"Co-op"ing an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turfhead

I just read a post about private individuals renting out their RV and was impressed by the resounding "NO WAY!" The most responses contained. It got me thinking about a conversation I had with a neighbor when we were looking for our rig. Would you consider buying an RV with a good friend or family member? I've heard of people going in on cabins and such, but not RV's. The thought here would be to make RVing more affordable for those of us who can only spend five or six weekends a year in the camper.  Let's hear your thoughts...

I'd go for a cheaper used unit before sharing ownership.  Main reason is I don't like to share big items like that.  I can do maintenance and repairs on my own schedule and budget and also any damage done to it will be by me.

I don't see where it would be any different than going in a group to purchase an airplane.  The scheduling conflicts would be similar as well.  Just make sure that everyone is required to keep good insurance.

EKB

My dad owns a co-op airplane, it was the only way he could own one.  In that situation the airplane is owned by a licensed corporation and all 5 guys are officers of the corporation with equal 20% stakes.  When you want out you sell your shares with the permission of the remaining owners.  There is a secretary (one of the officers) who schedules the time usage and collects the monthly dues, uses that money to pay for annual services and space rent at a local small airport.  If an arraignment like that could be made I might be interested.  Except for the whole bed thing, maybe I'm weird but I don't like hotels and I don't like sleeping in other people's beds.

My brother is a CPA and took that idea further and formed a club where the members have the ability to use a Class A rig (2005 Fleetwood Discovery) , a monster Jeep, a boat and a set of 4 quads.  Buy in is 25,000 and monthly dues are around to 350-500 to cover maintenance, storage and insurance.  He as the club founder owns all the toys and credit checks are required to join.  He replaces the toys semi-regularly and in the end it doesn't really make him money, but he gets access to more and nicer toys than he could otherwise afford.  I believe the club has a maximum of 10 or 15 members, and if you find someone to buy out your membership you get 25% of the initial fee's back.  He is constantly watching auctions (His father in law is a GM at a car lot so he gets to go to auctions.) for just the right replacement toy.  There is talk of added Wave Runners to the club but the members have to agree to an increase in dues.  There are also tons of rules, about how long for each use what happens if the item is returned dirty and stuff.

I wasn't interested in my brothers club mostly because the motorhome was my key interest, and I'm not fond of sharing!  The other thing is I don't think you can have more than one item at a time so you cant take the boat to the lake with the motorhome.  (Unless you are my brother who does that all the time!)

I agree with the others, however sometimes you can't always have it "your way".  If you have limited time to RV and limited money a co-op might be a reasonable answer.  In this situation the folks involved are part owners and will (or should be) motivated to take care of the equipment.  Next if these people are friends, you know them and have some idea of how responsible (and clean) they are.

It would not be my first choice, but if it made economic sense for my situation I'd consider it.

There are lots of Boat Club arrangements, little different, but you buy in, pay a monthly fee and there are boats to use when you want to boat.  I can see the same kind of deal with RV's.  Would be a nice way to ease into RV-ing.  Lets face it, if you are working the 9-5 and have 2 weeks vacation, it allows you to try the lifestyle without having to try the ownership.  Probably work better in areas that have longer seasons. 

I think the idea is probably a good one for young families who are only going to use the rig a few times a year.  While working, they schedule their vacations and so this could easily be put on a calendar.  I think most of us on this forum are older, have nicer more expensive rigs and want to come and go as we please.  We put our "personal" items in our MH's and wouldn't want to have to load and unload after each trip.  I also think that for the most part these "rental" units would be your bare bones RVs.

I don't think the idea is that it would be with friends.  Like a "time share," you don't know who else owns a portion of your unit.

Back
Top Bottom