Traveling with dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernerGran

Are we the only one on here who travel in our Class A motor home and have come upon RV places that have size restrictions? Or charge for each dog? Or, or, or?

It has been our experience that places near resorts and/or the coasts don't like dogs, especially big ones, such as ours are.

Just askin'...discuss?

BernerGran

More and more places are questioning wether the dogs we have are large-we have 4 and they weigh about 7 pounds each. I have a friend who has a large Rotweiler and is not allowed in many places, even though his dog is friendly.

Hi Ernie - I hear you. I know that Rotties are one of the breeds that cause insurance companies heart failure, and in fact can be sometimes more difficult to insure.

It just seems that people ie owners of RV places are not very interested in having dogs.

It bothers me, because we travel when we can and it is practical in our RV. Our dogs are never lose; are crated inside the rig when we leave them. They don't even bark except when we are coming in or when Walt is getting ready to walk them. -- on leash.

He picks up after them. I don't know - just annoys me.

k - done ranting till the next post.

BernerGran

No experience in the East, but I have traveled all over the west with dogs in the 40-lb class.  No problems, even on state parks and in RV resorts.  Commercial RV parks that didn't want dogs would not be in business long.  Some parks do restrict certain breeds, generally the guard dog breeds and pit bulls.  Trailer Life's and Woodall's campground directories list the restrictions for each park.

However, every park has rules about dog behavior.  Most are common sense but do learn them at each park.

What I see are "pet restrictions"..so then you have to ask. Most people are not familiar with our breed, and think they are guard dogs -- the only thing they guard is us -- so they can follow us wherever we go.

For the most part my experience is in places on the Gulf and recently in CA - where they limit the number of dogs. Walt could walk ours separately, and no one would know we had 3, actually.

And charging for dogs??? In hotels I can see it -- campgrounds?? No.

Oh well, just thought I would pop this subject up for discussion. Normally, we have no problems.

BernerGran

We travel with our 75 lb shepard/sharpei mix, and have never been turned away at a campground. When researching destinations, I have noted a few campgrounds with size restrictions that would rule us out, so naturally we avoid them. I do understand the problems the campground owners have with insurance costs and restrictions.

At a county campground in California, I was told the charge for pets (not just dogs) was because of the number of people that think rules don't apply to them.  So someone has to clean up the mess.  I did see this last year  - but kind of a reverse deal - the camper next to us let their dog run loose (no leash) and never picked up any of their dog's mess.  When they were asked to clean up after their dog, their response was "we're paying the (expletive deleted) fee to have someone do it".  As usual, only took that one camper to make the whole campground miserable - their dogs running loose bothering those with no pets, and those with pets kept having to explain it wasn't their dogs!  The rangers were GREAT....they were asked (told) to leave.  And we watched a ranger follow them to be sure they fully left the park and didn't just go to the day use area :D

Once campgrounds start charging for dogs, claiming that they have to have someone pick up after the dogs, then they're opening themselves up to people saying "why should I pick up after my pet when I had to pay the campground so that they could have someone pick up the poop?" Which came first - poop or pay ? I once asked at a campground why they charged for each dog ($1 per day) and they said it was to maintain the fenced doggie area they had with poop bags - now that I can understand.

As for size, more than once, we've told a campground with a size-limit that we had a labrador retreiver and we were always told that that was ok, we were welcome.

Wendy
responsible dog-poop-picker-upper

Oh, and FWIW, last time we stayed at a hotel with Gordon (Holiday Inn Express), we were told there was a $25 cleaning fee for staying with a dog. When I asked what they did extra for the $25 charge, they said, well, it was the extra charge for the dog cleaning. No one could tell me just what they did for the $25 - deep cleaning carpets? washing all the linens, pillows, and bedspreads? Nope, they didn't do that. They charged $25 for "pet cleaning." I had no problem paying an extra fee for extra cleaning. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel room where a cat had stayed unless it had been seriously cleaned. But it would be nice if they could explain what they did for the extra $$.

Anyone want to come pet clean my motorhome for $25?

Wendy

I can't imagine labs being considered big.  Now the newfie my niece had - well, that was a medium sized horse!!!  My son has 2 min-pins that I dearly love, but if he is visiting and brings them - I am forever stepping on one! :eek:

As for the hotel - last week DH stayed at a hotel that was listed as "pet friendly".  About 2 hours in the room and he had an asthma attack.  Apparently the pet cleaning was to dump a bunch of scented powder on the carpet.  Fortunately he was traveling with the 5th wheel and was able to spend the night in it.  No other rooms available, they wouldn't refund money.  So $25 for carpet powder for each room for each night....big profit for that hotel!

Love the commments! I wouldn't mind having someone come and deep clean our MH. That thought is actually embarrassing. lol

I will ask the lady in Del Mar next week, what the charge is for the dogs? I think she told me that there was an area for dogs fenced off - we never let our dogs run in doggie parks or runs because of potential disease. Guess we are old fuddies that way.

I totally understand about having to hire/pay someone to pick up after people. We have been showing dogs for years, and much as I hate to say it - there are al too many people who do not pick up after their dogs. Here's a story for you...a bit off topic...one shw a few years ago, Walt was walking one of our dogs as someone walked by and stopped to let her dog take care of some personal business. When the dog was done, she just walked off. Walt followed her and handed her a "bag".

I don't know. Ours each weigh 95 lbs and no one but their dad - (MDH) has to pick up after them.

Good sharing with all of you.
BernerGran

So far I've not run into a place that won't let you stay with a dog. I have seen some with restrictions against size and some breeds. At the place we stay in Fla. in the winter I guessing 75% of the people have dogs. Down the street some people that did not have a dog bought a box of bones so our dog would stop by and visit each day when my wife walked her. They have a dog park also.

BTW if someone didn't want my dog around I'd go somewhere else, but that's just me.

Another story. My wife broke her ankle this winter. Our dog a Scottie has never barked at or growled at anyone. So when my wife was laying in bed the dog would lay on the corner of the bed and didn't want anyone close. She new something was wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom