Another MS Streets & Trips question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

I've created a route in S&T from Stone Mtn. GA to Harrisburg PA.  S&T takes me on I-85 to US 321 in NC to I-40 to I-77.  Why doesn't S&T keep me on I-85 to I-77?  What does S&T know that I don't? 

Mike Wagner

PS If the Forum staff thinks this post should be in another category feel free to move it.

Check your options.  You might have avoid something checked or shortest route or something checked so that it is sending you that way.  Sometimes you just have to pull the route to the road you want to travel and it will recalculate and get back to you!

Karen & George,

Thanks for the tip.  I never looked at the options before.  I got S&T in January & really haven't used it too much.  It turns out my Route Option was already set to Quickest, which put me on US 321 & avoided the Charlotte NC area.  When I changed the Route Option to Shortest, S&T recalculated my route to take me off of I-77 & I-81 & put me on US 29 & US 15.  The shortest route is 696.9 miles & 1 day, 4 hours & 32 minutes.  The quickest route is 719.8 miles & 1 day, 2 hours & 42 minutes. 

I guess S&T really wants me to avoid the congestion around Charlotte.

Mike Wagner

ceemike said:
I guess S&T really wants me to avoid the congestion around Charlotte.

I would not hesitate to go to the Charlotte area.  Is S&T showing that you can take I-485 to connect from I-85 to I-77?  With that route you do not get close to downtown Charlotte.  The only caution I would give is to try to avoid rush hour traffic (going into Charlotte on I-85 in the morning or going out of Charlotte on I-77 North in the evening).  This should be much faster than going to the other routes suggested.
Delbert

Delbert,

Thanks for the tip about using I-475.  I'm probably going to stay on the interstates & not use US 321.  I feel more comfortable staying with the interstates.  When I saw S&T was routing me off the interstate & onto another road I wanted to know why it would do that.

Mike

Downtown Cht can be as bad as downtown Atl at the wrong time. That said we drove through at 10am, S tp N and it was easy. Having lived there and worked downtown all of '99, I knew the roads & Lanes.

S&T is a good program but sometimes you need to grab the road before you get to another road you would rather take and just click and drag. Play around a little, it's fun!

ceemike said:
Delbert,

Thanks for the tip about using I-475.  I'm probably going to stay on the interstates & not use US 321.  I feel more comfortable staying with the interstates.  When I saw S&T was routing me off the interstate & onto another road I wanted to know why it would do that.

Mike

Mike,
FYI, It should be I-485, not I-475.  I had it incorrect in my earlier post.
Delbert

RVcyclist said:
I would not hesitate to go to the Charlotte area.  Is S&T showing that you can take I-485 to connect from I-85 to I-77?  With that route you do not get close to downtown Charlotte.  The only caution I would give is to try to avoid rush hour traffic (going into Charlotte on I-85 in the morning or going out of Charlotte on I-77 North in the evening).  This should be much faster than going to the other routes suggested.
Delbert

My Streets and Trips 2010 doesn't show the 485 (the part west of Charlotte) completed all the way to the 77 north of Charlotte, but if you check it out on Mapquest, it is.  I have heard from others that have used it that there is practically no traffic at all and is smooth as glass.  I'll definitely be using it to avoid Charlotte on my way to/from Florida.

Diehard & Delbert,

I just got around to working on the route again & I found the same thing that diehard did, that S&T 2010 doesn't show I-485 connecting 85 to I-77.  I-485 ends at NC 16.  I checked my AAA route planner & it shows I-485 is finished. 

I'm at the FMCA rally in Perry GA & I went to an S&T seminar today.  I received a 60 day trial of S&T 2011.  I guess I have to install it to get the updated maps.  I asked if I could get an update for free since I bought S&T 2010 less than two months ago.  That left them ROFL. 

I will be using I-485.  I like the idea of an uncrowded Interstate.

Mike Wagner

Mike

I got the 2010 freebie last year at FMCA-Redmond. I installed it and used it for the trial period, the MS person at Redmond assuring me that I could go back to v2009 if I didn't like it. Since the 2011 version wasn't far away, I didn't want to pay for an upgrade and to shortly have outdated maps so I tried to go back to v2009 to wait until the 2011 version came out. Unfortunately, MS changes the software enough each year so that the maps created under the new version are not usable with the old. I called MS tech support and complained because the maps that were created with the trial version were useless. The technician wound up generating a user code that enabled my 2010 trial version to become unlocked.

Bernie,

Thanks for the heads up.  I suspected there might be a problem uninstalling the 2011 version if I didn't want to buy it so I decided not to use it.

Mike Wagner

ceemike said:
Thanks for the heads up.  I suspected there might be a problem uninstalling the 2011 version if I didn't want to buy it so I decided not to use it.

Mike

Actually, there was no problem uninstalling v2010 or using v2009 (the 2 versions I had) since they were 2 different installs, were both on the computer at the same time and each could be run separately. The problem was any route/map created under the new version was not usable by the old version. If you don't create and save routes, you can go back to the old easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom