SlideOut Toppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmotorsports

I had the stitching fail on our  bedroom slide Carefree Sideout Kover II last week on our trip.  I put the slide out and after hitting the end of travel I heard what sounded like a spring unwinding.  My wife let out a scream and when I got outside I noticed the awning had unwound and pulled away from the attachment rail.  I climbed up on a ladder and inspected it and it sure looks like the stitching failed and unwrapped from around the plastic rod which keeps it inside the attachment rail.

I noticed I have another topper that may be near the same point plus a small tear forming.  I have been looking at the newer ones offered by Carefree that have the awning totally enclosed in an aluminum enclosure and no material is exposed when the slide is in the travel position. 

Does anyone have this style of topper/awning on their coach that they would mind sharing their experience.  I beleive the Carefree model is a Sideout Kover III but I am sure there are other manufacturers as well.  Any feedback and/or opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike.

If it's just the stitching it can be repaired and re-installed. Or you can replace the fabric on your existing awnings.

I have the Slide Out Kover with no shield over the material. The newer one has a cover

Thanks for your replies.  I am waiting for a quote from my local dealer for three replacement toppers.  I am pricing the Carefree Sideout Kover III with the full-enclosure in black hardware with Beige acrylic material. 

Another reason I am looking to replace all three toppers is to prevent billowing while traveling in windy conditions.  I had two of the slide toppers billow out on my last year on two seperate trips.  It is a little un-nerving to roll-up and zip-tie the awnings on narrow two lane road with traffic while on a ladder. 

I know it is not going to be inexpensive but I would also like to update the look of the coach at the same time.  Mike.

Our slide out topper is pealing apart, and looks rather awful.  We only have a single slide and our local wonderful and amazing RV Shop has quoted me around $200 parts and labor out the door to replace the fabric, tighten and lube the mechanism and generally make the whole situation all better.  Camping World offered to replace the topper for almost $500, a similar quote was given by another local shop that recently did the brake recall on my Workhorse Chassis.  While replacing the whole topper housing to update the look of your rig is a valid thing to do.  I just cant afford it right now, or I should say I'd rather spend that money on gas to go see really cool stuff in the motorhome!

We are off to the Grand Canyon again this weekend. Hey Bill, see ya on Saturday!

Jeff

I had our slide topper fall apart due to rotted stitching. Had it repaired at a place that does boat covers, etc. Less expensive than buying new fabric. I also had them restitch all the window awnings which were also about to fail. The window awnings have a metal cover but, because I use them all the time, they deteriorate from exposure to the sun.

I had slide out toppers fail, cut them off and used the rig for the next 5 years with no problem.  I'm not a big believer in them.  There are some quality manufactures that won't put them on simply because they will wear out too quickly.  (they are lighter material than awning)  The rig won't leak, and the heat difference is unnoticable to me. (Fla)
Bob

Bob,

The main reason for a slide topper is to keep most debris from collecting on the slide top. If the slide is brought in with twigs and stuff it could damage the seals. They are not meant to prevent water collection or reduce any heat. :)

Jim
Good point.  Where I am under a bunch of falling stuff, I have been known to get the step ladder and brush or hose off.  The majority of the time, there is nothing over the unit (a lot of campgrounds without nice shade) and have had no problem.  Whole bunch of money to replace, and not a lot of work to do without IMHO.
Travel safe and camp well.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom