The Toad is now Towed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
We bought our first and only motorhome seven months ago, and immediately took off full timing, and elected to learn more about tow systems before we spent another $5000 to tow our 2006 Honda Accord out of the motorhome dealership.

Seven months later, after buying a Sterling All Terrain bar on Ebay, finding out it needed a cross bar for the Honda (not included by the seller), having new mount plates installed, purchasing the Air Force One brake system and having it installed by an authorized installer, and adding wireless tow lights, we can now sashay down the highway of life and not both be driving all day.

What I am most grateful for is the tremendous amount of experience in the Forum that helped us choose more wisely than I think we would have originally. We had settled on a Blue Ox or a Sterling bar, and one of the tipping points was the maneuverability of the All Terrain bar and ease of hookup. I am sure there was a Blue Ox with similar features, but this one answered all my questions about weight (very light) and articulation on uneven ground.

The Air Force One was chosen because I preferred a proportional brake system and the M&G system required extensive mods to the Honda that I did not want to do. I watched the installation, although it was not technically complicated, but I cannot contort my body under the dash and hood like I used to. The $400 labor to install the coach pieces and the towed pieces seemed a cheap price to pay for the thing to work properly. The instructional DVD that came with the kit seemed complete.

When all was said and done, I have a little less than $2500 in the complete solution, so I was money ahead based on the original quote.

Everyone said I would not feel it back there, which is not exactly true, but other than the new length, the first three hundred miles have been uneventful.

I also now know, with some postings from several here, that my Honda does not require a fuse to be removed, and does not draw the battery down with the key in the "I" position and everything (fans, radio, etc) turned off.

We followed everyone's advice and double checked the turning radius (no problems), the lights, the brakes actuating correctly, and the wheels turning correctly. All in all, it was a much more pleasant experience than I originally anticipated, because we did all the homework and listened to the experience of others.

And somehow, the diesel mileage increased materially. I have to figure that out. Possibly because we dropped our speed to 60 mph instead of 62 mph. The jury is still out on that one.

Once again, the Forum proves its worth and I thank all who contribute their expertise and experience regularly - it really makes a difference!

Kim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom