What size jack should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wanting to buy a Jack so i can lift the motor home up and work under it.. Maybe like a floor jack.. Found some 3 ton jacks on craigslist.. Will a floor jack work? Or what should i go with?

Check the front and rear GVWR on your motorhome. On my short 25 foot class A the rear axle rating is 7500 pounds, or 1500 pounds over the max rating for that jack you are talking about. Even my front is almost 4900 pounds. Remember the closer you get to the max weight on the jack, the harder it is going to be to pump it up, and the harder it is on the jack. When I did my brakes, I used a floor jack to slightly raise each corner, then used a twenty ton bottle jack to get it off the ground. Also make sure you have jack stands that will handle the weight. The wimpy stamped steel automotive ones aren't heavy enough.

Jacks and jack stands are definitely tools that you don't want to skimp on.  I have a 10 ton floor jack at the shop that I use for my heavy equipment.  It has a ton of reach and more than enough capacity.  It is also powered by air or hydraulics.  Jacking up my 17,000 lb backhoe is effortless.  the jack is certainly not portable though.  It weighs in around 300 lbs.

I also have a set of twenty ton jack stands.  All said and done, I have about $2,000 invested in these items but I know that that their failure may kill me.  Thats why I prefer overkill in these departments.

If you have a good air compressor, you can also check into an air powered bottle jack.  Those things are awesome.

I once had to jack up one side of the rear of my buddies class C with a 3 ton floor jack and it took all of my 200 lbs to move the handle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom