On the Road Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I live in my motorhome fulltime. I've been parked in this RV park for 9 weeks, way too long for me. The engine needs exercising, so why not change out the front yard too.  ;D

I'll be posting here or on my blog at http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Recently someone asked me if I traveled much, I realized I only got on the road the end of March 2010.  However, when I was looking over the map, I realized I had traveled 17 states from late March through November. December through now, I've been in Florida thawing out, having a blast and been in only about 5 campgrounds since then.

I'm excited to get on the road again. Yippee! 

My puppy joined me last May, and he has done 17 states too.  He even went to Niagara Falls and had his picture taken there.  It was his first time out in mega crowds, but he did really well.

We mostly travel alone, just me and him, but now and then, a friend hops aboard for a trip, often taking a one way ticket home, as I rarely do round trips.

I don't tow a toad, so I just stop and sightsee along the way, as it strikes my fancy. I often get lost, since puppy doesn't read maps. But the adventure, of getting lost, then ending up in a different place, has been wonderful so far. I've found some really cool campgrounds along the way, because I was too hard headed to back track, once I was lost, I often just forged ahead and found another campground.

This trip I am pretending to be organized. Ha ha ha!  I don't have GPS or a backup camera, but somehow I manage to have tons of fun. I've learned to backup into the strangest spots. When you arrive with no reservations, you have to take the leftovers. no problem with me.

A far cry from my very first campground where I asked the host for a pull-through spot, because I was new at this, and I was surcharged for that luxury. I've only had one or two pull-through spots since.

Sometimes I ended up in fabulous camping spots.  Recently I showed up at a county owned park, was chatting up the ranger, he assigned me a HUGE campspot for my little motorhome.  Much larger RV's  in smaller spots, were looking at me with their jaws dropped, I have no idea why he gave me such a generous spot, but puppy and I had plenty of room to lay out a super long tether, then play ball.

I've been cleaning and organizing, I am so excited to be hitting the road again. Yippee!  I keep making garbage, I don't know how that happens, maybe I don't want to be a pack rat, yet when you live in one fulltime like me, you carry it all with you, but all isn't that much.  Still, I find junk I don't need, or stuff to re-gift because it's useful, just not useful to me anymore.

I wuv my puppy and we both wuv our wittle wheel estate.   ;D

I hate you  ;D

Also envy you and pup. Wish we could tag along, I think the trip would be wonderful.
Have fun and stay safe.

I think owning an old simple Class C, has encouraged me to travel more.  I can tidy up in about ten or fifteen minutes and hit the road. I just love that!

When I had my sailboat, I kept it ready to sail on a moment's notice too, it was total freedom, to just decide to be somewhere else and 10-15 minutes later, to be underway. 

Now the puppy slows me down a little, he needs  a final walk and wants to see his old buddies.  He saw me picking up all his outdoor toys, and tethers, he gave me a sort of sad look. Then he watched me fold up the outdoor rug, now he knew, I wasn't just doing housekeeping.

After his final walk though, he enthusiastically hopped into his special seat, and waited for me to hook up his safety harness.  He goes from sad to happy pretty quickly.

I just wish he could read maps. We got lost again, on day two...

More of my current travels at :

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Have you jumped on the GPS wagon yet?  If not, suck it up and get one!  Not to say it won't get you lost, but sure gets you out if situations.  Going thru ST Louis a coule years ago, we misseed our split and had to get back to highway, the GPS did a great job getting us back on track.  Not that II wouldn't have been abble to do it myself, but sure made it easier, especially in the area I had to get off at. 

Our Koda loves travel, he is ready at a moments notice.  With work camping in a place 5 months, takes more than a few minutes to get rady now. 

I just got one of those GPS units that is supposed to get you into the right lane. Hope to try it out in St. Louis in June. Going west doesn't seem to be a problem for me in ST. Louis but coming back east seems to get me.

Have fun ! I hope one day to just get up and hit the highway. I have about 15 more years to put in first :'(

One that does the lane changing thingie?  Oh I would love that, I can never decide if I need to be right or left and trying to get over sometimes puts my heart in my mouth.

I have to tell Tom, he LOVES gadgets.  Some brand names please?

Hey Miss Mermaid, glad to see you are out there putting around still. 

I want to go, but hubby is home and I hate to leave him.  He doesn't mind, he is a good guy, he says he just has to much to do being gone so long.  He said if he gets caught up he will go sometimes.  It's a bit hard with the 3 of us.  A motorhome is really only designed for 2 unless you have one of the huge ones. But I think we need to take daughter, can't just leave her hanging out alone at home by herself. ;)

Carolyn,

Our Garmin Nuvi 5000 gives lots of audible warning about changing lanes.  For example it will say about a freeway exit, "Exit right and then stay left."  That is good when the exit splits with two ways to go.  Also, when nearing a destination it gives about a mile warning on right or left.  I love it!

ArdraF

GPS is on my wish list, but it's so far down there, what with more urgent things ahead of it, none of it getting done as emergencies keep popping up.  I've spent the past year recuperating, traveling, working part time and thrilled to death *pun?*  I didn't die, but lived to see another day.

So for those of you with the newer GPS's, please send me your OLD GPS!  I can get along great with old technology!  Email me and I will send you my  address.  ;D

I am working part-time as I travel,healing fulltime,  but the income is tiny to small and erratic. I did workcamping in November-December for a family of 3 adults, 2 were partially disabled. That situation  had great benefits, but the government changed their laws, and POOF my provided campspot was no longer allowed. Nothing worse than trying to find workcamping at Christmas in Florida...

I ended up in a mobile park for 9 weeks, applying for workcamping all over creation, figuring up milage and expenses to get there, where ever" there" happened to be.

On my current trip, I am on my way to another workcamping, this time as Park Host for a non-campground.  They have provided me a campsot though.  I am trying to squeeze in a little trip on a budget to enjoy before I settle in the situation,  for the season.

Still looking for a workcamping situation for next winter in Florida.  My little old RV isn't built for brutal winters, the dog and I get c-c-cold so easy too.  I'm used to the islands, the dog is 6 pounds of fun, but anything below 72F and he gets cold. I had no idea small dogs required a wardrobe.  I always had big dogs before this bit of fluff landed in my wheel estate. 

I put some pics on my blog.  If anyone's on a budget, follow me, I have found ways to cut costs left and right, yet still manage to live in my wheel estate, travel, move around, have a blast!  I love nature, and it's free.

Well, the puppy and I are going for a walk now. All I hear right now is the birds chirping for us to come out.  :)

Oh yeah, don't forget the GPS!  Thank you! 8)

Considering the weather this past winter, you'd be better off looking for a workcamping gig in Arizona rather than Florida, it was a heck of a lot warmer !

Wendy
Cortez Coloraod

I read somewhere about gateguards for oil companies out where they are drilling or where they pick up oil.  I guess you need 2 people as they are 24/7.  But they said it was pretty good money, may not want to do it all the time but might help put some money in the bank.

They said they supply a generator, fuel, water, and dump your tanks, and the propane.  I know there is just you, but maybe someone else could do it and you trade off. I will try to find where I bookmarked it. Is anyone else familiar with this.  Come to think about it, maybe I read about it on this forum.

Try Big Bend NP association.  Southern TX, so weather ought to be good.  You usually get campsite at free to low cost and paid for all hours.  Work in a visitor center, in a bookstore environment.  Last year they had an issue with prividing campsites for workers because of a construction project. 

I would love to go west for the winter, but my fuel tank insists on that pricey stuff... Florida might be all I can afford.

Since I am volunteering where I am going now, no funding to help with the fuel tank. But hey, camping on 10 acres alone, can't be all that bad. I was in a "sardine" park the 9 weeks in Titusville, so I look forward to spreading out with nature, soaking up some privacy too...

Being single has not made workcamping any easier. Many of the jobs are for couples only. Some want a picture of your rig and your face, as part of the consideration, which makes you wonder. 

I need the workcamping, but I compete against folks that don't need it, just want something to do. I have plenty to do without the workcamping, but at least being able to volunteer and earn a free site with utilities is a major plus for my minuscule budget.

I have fallen in love with RVing.  A friend was poking fun at me for taking this workcamping "sight unseen".  I said well, that's all part of the adventure! 

A year ago, I was so scared, gripping the wheel, too timid to backup at my first RV park, so I paid extra for a pullthrough and had all these mega rigs looking down on me and my tiny rig, like I didn't belong there. But now I drive and backup with complete confidence. Since I often arrive at campgrounds with no reservations, I often have to take the less desirable spots, but it's been a great challenge.

The dog gets bewildered, when I stop and get out 5 times to check where I'm going and where I want to be. I always end up with the rig exactly where I want it, even if does take several tries to get there. Meanwhile puppy is enthusiastically jumping up and down, his little tail about to fall right off from wagging it so rapidly, while I am meandering around the camp lot, trying to get my rig just so.

Life is good!  I'm alive, the sun is up, the puppy is almost awake. He sleeps 1-2 hours more, after I get up. Little sissy...

Recently he discovered that gusty winds pick up the dead leaves and move them around. He runs away scared, wondering how the forest could just pick up and move like that!  He walked into a ditch full of leaves, it caught him off guard, all I could see was his one ear sticking out, while he thrashed around trying to escape.  He provides endless entertainment and makes me laugh several times a day.

Recently three big dogs were visiting us with their pet parents. Two were lounging while the other one o was playing with my dog's  favorite toy. He was looking worried, when he suddenly figured out how to get his toy back. He ran over to the dog's owner, leaped up in her lap and began giving her kisses and attention. Naturally, her dog dropped the toy, to run over and make sure he was in favor with his owner too. Harley then leaped out of her lap, ran over and snatched up the toy. I about fell out of my chair laughing! 

Later he picked up the same toy, brought it over to the big dog and dropped it at his feet, as if to say, "Here, you can play with it too!"

MissMermaid, I must say that I am so envious of your travels and carefree lifestyle, but am also happy that you can do what makes you and puppy happy.  So many don't have that choice.  Hubby and I travel the US in our 18 wheeler and see much of this great country with our Trucking Puppies, however, there is still so much that we don't get to see or do.  Looking forward to our semi-retirement in 5 years (retirement from trucking, but unfortunately, not from working).  Planning to pack the truck camper and boat and spend atleast 6 months exploring all the places we are unable to go in our big rig  :)  After that, it'll be back to reality and work.

Happy trails and ENJOY!

Miss Mermaid,

You've come a long way in the last year!  I remember your "getting started" posts.  It sounds like puppy was a good investment even if he does require his own wardrobe!  ;)  Sounds like he's smart too to be able to figure out how to get his toy back from the other dog.  I'm glad you're feeling better now.  Enjoy your roaming.

ArdraF

1GypsyRose said:
MissMermaid, I must say that I am so envious of your travels and carefree lifestyle, but am also happy that you can do what makes you and puppy happy.  So many don't have that choice. Hubby and I travel the US in our 18 wheeler and see much of this great country with our Trucking Puppies, however, there is still so much that we don't get to see or do.  Looking forward to our semi-retirement in 5 years (retirement from trucking, but unfortunately, not from working).  Planning to pack the truck camper and boat and spend atleast 6 months exploring all the places we are unable to go in our big rig  :)  After that, it'll be back to reality and work.

Happy trails and ENJOY!

Everyone has a CHOICE!

Less than two years ago, I was living overseas in a nice home, with a profitable business, completely debt free with savings tucked away and a new book on the market. Life was very good, I was happy. One day my whole life went upside down, I woke up in ICU in a far flung hospital overseas.  I signed away all my -0- credit cards for treatments while heavily drugged and woke up to a nightmare of tubes, wires, masks, needles, machines and doctors murmuring over my bed as if I couldn't even hear their dreadful predictions. A month later, I was dumped  home, it had been vandalized, my business plundered and I had the energy of a sleepy turtle, 17 medications to live and die by, with a very short expected life span. I was told to get my affairs in order.

I had weekly appointments back at the hospital. I went one time then MADE A CHOICE. I didn't go back. I did endless hours of research, I wanted A CHOICE.

While still in a fog, I made a choice, I sold and gave away everything, moved to America, slept in an easy chair, at a friend's house, because I couldn't lay down.  I looked high and low, bought an old used motorhome to spend my final days in. I was too sick to travel, parked in a friend's driveway, but I woke up every morning DREAMING of an RV lifestyle.  Everyone thought me mad, and I didn't care, I was struggling so hard to live.

I ran out of funds (savings gone, credit cards run up sky high) for medical care and drugs, sought out alternative methods, then one day after about three months of sitting in their driveway, trying to get strong,  I woke up feeling feisty. I  got a check in the mail for some work I had done. I drank a pot of coffee then hit the road for 2 days to go see old friends that begged me to come visit.  I was so exhausted, I slept for nearly 26 hours after my arrival. I could hardly walk for days afterwards, was goofy as ever from my past illness and injuries,  but I had put 600 miles on my motorhome and I was in a new place. It was warm.  I was the luckiest person alive.

A few weeks later, I traveled some again, rested some more. I looked for freelance work all over creation to buy gas, to buy food.  I learned 10 different ways to stretch a dollar. I learned how to make dried beans 50  ways, because meat was slashed from the budget and so on.

Sure most folks wait until they can afford a grand rig and have a huge financial cushion to travel on.

I hope to have all that too, one day.

But in the interim, I am having an absolute blast.  I rescued my silly puppy from dire circumstances,  so I would have a walking companion. At first he wouldn't take to the leash, and I could barely walk.  We made quite a hilarious  pair, me creeping along trying not to fall over or pass out, carrying this tiny puppy who wouldn't walk on a leash. 

Everyone has a choice. This is America, the choices are endless!

I still do freelance work, I scrape up payments for my credit card medical nightmare, I do without many things,  and I still have occasional relapses, that knock me off my feet, making me pray for one more hour, one more day,  but I am just enjoying life each and every day.

I learned to quit whining and pining for what I don't have, and enjoy what I do have.

I am now, just this week,  volunteering for the government, in a workcamping situation where they provide a campspot for me.  I spent months and tons of time, applying for workcamping, to even find this situation and be chosen for it. Most are for couples only, but angels looked out for me, and well, here I am, alive and breathing!

I am trying to dig up freelance work to keep the banks happy.  As I type this, on an old used laptop,  a pot of dried beans is in my little crockpot and my tiny dog is snuggled up next to me. Life is good.  I don't know if or when the money will appear for the next tank of gas or sack of food, but somehow I have faith, it will.

In the past year, many friends have helped me out, I am eternally grateful and one day, all will be well again, and I'll return the favors.

I feel like calling up my old doctors, next Monday, on my birthday and telling them, hey guess what!  I'm still alive!  I threw away your drugs, I saw 17 or 18 states this past year, and I'm having a ball!  ;D

They chose one life for me, but I chose another.

Miss Mermaid,

There's a country song that has the following line:  Live like you were dying.  I think you exemplify that line.  I've enjoyed following along with your new life and wish you the best.

ArdraF

Miss Mrmaid. I knew you dropped the boat living etc, but had no idea of the health issues.  Great courageous choice you made there, and I applaud you.

Hang in there, continue to have fun and make the most of all of it.

Bill & Jolene

Sounds like you are doing very well under the circumstances.  I know my life certainly isn't what I planned after DD's problems have intensified and after dealing with mom's last years for many a year.

I was bitter and angry for a long time, why me, woe is me. I have health issues also, nothing life threatening like you but quality of life issues as my doc says.  But one day I read a simple statement that said "You can be as happy as you want to be" and that stuck.  I try to remember that each and everyday. 

I think you can be an inspiration to many people, keep going, you will be ok.

Hey I read about the small washer you are talking about, sounds neat.  You said 18 X 18 X 30.  I have a spot it could go but we would have to remove the vanity or move it up as its not 30 high.  I'm interested in it and am hoping I can find someway to slip one in the motorhome and the price is definitely right.

Good luck, hope the summer finds you some paying gigs so you can improve your life even more.  And hi to puppy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom