2003 National RV Dolphin LX help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennarick2011

We placed a (refundable) deposit on a 2003 National RV Dolphin LX and we are wondering whether to buy it or not. It is beautiful on the inside-we are 100% satisfied with the interior. Since we have never owned an RV before, we are wondering how reliable this model is, as well as the 5 Speed Allison MH3000 Transmission. Its 455 lbs of torque, 340 Horsepower, 22000 ton chassis. 8.1 Chevy motor gets 12 miles per gallon in a 75 gallon max tank. There are 25,900 miles on it and we negotiated the price down to 39,900. It has a 55 Watt Onan generator, outdoor shower, washer/dryer combo, full size shower, seperate toilet, full size closet, queen size bed, white leather couch that pulls out into a bed as well as a white leather recliner.. 2 tvs.. No prior accidents that we are aware of, however it is a bank repoed vehicle so there was no paperwork included. Is this a good deal? Help!

I wouldn't be afraid of it.  You might check NADA (do not include options) to test the price. 

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2003/National-RV    and you can input the specs to find out the NADA value for it to compare to the asking price.

I didnt have much luck finding reviews of that year of National Dolphin rv's, sorry. Hopefully someone with some experience in or around one will chime in

We had a 2002 Dolphin LX with the same chassis. Had a number of teething problem with it, but once it got straightened out it was excellent, with a couple of exceptions I will explain.

(1) That Workhorse chassis has been the subject of multiple brake recalls on the Bosch brake system. Make sure the recall work has been done on that chassis. To relieve yourself of the hassle, I would insist that the dealer get it taken care of before you take possession. A call to Workhorse with the VIN should verify whether the final recall fix has been done on that coach. Or get it to a Workhorse service center and they can verify and inspect.

(2) The rig seemed colder and damper than our previous and subsequent coaches, even though insulation specs are good. We always felt the bedroom was cold and damp on chilly nights.

Other than that, we had a happy five years and 58k miles with ours, including a summer in Alaska. It performed well, handled decently and pretty consistently delivered 8 mpg. Never saw 12 mpg, or even 10. That 12 mpg is a just salesman's patter.

Mine had a Generac 5500 watt genset rather than an Onan. It always ran fine, though it used a bit of oil (about a quart a year).

Price sounds OK to me, assuming good condition. I would  not pay any more than that, though. That's all it is worth.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback! I checked NADA and it said the suggested list price is 122,430. The low retail price is 53,194. The averave retail is 64,077. Based on that information, I am confident that this is a good deal. My only issue at this point is whether I will regret purchasing an RV that takes gas instead of diesel fuel. Is this RV worth it? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom