Carlisle, PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aniagara

Hi! I saw a few posts when I searched from people who live in the Carlisle area, but nothing really about campground recommendations.

We'll be driving from the Syracuse area to Bethesda, MD.  Carlisle seems to be about halfway.

Where do folks recommend parking overnight?  Our main concern is feeling totally safe.  Next comes price for hookups.

Thanks!

Check  Gettysburg area, several campgrounds in that area. It is about 30 min south of carlisle on Rt 15,, keep heading south after and you will get to Maryland

I spent a weekend every summer for over 10 years of my childhood at the Drummer Boy Campground in Gettysburg. Although we stayed in a cabin, not a motorhome, I have to say its among one of the most convenient places around (entrance is 200 feet from route 15 freeway ramp). I don't know what the pricing is like, but the campground was big back then and I know its twice as huge now so I would guess they'd be pretty reasonable, or at least on par with the other facilities in the area. When it comes to the area being safe or not, I really never thought about it, which I guess is a good thing. However now that I think about it, we would walk around there all the time after dark and never felt unsafe.  This is a very developed facility with an on site store and many amenities so I wouldn't be surprised if they have 24 hour security. Here is the website.....http://www.drummerboycamping.com/

P.S. for a point of reference, I last stayed there in 2006 and last visited in 2009, and it all seemed the same.

Depending on your timing, Carlisle might not be the best spot. The Carlisle Fairgrounds host a LOT of events, and overnight space is a premium. Almost every weekend from end of April to Sept has something going on there.

We went that same route last fall.
Stayed at WESTERN VILLAGE of I-81. Well maintained and good folks. Just check the Carlisle events schedules before trying to stop in. www.westernvillagervpark.com

Thanks, everyone - we ended up staying overnight at Stony Fork Creek Campground in Wellsboro.  They were the only ones that answered the phone and they were SUPER nice, letting us just park by the office and plug in to an outside outlet.  Really warm bathrooms, looked like a lovely park with playground and lake.  We literally pulled in around 11 PM I think and left by 8 am but it worked out perfectly and wasn't too out of the way.

Thanks, again!

Back
Top Bottom