Help Me Pick A Towing Brake System? TOTAL NEWBIE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouma

Hi, my husband and I just purchased a used 1991 Jayco Eago 30' Travel Trailer (although older it's much nicer than a lot of the new ones I saw, so we went with it).  We have a 2001 Ford Expedition that we will be using to tow it.  Before we can pick up the trailer, the dealer said we have to get a towing brake system.  The brakes are all really reasonable.  The guy says they have manual brake systems from Brakebuddy, and that is what he is recommending, feeling that the more expensive version just isn't worth it.  My husband is worried that we will get what we paid for...  He mentioned some different names and brands, and we are going tomorrow afternoon to get brakes installed, but I just don't know what kind to purchase.  He said (I think) he has time release or inertia brake systems.  I asked about proportional, but it didn't sound like he had those, and I apologize if I am getting terms incorrect.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what a newbie would need to haul the above travel trailer.  I understand the trailer is like 6600 dry weight.  We want to create some good memories for our kids-live in WA State, and we are going to Yellowstone this summer, so about 500 miles away and want to keep our children safe while traveling through mountain passes.  Thanks a bunch!

Barb

My RV is a Motorhome, but I have owned a travel trailer and then a 5th wheel - so maybe can help a little with the terminology.

Both your truck and new used TT already have brakes, so that is not what you are having installed. You will need to apply and "control" the brakes on your TT as you press the brakes in your truck. So what you are having installed is a Brake Control System.

Yes, there are many systems out there and I don't have the expertise to suggest one over the other - but am sure someone that pulls a TT will give you suggestions.

And good luck with your newly purchased TT!! Sounds like you are in for some great travels this summer . . .  :)

Thank you both so much for giving some advice on the brake control system.  We took your advice!  The gentleman doing the install didn't have the Tekonsha brand, but he said he would install it for us, so... we ran up the street to purchase it for $120, and he charged us labor of $40 to install.  We got the Tekonsha Primus IQ, and I am so glad I joined the RV Forum.  I am looking forward to learning so much from you all  :-*

You are AWESOME!!!

Barb

Very much so (thanks to the two of you for replying :) )
I have another question that I will be asking on the towing weight, and I hope if either of you have input that you may be able to help with that, too.

Hope you both have a wonderful weekend!

Barb

Back
Top Bottom