anything else I should know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5n2mom

:) I ended up finding a truck very close to what I wanted, the camper I wanted both in my budget, but did not realize the camper would not go on the dually without modifing the jacks(I have extenders ordered)...so is there anything else super obvious I'm likely to miss in getting this camper on my truck? In tons of reading I only recall seeing ONE reference to jacks extenders but every dually must need them? Please help-I'm I'm trying to be informed but feel uncomfortable knowing  I may be missing the most basic stuff!

Yes, all duallys need exteders.  Many of the TC's in the larger size may already have them. 

What are you doing for tie downs?  Best bet is made by TorkLift,  Fast Guns.  I had Happi Jacs and then Fast Guns.  No comparison.  I had HappiJac anchors and TorkLift anchors.  Again, no comparison.  If you need to tow behind, TorkLift has the Super Hitch.  The anchors bolt right up. 

We had many wonderful years with TC's, (4 different TC's), loved them all.

The truck is a 1999 Chevy Siverado, the Camper a Lance LC 300 8.6 1988.. the camper was picked up/put in today-I don't know what the tie-downs are but I know I have them :-[... am embaressed to say... the truck already had them, with the little guide bumps at the back and "welded" (?) to the front it looks like HapiJac pictures but mabey they all look the same. Everyday I learn more of what I don't know-but onward we go! I'm really excited to start driving it-to get a feel for them together, I want to leave in just 5-6 weeks so I need a couple overnighters and to very comfortable driving with the camper on.

I had a truck camper on a dually.  The extenders are very simple and easy to put on; they actually swing out over the duallies so you can drive under the camper.  If I'm reading your message correctly you are getting a 1988 Lance Camper?  If so, it may  have a 3 way switch for the refrigerator: electric, propane and 12volt DC.  We had the same in our camper.  If you let the truck sit for more than a day and have the fridge on the 12volt setting it will run the camper battery down very quickly.  It also did not do a very good job of keeping the fridge cold.  The propane worked the best.

Another thing, be sure when they put the wiring in for the camper to plug into the truck so that the lights on the camper work, that they also install a one way swicth <diode> on the truck battery so that when the camper battery gets low, it will not deplete your truck battery leaving you stranded with a dead truck battery.  However the alternator for the truck should be wired to charge your camper battery.  Most shops that wire equipment know how to do this.

Have fun.  We had a ball with our truck camper; our kids have it now; but just bought a new trailer as their family grew and they needed more room.  In the summer the camper will go to a buddy who does guiding for flyfishing and hunting in Montana.

Marsha~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom