roof repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpoly1

We have a 1987 Jayco Designer 5th wheel that has developed serious leaks and soft spots in the roof. Last year I took some of the ceiling panels down and noticed some of the 2x3 trusses were soft ( damage is in the rear of the trailer). My question is how big a job is this to complete and how many hours will it take? I'm fairly handy having built our family room and remodeled our bathroom, but I've never tackled work on an RV.  Looks to my like the aluminum roof will have to be rolled back, roof truesser replaced and new ceiling panels installed. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

In general terms, your estimate is correct.  Time wise you're looking at 80-120 man hours.  We redid the roof a few years back, summary in the link below, and that effort took all of that time.  It's all doable, its not complicated, it's not the most fun project I've done because it drags on & on.  Finding a place to work under a roof will be a great benefit, which we did not have.

first, if you are going to remove the metal roof, you might need a shop to put the rig in. this would me an extensive remodel. all components of the roof will have to be removed which will also include the outside wall trim. The air conditioner is heavy and if your roof is rotted probably be hard to support your weight up there. good luck, have some patience.

After closer inspection it looks as though one side of the trailer as some structural side wall damage as the luan walls are soft and it appears that some of the 2X2s are rotted.  Question: If I repair the walls from the inside, how could I fasten the siding to the 2X2 without fastening it from the outside. I was thinking about simply using constuction adhesive in certain spots but unsure if this will hold or other problems will develop. Or do you think I need to pull the aluminum siding off completely.  If so, is this an easy task? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom