Recliner hold-down/restraint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abentz

I am having difficulty understanding the willingness to leave a recliner or sofa unattached to the floor and/or the wall.  I used to drive tow truck and witnessed the results of even smaller objects flying forward in an automobile when coming to a sudden stop, ex: the priest that was killed by the bible that was setting on the rear window ledge when it struck him in the back of the head.

That being said, my existing recliner was a FlexSteel that is connected to the floor by a thumbscrew device attached to the floor. I am eliminating the FlexSteel that rocks and rubs against the wall and window coverings, in favor of a Euro style recliner.  I have seen the recliners used in Damon & Fleetwood fastened to the floors with thumbscrews and recessed threaded receivers and I can not find this part with any of the dealers or fastener manufacturers.  Does anyone know of a source?

Our 5th wheel has two recliners and each has an adjustable tiedown strap that go over the arms when in travel position.  The strap attaches to a fold down ring on the floor on each side of the recliner.  When not traveling the straps are removed (has a clip similar to a dog leash on each end).

We also have the straps in our 5vr....of course we also have a Cardinal.  I like the straps better, easier for me to release.  Our bird came with 2 recliners, but we removed one to give DH more room.  We use the strap set-up from the second recliner to hold down his side table.
I can't imagine going down the road with loose items. :eek:

Our 5er has straps that attach to the wall to fasten the recliners.

Thanks for the replies!  The prospect of mounting two "D" ring plates to the floor or wall and then using a strapping device makes sense, other than the need to place a towel under the strap to prevent chaffing as the coach moves.

The unit that I have personally observed were Damon and Fleetwood Class A coaches with Euro Style Recliners.  They had two large plastic knobs with bolts extending down through the base ring into some threaded device.  I do not know if the devices were recessed into the floor or mounted on top of the floor.

It is amazing the number of manufacturers and RV parts suppliers that I have contacted with no success.  They understand what I need, but have no part numbers or descriptions of the parts.

The best I have come up with on my own is to order 2 Waddell Straight Top Plates, Model #2751.  These are table leg plates that are mounted to the bottom of the table with 4 mounting screws, and the center is threaded to accept the table leg bolt.  Home Depot has the Waddell Angle Top Plate #2752 @ $1.98 which allows the legs to slightly angle for a wider base.

Does anyone know where I can buy these?  Waddell does not sell retail and minimum order of 25.  No luck so far at local hardware stores that sell coffee pots and lawn chairs.

abentz said:
Does anyone know where I can buy these?  Waddell does not sell retail and minimum order of 25.  No luck so far at local hardware stores that sell coffee pots and lawn chairs.

Are these what you are looking for? If the originals were simply a hole with steel threads, they are probably either  just T-nuts that were installed from the bottom, or threaded inserts screwed in from the top. Check out the screw on T-nuts on the same Rockler site. They would have a much smaller footprint and could be installed by just drilling one hole and screwing them down.

That product was called a "clinch nut plate" and I have researched this further, I have seen them called "bottom plates" and "top plates" so a good part of the problem is the industry is not consistent in naming the product.  I have ordered 2 Waddell top plates at $1.49 ea from the local Tru Value, where the hardware salesman showed me a 2" plastic knob which would receive various length 5/16" bolts so this will work great in this application allowing flexibility in choosing the length without special order.

Thanks for the help!

Just removed a love seat and replaced wit ha euro chair.  Since mine backs up to the kitchen cabinets, I add two eye bolts with large finder washers.  Then I take a strap that has a snap hook on each end and a belt buckel in the middle.  Hook on and pull strap tight.  No problems with any chafing you reffered too.

Back
Top Bottom