inflatable boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nastyt

Numerous times when we are camping there is a lake or river near by.  We obviously can not tow a boat with the trailer and I was thinking about one of those inflatable rafts or boats.  Anyone have any comments or suggestions?  Thanks.

My dad has had a pair of Buck's Bags inflatable one man pontoon boats for several years that he just loves to take out in the streams and even Cat 3-4 rapids in Idaho.  I haven't spent anytime on them but they look like a blast.  My step mom is very comfortable on her in a quiet stream or lake.

Jeff

My wife and I picked up the Advanced Elements kayak last year. The kayak has the ability to be a tandem kayak or convert for single use on days one of you prefers a book over exercise. :) Although a bit heavy in it's storage bag, we have otherwise found it to be a great solution for us as we just store it in the basement of the Class A. If kayaking isn't your thing, there are comparable quality boats that would be a good alternative.

Just an opinion mind you, however every inflatable i have ever owned or been in I have ended up sitting in water.  Not fun on a cool day.  Might consider a fold boat instead.  Folds up into a small package that can be mounted either under the RV or on the roof.  Insta boat our of Canada is even better IMHO.  All aluminum construction and stores in an even smaller package.

I had a SeaEagle SE8 http://www.seaeagle.com/motormountboats.aspx and loved it. Took about 20 mins. to set up. Folds up into a small package and easy to carry. I have used it in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida, in small streams and rivers.  Great little boat.

We also have the Advanced Elements tandem kayak and love it. Having recently been to a rally seminar on kayaks, and watching the people putting their hardside kayaks up on the roofs, we decided that we're very happy with the inflatable. It does take up a whole bay with the bag of extra goodies (PFDs, dry bags, paddles, etc.) but it's worth it. As for getting wet, we paid for the optional cover that keeps out most water (waves on windy days will still get in) and I also sit on a float seat that raises me up for easier paddling and also gets me out of any water on the floor.

Have fun.
Wendy

We've used a 10' Sea Eagle in a wide variety of places in the US, Alaska and Canada. It had the full floorboards and seats, including an improved rear platform a buddy & I made for it. Does a decent job with a small electric or gas motor (we prefer electric).  A friend got a Zodiac type (his was an Achilles) and we got rid of the Sea Eagle after that, but the Achilles was a larger and heavier and took longer to set up. A much more capable boat, though.

I have also owned a Port-A-Bote
folding boat and used it for a coupe years. That's another good solution for an RVer and can be carried (folded) on the RV roof,  in a side mount bracket (ugly) or on the roof of the toad. 

What's best all depends on what you are looking for

Thanks for all the responses.  The one I was looking at is an Intex Seahawk II.  It seems to have great reviews & still is pretty cheap...around $120 and comes with cheap oars etc.  Any opinions?  Anyone know anything about this brand?  Thanks again!

Last fall I purchased a Hobie inflatable sit on top kayak. It has the advantage of being propelled by your feet through a clever set of blades. Not a cheep option however, with  a 7 PSI pump its hard as a rock. Paddle or peddle its a fun way to fish take photos and have fun. As Wendy said takes a bay or I put in in the bed of our toad pickup. Funny when we sold the stick house I shed three kayaks and now buying more back. Guess I will just never learn.
Jim

I purchased a new 11' inflatable boat from Boats to Go about 10 years ago. I never got it into the water. I finally gave it to my son last year. I bought it from them when they were in NY, they are in Miami, FL now. Check out the site below.

http://www.boatstogo.com/

DO NOT PUT YOUR LIFE IN A CHEAP BOAT!!!! If your looking for a good all-around portable boat you want a 10 to 12' inflatable like an achillies or avon with an inflatable keel and floorboards with an 5 to 8HP outboard. I keep mine in the bag in the bed of the truck with the outboard and gas tank and floor panels, whe i want to use it i inflate it with the pump that takes about five minutes and toss it in the lake. The eight HP nissan is all the motor i need and gets it up on plane with two adults within two boatlengths,by the nature of the achillies desighn it's extremely stable and has seperate tubes to insure it's unsinkabity. When i first bought it i lived on the lake erie shore and decided to go to Put-In-Bay,32 NM across in it,i had 2-3' rollers but had terrific ride there and back without any worry or incident,i've used it for flyfishing,sight-seeing,last year i trolled for salmon off Goderich Ont. in lake huron and because of its size and portability it gives me the option to do whatever i want to when i want to. I bough a pair of removable wheels that mount to the transom and made a stainless handle/hitch that connects to my golf cart so i can run it down to lake Temagami for a little bass fishing,the whole thing wors great just remember two things,cheap boats and cheap lifejackets are a poor investment and the best bilge-pump is a scared crewmen and a bucket!!!

I have an inflatable pontoon boat from Creek Company that I use for Fly Fishing.  It weighs around 46lbs and inflates in about 5 minutes for both pontoons.  I have it in a bag in the back of the truck and a Husky compressor in the fiver front bay.  They both work great.

Ava,

Our Kayaks did not need  CF #s. One of our local lakes(ponds) requires a "Lake Registration Sticker" ~~ Could NOT get them to adhere to side of Kayak ~~ Made a water proof placard with sticker attached and hung it over the side at proper location.  Made the Rangers happy. Worked for us ~~ YMMV.

If you use a motor on the boat, it will need registration and numbers displayed. Each state has their own rules on boat registrations, but they all want motorized boats registered.

We don't have registration numbers on our kayak and we've paddled in Colorado, California, New Mexico and Arizona. However, at Cherry Creek State Park in Colorado, we were required to have our phone number in permanent ink somewhere on the boat.

Wendy

Ok ~ OK ~ Been talkin' about inflatables too long. 'Tis Spring.  Just ordered SeaEagle PaddleSki Pro (from SeaEagle -free shipping). Thanls to all.  ;D ;D ;D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom