first time escapees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

We just returned from our first winter escape to Florida from ice and snow bound Ohio.  2400 miles 8 campgrounds in 6 weeks (includes one night stop overs).  We set out to explore the RV life for a winter escape and are making plans to go longer next year.  Seeing friends and relatives while exploring Savannah the everglades, the Keys, Miami and other parts of Florida was a trip to remember.  The friendliness of the people we met and the fun we had does not compare to the fly out rent a car and drive around vacations we have done in the past.

Problems?  Sure we had a few, but this forum taught me we would and they were not uncommon or much more than a temporary setback.  We had fun, stayed healthy and escaped a hard winter.  What more could we ask for.  So for all the Fl folks, this is a warning.  WE WILL BE BACK!

What did we learn: ;)
Why did we take all that?
RV friendly fuel stops often mean Diesel not gas.
Always check on how to pull in is a good practice, but checking on how to pull out before you pull in is even more important.
be patient.  The car that pulled in front blocking you at the pump just wants lottery tickets and beer.  He will be out in 10 or 20 min.
If you did not bring it, there is always a store around.
Cars love to cut you off then slow down.
It is not if but when you need to unhook the toad to turn around.  5 weeks 0 times then 2 times in 2 days.
You will meet some great friendly people, some from close to home.
Do not trust ONLY a GPS.  have many route planning guides.
People stuck at home in the snow and ice get sick of seeing pictures of you in shorts under a palm tree.

Indeed, you have learned a lot.
schoolsout2 said:
The friendliness of the people we met and the fun we had does not compare to the fly out rent a car and drive around vacations we have done in the past.

Pretty neat, isn't it?

Hey, George.  I think we hooked another one!  ::)

ArdraF

I'm telling you, stories like that are giving me the "itch"!!!!! ;D

Back to Ohio just in time for another 6" of snow, I KNOW YOU MISSED IT :D. Glad to hear you had such a good time, helps encourage us further for next winter, we have every intension of finding a house sitter or selling it and getting the hay outta here! I love your lessons learned, I am sure that we can all relate to them!

Welcome home!

It's a tough life, isn't it? Bad news it it got up over 80 degrees here in Yuma today. Good news is, it was 37 at home and snowing. Life Is Good.

Wendy

ArdraF said:
Hey, George.  I think we hooked another one!  ::)

ArdraF
It sure sounds like it.

It was a cool rainy day here today.  I don't think it got much above 75.

Yes DAR back in time for 6 inches of Ohio sunshine.  Wife said they just did not want us to miss out on the fun.  Only a few issues on the trip, but a windshield that popped out of the seal really threw me.  Patched in SC and made it home where a local glass shop took care of it.  Found post about this being a common thing, guess I will need to keep a watch on it. 

Blew a breaker when wife tried to run too much.  I was golfing and she trouble shot it and fixed it.  She is really becoming a great repair help, now to teach her to drive it.

schoolsout2 said:
We just returned from our first winter escape to Florida from ice and snow bound Ohio.  ...  We had fun, stayed healthy and escaped a hard winter.  What more could we ask for.  So for all the Fl folks, this is a warning.  WE WILL BE BACK!

Hey, thanks for the warning!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom