Toad Protection From Motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Dog

Okay....I've got the Wrangler all set up to tow. The centerline of the tow bar is 1" lower at the toad than it is at the MH which I believe should work good. I'm using the Readybrake Elite tow bar and brake system. When I first installed the readybrake into the receiver the mounting metal that holds the rock skirt on the bottom of the rear bumper of the MH was interfering with the tow bar so I removed the skirt on the back to cut it down where the receiver is. After taking the skirt off, I realized how much better the mh looks without it and am considering not reinstalling it......All who pull a toad...is that a mistake? At a glance it looks like the jeep would be high enough and close enough to not take any body damage. Is that wishful thinking? All opinions welcome.

Dennis, most folks who have a flap or skirt on the rear of their coach say that, if they hang too low, they can sometimes cause more toad damage than they prevent.  If they drag in gravel they will most definitely throw rocks up onto the toad.  If you like the looks of the MH without the skirt, then leave it off.

If you drive in construction areas or constant gravel roads a Protect-A-Tow may be a good purchase.

You're going to get opinions from both ends.  We have a skirt and think it helps.  Others will say it doesn't.  Even with the skirt we still have a front protector on the toad.  In our case it's a plexiglas piece that fits behind the towbar.  It saves a lot of paint.  But dont' think they're made anymore.  Most people think bras produce more problems than they solve, such as grinding grit that gets between the bra and the paint.

ArdraF

We have a skirt on the back because it was there when we bought the coach, but for towing we added a Protect-A-Tow. It does a much better job of protecting the toad, as well as keeping the back of the coach cleaner. I highly recommend it.

http://protectatow.com

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll leave the mh naked (can I say that?) for a few short trips and see how it does. What the hey, it's a "99" jeep.

I believe 1" is well within specs.. I think the spec is 3 inches. or less

As for the motor home skirt.. Those can be a mixed blessing, there are other products that do a much better job of protecting the towed,, The RV-underskirt (Bule Ox) or the Protect-a-Tow (I don't know) are two such examples.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom