Gas Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffs94

In light of the fast-increasing gas prices, does anyone plan to reduce traveling this year? My RV gets horrible gas mileage and right now prices for regular here in Denver are about $2.08 a gallon. My plan this summer is just do local trips to the lake and what not, no major traveling. I refuse to pay that much for gasoline.  :mad:

buffs94 said:
In light of the fast-increasing gas prices, does anyone plan to reduce traveling this year?

The price of fuel is such a small percentage of what I have invested in my motorhome that I stopped worrying about it.  I would hate to die wishing I had taken more trips.  I can reduce my food budget without a lot of sacrifice.  Slowing down a bit will go a long way to reduce fuel costs.

Phil

I'm with you Phil. I could put off trips for a year or two, but the depreciation on my coach in that time woukd swamp the fuel savings.

I'm with Phil and Tom on this.  Yea it is discusting the fuel prices are going up but we will slow down a little and continue trraveling as we want.

Ned and I are with Tom and Ron.  Actually our fuel prices are still lower than other countries and slowing down would improve the fuel consumption.  As the sign at one park we have been to says 'Slow down and smell the roses'.

I'll go along with the crowd.  We'll probably do about the same number of miles this year as last year.  I'll try to hold my speed down to help on the mileage but knowing myself, that's probably a vain hope  ;D ;D.

Lorna

You're not kidding about fuel prices in other countries. In jolly old England they pay pay around $6/gal (U.S.). 70-75% of the pump price is taxes. Here's a quick look at their fuel prices compiled by AA, their equivalent of AAA.

What are some reliable web sites where gas and fuel prices can be monitored.? Of course we all know about the Flying J Website which shows the prices for diesel, gas and propane in all their stations in Canada and the U.S.

I must have been the only customer in the gas station with a smile on my face,Why? i had just filled up with 85 galls of diesel at US price $1.99 compared to what i would have paid in the UK $6 a gall.So i will be traveling as much as i can before we go home to the UK

Ian and Doreen

LOL Ian, you sound like me when I first visited the U.S. in the 70's. Folks here were complaining bitterly about paying 58 cents a gallon.  :)

Good advice from everybody.  I have been agonizing about the big bucks it's going to cost to toddle back up to Oregon in June.  I can slow down.  I didn't realize that the effect would be so dramatic, but everybody here seems to notice the difference.  I wonder, also, if it would be more economical to avoid CA and go back up through AZ, NV, OR.  I seem to recall the prices in those Reno shortcut towns were pretty high.  I REALLY hate that drive, but I'm not much more fond of I-5. 

--pat

You can check gas prices via <a href="http://www.gasbuddy.com">gasbuddy.com</a> or see it mapped out <a href="http://www.ahding.com/cheapgas/">here</a>.

I use GasBuddy myself, however be aware that prices are posted for 36 hours, if the price is posted 1 hour before the station ups it's prices.... Well, I drove past a station where GB showed regular at 2.01, the sign said 2.21 one of the highest pricied stations in the area,  So I went down the road to a 2.04 (in all cases add .009)

Here in Traverse City, where it appears price fixing is a way of life, regualr gas went up from 2.12 to 2.25 over night.  Probabnly some special event in town that they feel they can rip off.  Went up about a week ago for one day apparently there was some convention in town.

Conoco here is 2.279-2.299.  Right across the street from one Conoco at 2.299 is a Speedway at 2.139.  Guess which drive is backed up into the street and which is empty :)  Even BP is 2.139 across the street from another Conoco at 2.279.  It's crazy.

buffs94 said:
In light of the fast-increasing gas prices, does anyone plan to reduce traveling this year? My RV gets horrible gas mileage and right now prices for regular here in Denver are about $2.08 a gallon. My plan this summer is just do local trips to the lake and what not, no major traveling. I refuse to pay that much for gasoline.  :mad:

I don't think your going to ever see signifiacntly lower prices then now except in case of a major economic collapse. The world demand especially in China is going to put pressure on the source pricing and I doubt any great number of refineries are going to be built in US which is the primary cause, i.e. lack of refining capacity, of high prices today. No on wants them  in their backyard including me. :(

I think most of us have decided to live with the price of fuel.

What REALLY pushes my button is to fuel for 1.50/gal and drive 8 miles to the next exit and see diesel for 1.25!

Now that is hard to bear! :mad: :mad: :mad:

My new golden rules:
    1. Don't check the mileage, I don't want to know.
    2. Don't wait until I am empty, somehow spending less that $200.00 feels better.
    3. Pay cash - no reminders next month.

Any others? ;)

Diesel at local marinas on Monday varied between $2.18 and $2.99/gal. The $2.18 guy also gave a $0.10 discount, making it $2.08. There really is no explanation for $0.91/gal difference other than gouging.

buffs94 - I think all of us have been "stunned" by fuel prices recently, however I will not decrease our travel plans.

After looking at the $ and doing some calculations, I found the following: we use the MH about 10,000 miles a year and at 8mpg that equals about 1,200 gallons of diesel. The difference in prices in summer 2004 to 2005 herein the SW is between .40 and .60 cents a gallon. My additional cost will only be about $480 - $720.

I think, I'll keep traveling.

Back
Top Bottom