roadtrek adventurous vs. agile: can you REALLY parallel park the agile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riabreed011

:-\

hi there, folks.  looking for some advice on a subject well gnawed-on by some of you already, i suspect.

I'm in the market for a used B class and have pretty much narrowed it down to the RTs.  For the life of me, I can't decide between bigger interior space or ??? smaller length.  So what I'm wondering is:

a. can you actually parallel park the agile in typical urban parking places?  and not the adventurous?

b.  how did the rest of you out there who have struggled with this question decide?  and how do you feel about the decision you made, assuming that you've lived with it for a moment?

all thanks for any thoughts!

A typical sized urban parking space is 9'x18'.  Some municipalities allow smaller, but not much.  A few require the length to be 19' or 20', but again not many.

Typically we DO NOT parallel park our van + rear storage boxes + bike rack.  Maybe overall 23'.  If we see a end spot we can pull into or back into and there is enough length in the stall we will use it.  More often we park in parking lots (grocery store, etc) where we can take up two spots and get over in a corner away from most the cars.  The areas were you see the A's and C's parking. 

I have parallel parked my 27 foot class A many times. No problem. Just take up two spaces. If there are meters then pay both meters.

I have the RT Adventurous and like to find a parking place that I can back into and let the back end of the coach over ride the curb, and when the rear wheels get to the curb you are actually not sticking off anymore than a standard size car next to you.  the only reason I can see to get the larger unit is to take passengers with you...kids, grandkids, neighbors, etc.   

We've parked our Roadtrek Adventurous in many parking lots, have taken tight corners without issue, and have parallel parked on occasion, although not often. When parked at a shopping center it isn't much longer then many pickup trucks (full tonne with hitches). Check out our site which is being updated all the time.
Edit: Link moved to sig line.

Check out our site which is being updated all the time.

Tried to leave a comment on your website.  Got an "invalid" note.  Will try again.  Looking forward to seeing more on it.  We've had our RT Adventurous just over a year now.  Like it more every trip.
Edit: Fixed quote tag.

Hi Doug, the contact us should open your default email program. I will soon change it to a form. Thanks for visiting.

Sprinter vans aren't much wider than most cars. That makes parallel parking easy, thanks to the big rear view mirrors that let you see the curb as you park. It helps to have your partner tell you when to stop before backing into something.

Certainly if you are inclined and have the skills/confidence to parallel park the Class B Sprinter it can be done. I have no problem doing it but it takes more than one ?normal? size space. My Winnebago ERA is 24 feet long.

The other thing I have to be aware of are the fixed running boards on the passenger side of the vehicle. They are fairly low and if you aren?t paying attention it would be easy to scrape them on a high curb. Worse yet ? rip them off!! You don?t want to get too close to the curb. A backup camera also helps but don?t rely on it 100%.

In other words ? when possible I would prefer to pull in to a street spot. I have no problem parking in convenience store parking lots and even driving through a Tim Hortons drive-thru window. Just makes sure they don?t have a height restriction barrier. Mine is 9?11?.

As others have mentioned it is desirable to back into a spot so that you can pull out. I find it easier to check the surrounding area I am backing into first as opposed to trying to back out blind ? especially in tighter spots.

Unlike Oldedit ? I travel alone most of the time and have to rely on my own devices to avoid hitting anything. LOL

With enough practice, anything can be parallel parked!  Including a 37' 5Ver and TV that add up to rough guess.... Over 50' !  ;)  Interstate rest stops can be pretty full sometimes!

Just went to a dealer in Ohio to check out all of their Roadtreks they have. I comprared the adventurous to the agile when I was there and also some of the other smaller models. I think the big difference between the two, Agiles have a smaller bathroom with a pull out sink. The bathroom is tight but useable. Also the agile only sleeps two or three at one time. The Adventurous had more room in the bathroom and a sink that was in a fixed position. Also could sleep three to four depending on whether you had the optional cloths closet or not.

While I would consider either one to buy, there might be advantage to buying the adventurous for only 3 foot longer RV. Both have diesel engines and pretty much the same features. Also looked at airstreams they had which were similar in looks and floor plan. I am pretty sure both would be something you can park fairly easily base on my observations but not driving them.

Back
Top Bottom