It has thin wires, so I don't feel them at all.  I have my mattress warmer directly on the mattress, then a flat mattress pad, then the sheets, then the fluffy comforter, then the 5 pillows I sleep with (padded cell for a crazy mermaid!)

I prefer the mattress warmer over the electric blanket, because I don't have to store it anywhere in the summer, just unplug it. The mattress pad over it, keeps it nice and clean even though they say the electric mattress warmer is washable, I don't like that idea. Also, I don't have to store blankets (my motorhome is small).

I pull back the comforter in the corner, placing the dog's tiny bed there, so he gets a heated bed, on chilly nights too and he just LOVES that. The wattage on mine is 180 with 10 settings.

There is one model  that states in the product description;  "Constructed within the pad is the pantented Safe & Warm? low-voltage technology. This low-voltage mattress pad includes a small power supply box that changes 120 volt AC home current into non-hazardous low voltage DC current (very similar to a battery) to provide warmth, protection and safety even if the pad becomes wet."

Here is the tiny link:
http://tiny.cc/1wcsn

I am interested in  this, wondering if the cord can be changed to a 12 volt cord. It also has all sorts of extra features built in, my current one is just a simple one with 10 settings,  but it does have very thin wires, that I can't feel at all.

A crockpot for me is a must, I have the small 1.5 quart size, besides main meals, I also do assorted dried beans from scratch in it, while I sleep. Just toss them in at night with triple water, and by morning they are done, ready to be spiced up and flavored.  When the fridge and panty ends up with all sorts of odds and ends, it makes a terrific stew pot too. It also does awesome baked potatoes, very moist and flavorful. I use nonstick spray before cooking in it,  to make cleanup a snap. 

Another must-have for me, is a big outdoor self draining patio rug.  I often camp in state and national parks that are often totally unpaved, it's nice to set it up then add the folding lawn furniture.  A heavy duty outdoor extension cord is real handy for using outside for electric lamp or laptop or blender drunks.  Ooops, blender drinks.  :eek:

An assortment different sized of Ziploc baggies is also a must-have, great way to organize bits of small stuff besides  food.

My absolute FAVORITE must-have, is my puppy dog!  He provides love, comfort,security, endless entertainment and a reminder to exercise daily.  ;D

DearMissMermaid said:
About the electric mattress warmer, I can't live without mine.  It has thin wires, so I don't feel them at all.  I have my mattress warmer directly on the mattress.

I prefer the mattress warmer over the electric blanket, because I don't have to store it anywhere in the summer, just unplug it.

We absolutely agree with Miss Mermaid...don't leave home without it! We can drop the inside temp to 58 during the 10 degree nights in New Mexico and be quite toasty without roaring through the propane supply!  8)

Since we are not full timers, yet...we seem to have so much more storage in our new unit compared to our old one.  My daughter was tossing a perfectly good toaster oven out, so we grabbed it and put it in one of our bays.  We brought it out on our next trip and since we don't have an actual oven in our rig (micro-convect) it worked wonderfully!  We made home made pizza's and were able to cook them outside in the toaster oven.  Since it was a warm day it was nice to not have to heat up the inside of the rig too!  I've never been much of a crock pot person but you guys have piqued my interest and I'm thinking I might go out an get one.  Now, what size?  And...someone already asked this but I didn't see an answer; if you're going down the road, will my inverter run the crock pot or do I need to turn on my genset?  I'm liking the idea of having something ready when we get to camp! 

We actually have 2.  A 2 qt and a pretty good sized one that lives under the sofa.  We can do a good sized pork roast in the big one.  The small one will do nicely, we use the big one about twice a year. 

As to your convection, learn to use it, we use ours all the time.  And we have the oven, it is used to store things.

4ducksrus said:
And...someone already asked this but I didn't see an answer; if you're going down the road, will my inverter run the crock pot or do I need to turn on my genset? 

I was trying to find the draw on the crockpot, one place said 200 watts, another claimed 6.5 amps.

We use the 6qt, but always with shore power. I am going to be curious, too....

p.s. our GE convection microwave cooks a pizza fine!

skyking4ar2 said:
I was trying to find the draw on the crockpot, one place said 200 watts, another claimed 6.5 amps.
Are you sure it wasn't 700 watts?  At 6.5 amps & 120 VAC you are at 780 watts.  Besides, 700 watts sounds much more reasonable for a heating element.

4ducksrus said:
And...someone already asked this but I didn't see an answer; if you're going down the road, will my inverter run the crock pot or do I need to turn on my genset?  I'm liking the idea of having something ready when we get to camp! 

We use out crock pot on most trips, at least on the first day. We have a 1000 watt inverter which works quite well. We also like a freshly prepared dinner at the end of the day.  :)

Richard

Molaker said:
Are you sure it wasn't 700 watts?  At 6.5 amps & 120 VAC you are at 780 watts.  Besides, 700 watts sounds much more reasonable for a heating element.

Tom,

It was two different sites, and there are any number of sizes of crockpots - I could not narrow it down, and those were just the numbers that jumped out. I do know from personal experience that you cannot run the crockpot and the hair dryer on the same circuit in my coach!  :mad:

Oh and those odds and ends in the fridge and PANTY... 

YES, I did mean PANTRY not panty.  Though, now that I think about it,  I suppose a shoplifter might find a few odds and ends in their panty...  (not me though!)  However, I did once witness a shoplifter stuffing a large cheese ball into her bra, it looked like she had 3 boobs. I about fell over in the floor laughing so hard.

Hair dryers are often 1000 watts and up, many around 1500 to 1800 watts!

My 1.5 Quart (110 elec) Crockpot is 120 watts. It says so on the label stuck on the bottom of it.  It runs fine with my 200 watt inverter, when driving. I put a towel in the sink, then set the crockpot in there, while driving and cooking. Sometimes I let stuff cook overnight while camping, for future reference.  There is always the microwave to heat up a bowl or plate of leftovers.
Crockpots use low slow heat, the crock itself helps hold in the heat and the curved lid serves as a self-baster.

They make  12 volt, 1.5 quart crockpots.  Here is the tiny link to that marvel:

http://tiny.cc/is4f3

I wrote about the boneless turkey breast I did in my little crockpot, complete with pictures.

http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/2011/01/about-that-turkey.html

Size of crockpot depends on what you are cooking, and how many meals you are making. When I lived in a house, I had assorted crockpot sizes. Matter of fact, you can now buy a crockpot that comes with 3 nesting crocks, with 2-4-6 quart crocks,  so you can choose your size. They nest for storage in the pot, so they all use the same base and lid. If I had a slightly larger RV, this would be in my galley for sure, and way higher on the wish list than the backup camera or GPS.  ;D

Tiny link to look at it:
http://tiny.cc/in2hm

In my 28 foot mini-motorhome, I just have the 1.5 quart crockpot which is 120 watts but I have the 12volt one on my wish list. But now that I have a 200 watt inverter, no need for the 12 volt one, unless I end up boondocking with solar.

When my old sailing buddy was traveling with me (he eats for 2+) we made loads of tasty things in it.We saved the leftovers for microwaving to go with other meals or for our smorgasbord clean-up-the-fridge meal.

Besides the boneless turkey breast, I found a little Hormel pork roast one day, cooked it in the 1.5 quart crockpot with onions, apples, and herbs,  it was awesome. We made assorted meals off that, finally finishing it off by chopping up the leftover roast, tossing it with homemade BBQ sauce and letting that slow cook for sandwiches.

I tend to camp mostly in far flung places with nature, so I rarely dine out. Fixing breakfast and filling up the crockpot at the same time for lunch or dinner, is a real time saver.  Cheap tough cuts of meat will tenderize while slow cooking all day. Once you cook dried beans in a crockpot, you won't eat that stuff out of the cans again.  It's a real money saver, all around,  what with gas prices skyrocketing as I write this, we all need some money savers here and there.

Another favorite was some fresh green beans in it with Hormel real bacon bits, sliced almonds and halved grape tomatoes, plus herbs,  those were really tasty. We  used the greens beans as a side dish for several meals.

Oh man, I could go on and on about my crockpot dishes...

One other thing, my crockpot lid was one of the mystery noises, (clink, clink,clink as I drove down the highway)  also noticed the metal rim on the lid was chafing the crockery, when I had it stored in the cabinet and bouncing down roads. So now I use a piece of rubber shelf liner to keep the lid from chafing on the crock when storing it. If my crockpot broke, I would cry for sure.

Things I took along, since I do not have a house any more, includes most all my tools.

So today the man behind me is installing a base plate (roadmaster type) on his Satern.

He's not got the right size socket (i do)
he needed to trim some metal (I have an angle grinder)
He needed a different drill bit (I had one)

Well, it just keeps on like that for a few more lines

I finally helped him get the bolt in place and then he tightened it down and finished the job.

Of course you don't need to bring all those tools.. So long as SOMEONE in the CG has 'em and is willing to share.

I love my crockpot and wouldn't leave it behind even though I only use it once or twice a month. It stores in a box in a back corner under the dinette so it really doesn't take up any useful space. And, yes, the inverter will run it as you're driving down the road.

I have way too many pans. How many pans do you really need? I find that I mostly use the 2-quart pan and the big skillet and almost never use the small skillet or the other saucepans. I suspect that I could get by with fewer pans.

We take way too many clothes. After all, there are laundramats where we're going.

We have a bunch of games that we never play. Unless you fnd that you play board and card games a lot, forget the games. A couple of decks of cards take up very little space and allow for tons of games. And many libraries and RV parks have games to loan.

What you take will change frequently. Enjoy youir travels.
Wendy

do you run the genset or use an inverter to power your crock pot?

Molaker - While driving, the alternator charges and the inverter runs the crockpot.  Not sure that I said this correctly but we don't need to turn on the generator.

We no longer carry an outdoors grill.  Just weren't using it.  I do have a small George Foreman grill that I can use for two hamburgers or two steaks.  We don't eat as much red meat as formerly which explains low need for grills.  Although I do have some bake in a bag chicken and vegetable dishes that are good on a grill.

Flashlights - ONLY three????  If your name were Jerry you would have at least a dozen!!!  I find flashlights everywhere I turn.  ::)  His flashlights take up less room than my clothes.  ;D

We also have a small set of essential tools that we keep inside in case the weather's lousy and we need a screwdriver or pliers.

We also like the electric warming pad.  It warms the mattress which retains the heat for a couple of hours after turning off the electric pad.  Gave up on the electric blankets because of the poor sine wave which apparently ruined a couple.  Some RVs have better power than others....

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom