Things to take along and not take along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Codgerbill,
Yes bill this is assuming a power factor of 1.(Unity power factor)  Unfortunately we have to make some assumptions to make this simple enough to calculate.  In this case we are assuming the apparent power and the real power are close enough so as to avoid much more complicated mathematics.  Utility's and often RV parks will use devices to correct power factors to ensure devices work within the tolerance of normal.  So as to clarify just a bit, it is not in a utility's best interest to have a power factor of less than .95 and it would like to be as close to 1 as financially possible because of how billing, usage, and power delivery works.

I should have put this in before.  Assuming as bill said a power factor of 1 (Unity Power) then the following are true:
50 amps = 6000 Total watts (give yourself 15-20 percent of a pillow on that.)
30 amps = 3600 total watts (See above)
20 amps = 2400 total watts (See above again)
10 amps = 1200 total watts  (See above again, again)

Anything with a motor in it will use SIGNIFICANTLY more power when it starts the motor than when it idles the motor.  ACs are the worst, when the compressor of a large AC kicks in it is a gigantic draw.

I'm not sure how I ended up getting technical in "Things to take along" but here you go!

Jeff

Now we know why I didn't like "Knowledge" in the list to take along :)

Thanks guys for the help.  I'm headed in the right direction now and I will check out that book as well.  Currently I'm only camping with hookups but will not always be doing so.

OK, back to the op original subject :)  I learned the hard way to take a combination of clothes - cool and warm regardless of the expected weather.  While I tend to pack more towards the expected weather I still toss in a couple of items just in case of a weather change. 

I also include a small jar of peanut butter and some bread just in case of an emergency.  So far I have come home with it unopened from each trip.  I also tossed in a can or two of soup too.  The soup came in handy when I got to the campsite and was way too tired and started feeling under the weather.  The finally morning I was glad that I had a box of cold cereal after encounting trouble with the microwave.  That trip taught me a lesson on not counting on the microwave oven for all meals. 

RLSharp said:
Or travelling all day with the crock pot "cooking." In the middle of the afternoon when the smell of stew or roast beef starts emanating from the crock pot, we just can't wait for dinner time. A great way to end a day of travelling.

Linda

Good idea, Linda!  The only problem I can see is becoming ravenous from smelling that wonderful aroma for hours before being able to dig in!  ;)

Some of the things we like to take that we couldn't do without while boondocking.

Survival saw, hatchet, maul.
Tarps, ropes and tent pegs.
Small step ladder, just big enough to reach the roof line.
Dutch ovens, and cast iron skillets, for cooking on or over open fires.
Tents for the kids, we can sleep the 7 of us in the 38' bus if we have to, and in bag weather one night in the mountains, we have had 11, (6 adults, 5 kids and 4 dogs, and had a night of surviving after our kids tent and the tent of the family next door got destroyed in high winds).
Coffee maker, and vacuum carafe, (brew a pot of coffee, fill the Copro (sp) carafe, stays hot for hours and the coffee doesn't go bitter with the extra cooking).
Largest George Foreman Grill, can be used indoors or out, and middle son likes to cook on it, he's pretty good if you keep an eye on how rare you like the middle of your food being, I like medium rare DW likes hockey pucks!
Games & packs of cards.
Flashlights.
We bought 2 tool kits, a 168 piece one for one of the outside lockers, a 48 piece one for under the kitchen sink.

Things we could live without.

TV dinner tables.
Fold out pet / child gate restraint, (the dogs leap over it, the kids do too).
Iron & ironing board.
The washer dryer combo, useful to have with just the two out in the RV, but a load isn't big enough to keep up with the 7 of us when all together, except for smalls, thinking about taking it out and adding more boxed storage.

I feel so much better now that I read your comment about the washer and dryer.  Up to that point, I thought I would kill for one!!  Thank you for all your good tips.  We will be in several campgrounds without hookups.

Ned said:
Probably, but one at a time.  Check the power requirements for each appliance and do the math.  Be sure you know what the circuit breaker is rated for on that branch circuit.

Great advice, Ned... as usual.  Older breakers may not work as well as new or newer ones, though, so it is possible to pop an older breaker when pulling almost as much power as the system can handle.  I've seen house electrical breakers that were rated for 15 amps trip when the load was just over 13 amps.  The good news is that most breakers are reasonably priced and it doesn't hurt a thing to replace them after several years of use.  In industry, it is common for companies to swap out all of their circuit breakers every 5 years.  A rotating plan that replaces 20% of them every year works pretty well.  No need for that in a home or RV, though, because there just aren't that many breakers to worry about.

Much good advice.  The only thing I would add, is that I have a bag in which there is one of everything you can buy at a drug store -- different kinds of over-the-counter pills and ointments, nail clippers, combs, hairbrushes, lip balm, etc. -- that might reasonably be a reason to make a special trip.  We still pack everything we think we'll need on any given trip but having the "mini drugstore" has saved a number of trips.

Especially helpful if you have guests who aren't used to traveling.

One thing I have & use that I haven't seen mentioned here is a hiking headlamp.  I may look like a dork when I'm using it  ;D  but it comes in handy when I'm working outside in the dark.  I like it better than a traditional flashlight because it puts the light right where I'm looking & it leaves both hands free.

Mike Wagner

Speaking of dorks, a net mosquito hat.  They stay in the RV and occasionally get used.  When I want one, I REALLY want one!  ::) ;D

ArdraF

This is a great thread. We are commencing our first trip in 8 weeks with our young family. This thread has helped alot!

One thing we are going to either take with us or buy one on the way is a rice cooker. Ours automatically switches from cook to warm once the rice is cooked and stays on warm for an hour unless you turn it off...that way you dont end up with cold rice, if you forget about it! It can make up to 5 cups of rice.
No more burning the rice in the saucepan!!

Rice is so economical, easy to store, quick to cook and can be made into a great filler/side dish.
We have made normal rice, oatmeal, risotto and flavoured rice in ours and im sure you could also do polenta. They are easy to clean, small and dont take up much room to store.
I loved the idea some one posted here of putting the slow cooker in the sink to cook while travelling and still be safe, and this would be the same for the rice cooker.

Thought id share this even though technically i havent been on a trip yet!!

Marilyn Richards said:
Since we are so new to RVing, I have a question for you "seasoned" travelers.  What have you taken on a trip that you wished you hadn't (or really did not need) MIL and what did you kick yourself for NOT taking?Enough beer
Thanks so much for your words of wisdom!

This is a great thread!
One of my must-haves is my camping journal. In it I record where I am, the date, the weather, how the trailer is behaving, if I need to fix anything, how the trip out was, the traffic -- you name it. In this journal I also record my "to get" list, things I wish I'd brought along!

Flashlights, batteries, tools, etc, have all come from trial and error figuring out what I need and don't need. Most of it is pretty basic. My list of things I need to get usually involves cooking utensils, oddly enough. A small strainer for spaghetti and other similar foods is essential. I like the crockpot idea, I'll want to give that one a try if we're camping with power.

As for clothes, I find that no matter what time of year it is, sometimes mornings and late nights are downright cold. Hats and mitts are essential. And on the few occasions we have power, those microwaveable magic heating-pad type bags are perfect.

A journal is a great idea.  It's good for the reasons you stated, but it would also be something interesting to read a few years after.

We like the crock pot for driving days.  I put it on in the morning (fits in the sink for safety) and by the time we arrive at our evening stop we have a nice dinner.  And, boy, does the motorhome smell good!

I love this idea, one I will be using in the future for sure.
BB

KarenS144 said:
You should be okay with the crockpot unless you've got everything else on too.  The outside outlets pull from the 30amps as well.
Some campsites have regular outlets on the pedestal for extention cords.  If you plug into those, you won't draw from the RV.  When we have one, I use it to power a box fan for the dogs and awning lights if I use them.

We take two 25' heavy duty extension cords and a multi surge protector.  I plug it into the campground post and operate things like crock pots, elec. grills, coffee pot, box fans ect... outside.

Back
Top Bottom