1984 Fleetwood/Chevy P30 chassis electrical issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curt/n/Candy

took off the alternator tonight and carried it to Autozone to have it checked; found out that A; they don't like being told how to do their jobs (i worked for Autozone and still work in auto parts) and B; the alternator is okay. hmmmm.

this leads me to the theory that i still have a lot to do to fix the wiring of the batteries and isolator. hmmm.

(what ticked me off at Autozone was the guy intentionally misreading the clearly marked label on the unit. yeah, i KNOW it was quarter to nine; but i was fully prepared to buy a NEW unit IF mine had tested bad. throwing out a ninety dollar sale is kinda dumb to me.) the 'zoner DID test the unit and took the time to instruct his new guy as well.  hey, i don't like being the last minute customer either.

Livingstone's RV repair handbook is worth it's price.  i added a ground strap connector; used the boost start switch, the engine started up and the ammeter showed the charging system working. even without the gauge, the brightness of the lights indicated it was charging correctly.  baby steps!

every victory, however small, is worth celebrating!

Glad you're making progress. I was having problems with a 1986 Itasca. Once I  added a ground strap, it cured it!

I'm wintering in South Texas in my '87 Pace Arrow. Last month I took it to S. Padre for a Club Rally and noticed it was discharging on the gauge. Same way on the return trip.  Took off the doghouse and checked the  alternator, which checked bad.  Took it off and had it checked at Oreillys.  They replaced it under warrenty (2 years old). It went bad while sitting for 2 months.  Go figure.  Owning an antique MH is a love of challenge.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Eddie Elk.

Back
Top Bottom