Insurance necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvnewbie2011

We are New to the RV life (haven't started yet) we will be living in our "99" Dutchmen 36foot TT starting next month. I have been told that you do not have to have insurance (legally). I am wondering thou is it really necessary, especially for my unit beening the age it is?
I know that when it comes to vehicles you can pay for full coverage but if your car only worth $1000 etc then that is all you will get.
I am also curious how much is the norm for coverage and what does it generally cover...
also any company suggestions??
TIA :)

Check with your insurance compnay to see what your current policies cover.  Your homeowner's may cover contents, etc., and your vehicle insurance may cover all liability, etc., if you are connected when there is a claim.  There may not be too much that isn't already covered by those policies.  I have an additional policy on our trailer for things that are not covered elsewhere and it is about $100 per year. 

If you're going to be living in the trailer, does that mean you won't have a house, and consequently, no homeowner's insurance?  If so, then you will want a full time RVers insurance policy from a company that understands what that means and the coverages required.  A full timer policy for a trailer is a combination of homeowner's and liability coverages.  You definitely do need some insurance, how much and what limits is up to you.  Of course, you need the normal vehicle coverage for the tow vehicle.

Laws vary from state to state but in at least SOME states when you pull a trailer PL and PD (which are the required insurances) are covered by the tow-vehicle's insurance.

HOWEVER you may wish other forms of insurance on the trailer, Theft, Fire, Natural Disaster, Collision,  And if it's financed your bank may require.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom