EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: Adjusting awning spring tension  (Read 4942 times)

Snowman9000

• ---
Adjusting awning spring tension
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
I am in the middle of an awning fabric replacement.  It's ready to put back on the trailer, but I am quite sure I will end up having to adjust the tension after trying it out.  The reason for that is that I lost track of how many turns were on it originally, and anyway, it wasn't enough to begin with.  Plus it is a Coleman-Faulkner Ultra 18', no longer made, and there are no instructions out there that I can find as far as how many turns to put on the springs.  So I made a good guess, based on other brands and the wisdom of the internet.  :) 

But the odds are that I will have to adjust them one way or the other.  Is this the easiest method?:

- disconnect only one side's spring end/bracket from the rafter arm (taking care to control it with vice grips, cotter pin, etc.),
- wind on or off the number of adjustment turns,
- reattach the rafter arm, and
- repeat on the other side.

Or is there an easier method?

I have read a post or two by Gary saying to completely disconnect the rafter arm from the trailer, then use it as a lever to turn the spring.  This seems harder but safer.  I'm assuming the awning tube would be all the way out, resting on ladders or something.

Gary RV Roamer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • We're on the road again...
Re: Adjusting awning spring tension
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Don't know if your Faulkner works like this one, but here is a tip for tightening the Ultra awning.
http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2132
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition
2007 GMC Acadia
Homebase: Ocala National Forest, FL

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
I just replace the fabric on my three 60" and one 66" awnings. I put 12 turns on both ends per the instructions which came with the new fabric. This may help, however mine are a completely different brand.

Richard
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Snowman9000

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Well got the awning onto the trailer, and it needs more tension.  I had 10 turns plus the number of turns added by unrolling the awning.  I need at least 3 more, I bet.  I'm going to try the rafter arm method.