Oil Lease Property - Gate Guards ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razu13612

UP State NY, Headwaters of the St Lawrence River
While surfing, I stumbled upon a "blog" written by a fella that does "gate guard" duty for an oil company.  While the description of his job may not necessarily be the same for all instances, I was just wondering if any "full timers" are taking advantage of this option rather than work-kamping at RV parks.  The pay for "gate guard" duty (for those wishing to augment their monthly income)  is much better than working for FHU, although there are drawbacks. 

Someone here I think, GeoDrake?  did this last summer.  Lots of other ways to workcamp that have to be way better job.  From what I read about it, one always has to be there, so going to town together just doesn't work. 

A good thing is you are in the wide open, easy work, albeit kind of monotonous it would seem.  I don't like being tied to a spot like that. 

Besides, if it all comes down to the worst, do you want to be the first line of defense?

When the subject of oilfield gate guards comes up, you will generally get a page or two  of negative responses.  98% of the responses will be from people who have never done the job.

The ones that are actually working are reticent to post because of that negative response.

Lotza negatives, a few positives that I can find............ My original thoughts were something in the Colorado/Wyoming areas, late spring through early Fall.  I did read somewhere that North Dakota also had a few spots.  But from what I read currently, most of the locations are Texas or Oklahoma.  And lots around Del Rio and San Antonio.  No Thanks !!!!!!  Dusty, windy, hot, and did I mention dusty and hot.  Now, something in the Colorado or Wyoming area might just perk my interests for a short stint!!!!!  I think that I would have a difficult time convincing the DW !!!!

Guard duty is probably a good way to earn real money, but not such a good way to RV. In short, it's a job. You get paid well to do it, because nobody would volunteer just for fun or location.

The nicer workamp positions/locations don't pay at all - just being there and getting a free site is pay enough.

So, you have to make a choice.

We have close friends that were gate guards in TX near Laredo last summer and are there now doing it again. They like it and it is a nice supplement to their income. It allows them to build up the kitty so they can afford to go back east and visit family.
I believe they get paid $125 per day and all utilities are furnished - a 7 KW generator + fuel, water delivered and a honey wagon pump-out each week.
Of course they have to pay self employment tax and income tax on the income.

One of them has to be awake and there 24/7 so they set up shifts.

It's sure not something I would want to do but it suits them.

Exactly why it would not be much fun for us. 

Clay L said:

It's sure not something I would want to do but it suits them.

Not exactly true in all cases.  Each gate's rules are dependent on how that company man wants his gate handled.  Some close the gate from 8pm to 6am.  Some close the gate on weekends.  On some gates you log every vehicle, on some you just log the unmarked vehicles.

While it is true that most base pay is in the $100 to $125.00 range, the busier gates will pay more....  much more.

While there are numerous opportunities in the Eagle Ford Shale field in South Texas, the Barnett Shale stretches form just south of Ft Worth all the way north to the Red River.

PancakeBill said:
Besides, if it all comes down to the worst, do you want to be the first line of defense?

I really do not understand this statement.  What exactly do you mean?

We have oil prices skyrocketing, we have illegal aliens swarming across the borders, and who knows who else.  We have economic issues, the dollar is hurting, can you see a scenario where some part of this could create violence towards an oil facility?  An here you are, the first line of defense at the gate.  The old saying the Barnarians are at the gate, and here you are defending it. 

That is what I am talking about. 

As to the pay, would that be each or the job?  A 24 hour day paying 125 isn't very much. 

PancakeBill said:

We have oil prices skyrocketing, we have illegal aliens swarming across the borders, and who knows who else.  We have economic issues, the dollar is hurting, can you see a scenario where some part of this could create violence towards an oil facility?  An here you are, the first line of defense at the gate.  The old saying the Barnarians are at the gate, and here you are defending it. 

That is what I am talking about. 

As to the pay, would that be each or the job?  A 24 hour day paying 125 isn't very much.

Oilfield gate guards don't defend anything. 

... and I am done.  This thread has gone the way of all others on this subject.  That is the reason there is little info on this opportunity for the folks that are seriously considering it.

OK Andy you can be done.  For others.  If you are at a gate and you are a guard, what are you when someone comes with intent to enter, and they aren't supposed to?  Just take their number, wish them a good day?  I guess the job description is just not understood, and that is why nobody wants these jobs.

My question on pay, I think valid.  If it is each, not bad, if a couple just average.  In the Park bookshops, for an 8 hour day for the two of us, the pay is more than the 100 - 125 figures, you have time off and are in a nicer situation. 

As I have said, from the meager description of locale, pay, duties, hours, days etc.  wouldn't be much of a draw for us.  However, as great grand daddy used to say, for ever butt, there is a seat.  For now, this butt won't be looking for that seat.

My curiosity in all this is what exactly is this job, and is it more than the short descriptions we have read. 

PancakeBill said:
Someone here I think, GeoDrake?  did this last summer.

Not us.  With the exception of a Nature Conservancy gig a couple of years ago we have only done campground hosting.  The Nature Conservancy gig involved running the visitor center.

I suppose if you don't worry about being able to go out together, and it is just sitting around and checing folks in, it is easy money.  However our job in the bookstore, between us pays more, way more interesting, and at a beautiful place.  To each his own I guess. 

If you calculate 24 hours a day which is what has to be covered, the pay is pretty low. 

Necro-posting because the traffic from this  link continues...

Due to increased interest in oil field gate guard jobs, you can visit my blog in my signature for more information including contact info for the various companies.

I also just started an online forum with a focus on oilfield gate guarding at this link:

Edit: Link moved to signature line.

Thanks for moving the link Tom -it belongs there rightfully.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom