why no slide ups? second story on the RV.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1275gtsport

I was just thinking that a second story on an RV might be a good idea. however most of them are tall enough already and thought a pop up top would be good.

Well I must not be searching for the right terms I have only found the skydeck by airstream. which too me seems just shy of being useless. even with the optional boat like cover if it's raining you can't use it.
And the keystone outback loft. but can not seem to find it in a motor home layout.

why would this NOT be a good idea? I think it would be a good place for the kids or grand kids and if it is just you and a spouse then it stays down (unless you want the view).

Or, weight, $$$$$ and lack of demand. 

There are many great solutions to non-problems out there..

Volkswagen thought of this many years back... (see photos)

It seems like it would require a completely customized chassis to support the constant DOWNWARD force of weight, as mentioned.  Not so sure how easy a "slide up" would be in terms of mass production.  It does sound like a nice "private space" to have though!

Attachments

• vw-rv1.jpg
    vw-rv1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 44
  • vw-rv2.jpg
    vw-rv2.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 43
There is one that looks like a garbage truck but it's basically a German 4x4 truck meant for going way off road.  But it doesn't have two stories.  The popup covers the windows and such.

Can you imagine living in a two story RV when the wind starts blowing against the side. :-X

Wizard46 said:
Can you imagine living in a two story RV when the wind starts blowing against the side. :-X

Good point... you'd need some outriggers similar to what fire trucks have to use when ladders are extended.  Might be a problem with the width of some campsites!  ;)

Attachments

• outrigger.jpg
    outrigger.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 22
I remember seeing a trailer witha pop-up loft but i don't have any details. I also saw one a long time ago in a schoolbus conversion they dropped the back and added a loft above.

I like DeNiro's RV but was not thinking of something that expensive. solid sides might be good. I noticed on the outback forum that it gets hot in the loft.

the VW is classic.

If the second story was only part of the length of the RV it would not catch as much wind. I did find that newmar has a loft but it really is more of a split. they drop the floor behind the rear axle and put the "kids" loft  above the rear bedroom. you loose the basement storage but don't gain height either.
always a trade off somewhere.

I hope that roof has some serious fail-safes built-in.  I'd hate to be asleep on the second floor and wake up to a roof that retracted from a loss of hydraulic pressure or other malfunction.

I would be easy Tony.  A few pulleys and belts going up to the 2nd level to a 2nd steering wheel and some long push rods to reach the pedals.  Red Green did exactly that to mount be able to drive his K-Car from the roof in his Zambony conversion.

It was only one month ago I posted this thread on two story RVs.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=40305.0

Since that time he has reduced the price from $50k to $43.5K.

If I could afford one I would buy a Volvo VanHool 50' tag axle deck and a half coach.

There is a drivers cab area, three seats, drivers side and passenger side doors, air ride seats, and a queen bed behind the seats. (this area is low 5'6" or so).

The upper deck is accessed via stairs on the passenger side from the front, and from stairs near the middle on the passenger side.

There is a galley area, with 6' head room on the lower deck, near the rear wheels, the galley had a door and could be used to load, there were 2 small toilets it that rear stair area... to tight to use if your not real skinny!

Overall height was 13'3", length was 50', width 8'6" + 2'3" for the mirrors.

The Volvo diesel could push that beast down the road at 128 mph, you could raise and lower (kneel) the suspension, and running on a smooth road you could run it on cruise... about an inch and a half of suspension movement, at 128 mph you could get nearly 3.6 miles to the gallon, 12 stage electromagnetic retarder.

This sort of coach would make a great RV in my book, but I would turn the galley and the luggage area ahead of it into cubical bunks and a two shower unit for the kids / guests. Change out the small toilets to more human sized ones, put a large full bath over the twin rear axles, master bedroom behind that, then use the area round the rear stairs as a kitchen area, then have a dinnette  or two, then a seating area / lounge , with captains chairs and tables for tying the kids in while travelling.

As a coach we had a couple of camera's for checking on the passenger areas, but reversing did not have a camera!

These coaches were around a million dollars in the late 80's, I'd hate to have to buy one now. But if I could buy one, it would make a fabulous RV after conversion. ;)

Actually there is such thing as a pop up or slide up.
Check out these BAD BOYS they're called UNICATS...... one word.....AWESOME!!!!!!

http://www.unicatamericas.com/photos.html

http://www.unicatamericas.com/images/photos/unimogu5000/EX45HD-UnimogU5000.a4-560.jpg

Attachments

• EX45HD-UnimogU5000.a4-560.jpg
    EX45HD-UnimogU5000.a4-560.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom