roadside assistance AAA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5n2mom

Our family AAA policy is up for renewal this month and since I just bought the truck I want to travel with I"m looking at roadside assistance packages. The AAA doesn't seem too popular with "regular" coach style rv-ers  and I'm not entirely clear on their policy. It seems like the rv rate covers the truck/camper not the driver but if the camper is off  then the driver is covered as usual (in any vehicle).. Can you make recommendations? In all we have at least 3 drivers (up to 6) and 5 vehicles (minumum) with one truck camper to cover ( not looking to change  insurance-just roadside  that covers the camper too)

5n2mom said:
Our family AAA policy is up for renewal this month and since I just bought the truck I want to travel with I"m looking at roadside assistance packages. The AAA doesn't seem too popular with "regular" coach style rv-ers  and I'm not entirely clear on their policy. It seems like the rv rate covers the truck/camper not the driver but if the camper is off  then the driver is covered as usual (in any vehicle).. Can you make recommendations? In all we have at least 3 drivers (up to 6) and 5 vehicles (minumum) with one truck camper to cover ( not looking to change  insurance-just roadside  that covers the camper too)

It seems like the rv rate covers the truck/camper not the driver but if the camper is off  then the driver is covered as usual (in any vehicle)..

Lot's going on in your post... can just relate what we have.  Started with the basic AAA years ago, then just started notifying them with the kids as they got licences, they are covered until 19 I believe without their own/added or separate coverage.  As for the package, we have the RV Gold or what-ever it's called (don't have my card handy) but when we are towing, we are covered for the 5ver and TV, if they can't assist with tire change or what-ever problem is, they will send two trucks in order to get us to choice of facility up 2 100miles.  I think I've been paying $175.00/yr for this, need to call them and ensure they have up-2-date info since we have changed TV and moved from the TT to the 5ver recently.  Hope this helps.

AAA road service policies are issued by the individual state/province AAA club and aren't necessarily the same nationwide. You really need to address your question to your state AAA. And in many states, there are multiple levels of policy, e.g. "Plus" and "Premier" and the coverages differ. 

Here is a RV coverage FAQ from AAA-South, which is most of the southeastern US states:
http://www.aaasouth.com/Membership/RV_FAQ.aspx

Are you asking about coverage on a truck camper rig?  I thought is was not considered an RV for road service purposes - it's just a pick-up with a big load in the back, even if being towed. But you would want to ask that question of the AAA rep too.

I have the AAA coverage , its called the plus RV level and this covers my auto's, motorcycles and MH. Most coverage is very similar state to state but If I run into different coverage limits in another state then when I get back I file for reimbursement from my home state. Go to your home state AAA webpage and check coverage and cost (mines app. $160/yr). I initially raised it from basic auto to the RV level to qualify for the insurance rates which saved me a bunch also. When my AAA coverage expires I am comparing it with Coachnet again, which is another good service. You just have to decide which combo works for your situation. They are all pretty good programs.

as best I can tell from the AAA operator having any vehicle/driver qualify as an RV (which she said my TC would) makes the whole family  charged at that rate , which  adds up with several drivers and paying upfront in some area would be inconvient, USAA  is inexpensive for  each car but said I'd have to off-load the camper to be towed(!) ..so I'm comparing CoachNet  and Good Sam , good Sam seems a little less expensive but I can't find anywhere on their site that says the numbers of times you can call in a year/unlimited?..do you know?  Betweeen the two is the service about the same?

If you belong to just about any RV organization, like FMCA or Escapees, Coach-Net has a discounted price.  Coach-Net is not just a tow truck dispatcher but has trained technicians available on the phones to help diagnose problems, including appliances and engine.  They will also assist in getting a service appointment for you at an appropriate service facility along your route and get you towed there, if necessary.  Coach-Net is so much more than the other roadside assistance programs it's worth it even if it were more expensive.

For questions on the details of their plans, check their web site or call them.

Here in Southern CA my AAA roadside RV coverage will tow the TT up to 100 miles while basic auto roadside plan will only tow something like 8 or 12 miles.  Temporary I upgraded the auto from basic so that it could be tow along with the TT if need be until I consider my options more in detailed and make a final decision.

I suppose the odds of someone in my  same situation will be small but GoodSam ended up being the ERS I went with...Coachnet told me they would not cover autos in Calif & I would need to purchase seperate NMC for that,  AAA said they would off load the truckcamper before towing and they charge per driver so that really adds up, USAA doesn't cover RV's..the GoodSam was $79 for the standard package for the 1st year -it covers one rv, all my under 25 kids- I'm happy.

USAA doesn't cover RVs?  Odd, they have covered my TT for some 15 years.   

I have used AAA (So Cal Auto Club) RV towing for a number of years and have never heard of that off loading provision.  AAA uses tow contractors and I have known some of those lads to have creative interpretation of coverage.  Just for the hell of it, I will check with the local office on the subject and get back with the info.

USAA-Insurance for the RV (and recomended it for the truckcamper itself) yes, Roadside-she said no- which is a shame cause theirs is so inexpensive. AAA , I know it sounds crazy, I don't know if the person at their 800 # really did not understand but she asked several questions about the rig came back and said they would unload the camper- I clarified that it was not a towed camper, that it was attached to the bed of the truck-she seemed to understand that...but in the end although I've had AAA for all my adult life it was a lot more expensive to cover all our drivers and the camper and I didn't feel at all confident that the right service would be available if needed.  If I got it all wrong feel free to correct me- but thats how it work out for me.

Carl L said:
USAA doesn't cover RVs?  Odd, they have covered my TT for some 15 years.   

I've had USAA insurance for 24 years.  When I called for coverage on our m/h last year, they told me they don't cover r-v's anymore and I had to purchase from Progressive.  USAA has changed, in my opinion, over the last several years, and not for the better.

I have AAA RV Plus Texas........... I locked the keys to my cab-over in the cad-over and AAA would not open the camper. They said they only open cars/trucks NOT rv's....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom