2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD & fifth wheel compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dewsx2

I am looking to purchase a fifth wheel and am looking for any advice on weight limits.    My 2002 Silverado 2500HD has a 6.6 diesel and 3.73 gears.  I have pulled my 30' TT with no problem, but want to trade to a fifthwheel- what can I safely haul?  concerned about pin weight also and want to stay within safe limits for safety and control.. I do intend to travel the west in a few years ...

thanks!

Welcome to the RV Forum, dewsx2.

You can view the 2002 Trailer Life Tow Ratings here:
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Basically you are looking at two numbers: (1) The trailer GVWR`vs the rated tow capacity of the truck, and (2) the payload capacity of the truck vs the trailer pin (hitch) weight. Your truck has to be able to carry the actual pin weight and pull the actual gross trailer weight. Since you probably don't know tha actual loaded trailer weight when shopping, we use the trailer max loaded weight (GVWR) for estimating purposes.

The rule of thumb for trailer weight is to discount the truck's rated tow capacity by 10% and shop for a trailer whose GVWR is no more than that. If towing in the Rocky Mountains with a gas engine truck discount the tow capacity by 20%. The reason for the discount is to allow for additional weight carried in the truck (passengers and gear) and to give a bit of safety margin.

The 5W trailer pin weight will be about 20-22% of the actual loaded weight of the trailer. Once you fnd the truck's payload capacity, make sure the weight of passengers and gear + the trailer pin weight does not exceed that. This is typically the more restrictive number in half ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

Keep in mind that the tow guide should be just a guide.

You need to load your truck with fuel, passengers, hitch, etc. same as you would for a trip and then take the truck across the scales.  Compare that weight to your GVWR to see how much reserve capacity you have left.

You will have to get a trailer that doesn't cause your truck to be over it's gross vehicle weight rating and gross combined weight rating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom