Propane Restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmarxen

I don't remember where I saw the comment, but in one post there was the mention of propane restrictions for either a bridge or tunnel. Given the fact that large class A RV's have built in propane tanks, how important is this when planning your route when traveling? What impacts do you need to consider?

Thanks,

Jim & Nancy

Some require that the propane be shut off, I believe the Lincoln tunnel connecting New York and New Jersey is one and there are likely many others. B.C. Ferries is quite strict about it.

Tunnels are the issue, because leaking propane can collect in the bottom where it dips under the river (or whatever) and become an explosive mixture. Tunnels through mountains are usually not restricted because there is no dip to collect fumes. Bridges, being open to air, are a non-issue.

There are very few tunnels that totally prohibit propane (the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel is one), but long ones with a low dip often require that the propane tanks be turned off at the tank and they may have an inspection stop to enforce that. I think I've encountered only 3-4 like that in our wide travels.

In short, it is not a major concern in route planning, but something you ought to be aware of.

Ferries also require the propane be turned off.  Usually this is verified when you pay the toll and you're issued a sticker or card to that effect.

Gary RV Roamer said:
There are very few tunnels that totally prohibit propane (the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel is one)

I all tunnels into Manhattan prohibit vehicles with propane (at least they did in the 80s and I expect they are more strict now) but who would be crazy enough to drive a MH around Manhattan?  I guess driving *through* (say Boston to NJ route) NYC might be a problem, but bridges should be OK.

I found this from another forum via google search:
I believe that the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and Fort McHenry tunnels prohibit vehicles with propane tanks. You have to go the long way around on I-695. The same is also true for any of the tunnel river crossings (Hudson and East rivers) going in and out of NYC and for all the tunnels in MA (Big Dig, Sumner & Calahan and Ted Williams Tunnels). Those are all in the Boston area. I don't think there are any other tunnels in MA.

The Lehigh Valley Tunnel in PA requires bottles to be turned off but it's apparently not very well enforced. There is a parking area before the tunnel - back in 2005, we and 2 others (traveling together) pulled over to turn off while 20 other RV's just went right on through.

Back
Top Bottom