Questions about full time living.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robthreedee

Hello Everybody.  Rob here.  We're looking for as much input, advice, direction and information as we possibly can get on fulltiming.

This seems like a good place to start and I hope I don't bore ya to tears...I'll keep it short as possible. :) 

My wife and I are considering fulltime RVing for the next 10 years or so.  She's in the Army and we move around alot so we're thinking this might be a good idea.  If only it was that simple.  Here's some details and background.

We're definantly looking at a bus/diesel pusher...as big as we can get and spending in the 200k range.  We have two horses, 5 dogs, and 4 cats.  (only one inside animal, all the rest stay out), no children, don't get on each others nerves and such.

So here's my questions.  And please adrres anything I haven't asked.

1.  What are the biggest pros and cons to this idea?

2.  What would be the best course of action for finding land to park on?  (for the horses and dogs)

3.  Are there any RV type parks that cater to horse people?

4.  I understand getting a mortgage on the RV, what about taxes and all. 

Thanks for all your kindness and consideration,

Rob

I recommend you read the articles in our Forum library on fulltiming, they will answer some, if not most, of your questions.  If you then have more specific questions, please post them here.

The only campground that I recall that has facilities specifically for horses is the Kentucky Horse Farm, but I'm sure there are others.  We have a few horse people here than can better address that question.

Here is an RV Park that caters to horse owners.  We are not horse owners, but stayed there a week last February.  Seemed to be a very nice place.

http://horspitality.com/default.aspx

Paul

I have horses and we have stayed in several campgrounds that have stalls and facilities for horses, along with trails to ride; however that has been in the So.California area.  I have family in Ohio and Indiana and there are horse campgrounds there too.  Land Between the Lakes is one campground; the other I know about is Brown County; both are in Indiana.  I can't recall the names of the Ohio campgrounds.  One thing you might do is an internet search for each state identifying horsecamping.  That should bring up a selection.  An organization that has a lot of horse activity is the BackCountry Horsemen of America.  They are very aware of horsecamping in the individual states.  They may be able to provide campgrounds with horse facilities. 

One thing you might run into is if you are not camping with the horses, many of the campgrounds have restrictions on how many dogs you can have with you.  If you say yours are all outdoors, that could be a problem.  Usually horse campgrounds don't have that type of restriction.

Marsha~

Welcome to the forum!  We've been full time with three dogs and thought that was a challenge, but I have to take my hat off to you for what you're considering.  As Marsha says, there are some parks which cater to horse owners.  We haven't really looked for them but have come across one in Oregon and another in Gettysburg.  Also as Marsha pointed out, the five dogs might present more of a challenge than the horses when looking for RV parks.  You might have luck advertising in Craig's List for a place to park on a local farm if you can find something with suitable facilities available.

Not sure about your question on taxes.  If you're speaking of sales tax on the purchase of a rig... it really depends on where you purchase it.  States like California or Arizona will charge you nearly 10% in tax on the purchase.  That's a big bite on a $200K purchase.  Check local laws but some states will even hit you for tax if you buy a rig somewhere else and then bring it into their state withing a given period of time.

Many people have used a LLC arrangement, usually in Montana, to purchase their rigs and avoid the taxes involved.  While these arrangements can have some potential pitfalls for some users... your situation might fit it well.

Are you planning to live without the use of a car or will you drive two vehicles or tripple tow?

Rick

Thanks again for the responses...so very helpful.  I did find the tax answers I needed....it's just like taxes on a vehicle....  we are moving due to military service, and will prob be doing it again in two years.  The horses can be boarded so the real problem is the dogs.  I think this idea will work....  Just working out the details....  :)

You also can Google RV Park Horse or Horse RV Parks and that will be a start for you.  We've stayed at a couple but we're not horse people so I don't even remember where they are now.

ArdraF

I'm retired Air Force. Some of the bases I was stationed at had stables. A lot of bases also have "FamCamps". Some allow long term stays and some don't.

Here is a web site that lists all the military campgrounds.

Thanks again everyone!!!  I don't mind sharing cause we aren't the kind of people that know everything and really listen when someone tells us something....anyway....  here's where we're at in the decision making process.  and please bestow your opinions....:)

Since we hate renting (it's like giving your money away), and the next 5 years will involve 2 or 3 moves and we don't want to use all our VA benifits etc (another story) we've decided this as one course of action;  purchase a big ass motorhome, (we've found quite a few that exceeds our needs for way less than 200k), purchase a small plot of land where we're going with utilities and sewer.  Have an estate sale and pretty much sell everything we own, and hit the road, so to speak.  Make small improvements on the property we'd have to make anyway because of the animals and go from there.

Does this sound crazy or what?  I'm still researching long term "motorhoming" but what I've read so far it's a good way of life and not strange at all. 

Looking forward to your responses.  :)  Rob

I'm a little confused on the plan Rob.  If you buy a plot of land to live in the MH on how will that strategy support moving 2 or 3 times in the next 5 years?

Rick

Good point.  The move would be back and forth from there.....forgot to mention that.  :)

We also are considering the plot of land with connections option as a homebase. There's a couple scenarios that I can envision with that, so some here may not be on the same page:
scenario 1: have your home base plot of land with connections that you basically are living on with your MH (akin to a mobile home trailer so to speak) for most of the time, maybe a traditional non-commuting job even, but always with the ability to break free for the weekend or vacation etc.

scenario 2: home base with connections that you can come back to from time to time as you wish.   

Seems like you're looking at scenario 2 with your military life (and props&prayers to you for your service).  My family is kind of considering either option equally, being dependent on what work income we get (whether more traditional, or truly mobile/telecommuting). 

Please remember that campgrounds will not let your dogs roam free.  They require them to be on leashes and not left outside.  Other than that you are on your way to a very enjoyable future.

Have you read the Fulltiming 101 article in our library?

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

We are so doing this.  Jeez, it's more and more of a reality every day..LOL  esp tomorrow when I pick up our new "home"....     

Keep us updated Rob on the adventure.  :)
I'm particularly interested in tips/advice if you choose the homebase approach to FTRVing as you had mentioned doing.

zoemorn said:
Keep us updated Rob on the adventure.  :)
I'm particularly interested in tips/advice if you choose the homebase approach to FTRVing as you had mentioned doing.

will do....i may even blog it.  if i can figure out how to blog.  LOL

Back
Top Bottom